Whenever i try to pick at a decent-ish speed my pick gets caught on the string, even if my arm can easily move over the string at the proper speed. Any advice?
Thanks in advance! This has mostly been an issue with things that require fast picking of one string. Slayer, Metallica (One specifically)
Last edited by Cheeseshark at Oct 16, 2014,
Need to work on your picking angle, or else maybe your pick has a bad spot that gets caught. I've had that before.
Slightly angled downward so it's not catching drag across the strings. I would try practicing alternate picking to a metronome also. Slowly increasing the bpm.
I feel like the question about how to hold a pick shouldn't come from a guy who's playing trash metal. If you begin guitar playing, excercise and take your time to build up your speed and ease. For my part, I went directly to something at high tempo and it took me time to be able to pick simple things correctly and stop being a one trick poney. And also, your may harm yourself if you don't prepare properly your wrist.
Quote by Craziork
I feel like the question about how to hold a pick shouldn't come from a guy who's playing trash metal. If you begin guitar playing, excercise and take your time to build up your speed and ease. For my part, I went directly to something at high tempo and it took me time to be able to pick simple things correctly and stop being a one trick poney. And also, your may harm yourself if you don't prepare properly your wrist.

Yeah, I've quickly learned that i need to start with something slower and work my way up to the stuff i really like. I've only been playing for about 7 months, so i guess i was just tired of trying to learn stuff i don't really like all that much. Thanks for the advice.