I just got my first guitar with a floyd Rose it's an ibanez Rgr320 but my question is tuning it. I read online to loosen the locks near the headstock and tune it. Go over the strings multiple times until it's close since the bridge moves then lock them down. Then use the fine tuners to make it perfect. I did this and it worked fine for standard. Then I tried to tune down to Eb and once I got it tuned (seemed like a lot of down winding) the B and high E were completely slapped against my bridge pickup ( Which is a V8) the bridge pickup seems way higher than the neck pickup that is a V7. Is this a problem with what I did tuning or is the pickup put on it wrong? I just got the guitar brand new so I don't know much about it
Last edited by awokenjb3 at Oct 16, 2014,
Look at the bridge, see if it's noticeably tilted back. The bridge should be parallel to the body. If it's tilted back, your springs need to be adjusted. Floyd Rose website has videos to walk you through this as well as restringing and tuning, etc.
Two things here:

1) Tuning changes with a Floyd are not as simple as turning the pegs, locking it down and fine tuning. At the very least you'll need to adjust the trem springs in the back cavity to get the bridge back to level. Did you notice the trem angling back after you tuned down? I suppose this could the strings closer to the pickups - although a half-step shouldn't have them hitting anything. Anyway, loosen the springs to compensate for the reduced string tension under lower tuning (plenty of Floyd setup guides around) and bring the bridge back to level with the strings in tune. This is your starting point from which to adjust the string height (action) and subsequently, the pickup height.

2) The two central screws either side of each pickup adjust the pickup height. There's no right or wrong here really - although you probably want an even output from both and have them not hitting the strings haha. Sounds like the bridge pickup could be dropped a bit. Impress your mates by telling them you're gonna spend the weekend lowering your V8 with just a Phillips head.

Also, pics would help, just to be sure.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
Last edited by Danustar at Oct 17, 2014,
The easiest way to tune a Floyd Rose and make the sure the bridge is level is this:

1. Block the bridge in correct alignment.

2. Tune the guitar to intended pitch.

3. Remove bridge-block.

4. Adjust trem-claw until guitar is in pitch.

5. Done.

Sure, you can tune the guitar for 45 minutes one string at a time too, and it doesn't necessarily mean worse results, but why would you?
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by Danustar
Two things here:

1) Tuning changes with a Floyd are not as simple as turning the pegs, locking it down and fine tuning. At the very least you'll need to adjust the trem springs in the back cavity to get the bridge back to level. Did you notice the trem angling back after you tuned down? I suppose this could the strings closer to the pickups - although a half-step shouldn't have them hitting anything. Anyway, loosen the springs to compensate for the reduced string tension under lower tuning (plenty of Floyd setup guides around) and bring the bridge back to level with the strings in tune. This is your starting point from which to adjust the string height (action) and subsequently, the pickup height.

2) The two central screws either side of each pickup adjust the pickup height. There's no right or wrong here really - although you probably want an even output from both and have them not hitting the strings haha. Sounds like the bridge pickup could be dropped a bit. Impress your mates by telling them you're gonna spend the weekend lowering your V8 with just a Phillips head.

Also, pics would help, just to be sure.

Thanks for the help, I wasn't sure the pickup was that easily adjustable I was always scared of harming the magnetizem. I will try to loosen the springs and such after looking at the guides you talked about. heres some photos of the pickups
http://1drv.ms/1vl6l9F
Quote by HomerSGR
The easiest way to tune a Floyd Rose and make the sure the bridge is level is this:

1. Block the bridge in correct alignment.

2. Tune the guitar to intended pitch.

3. Remove bridge-block.

4. Adjust trem-claw until guitar is in pitch.

5. Done.

Sure, you can tune the guitar for 45 minutes one string at a time too, and it doesn't necessarily mean worse results, but why would you?

Yeah im gonna have to check out some guides. I understand what you said but ive never done it before so I don't want to mess anything up lol
The Floyd Rose is a floating bridge and when you get everything in tune..it'll stay there pretty well. The problem is, when you tune down to E flat, you are changing the balance of the bridge. In other words...less string tension...and it causes the bridge to move a bit because the springs in the back have less tension to fight against. Then you start tuning up the strings again, which causes the bridge to move again until you get to that point where the balance between the string tension and spring tension equal again. Any sort of floating bridge is not idea for quick tuning changes between songs unfortunately.
Quote by Cynamin
The Floyd Rose is a floating bridge and when you get everything in tune..it'll stay there pretty well. The problem is, when you tune down to E flat, you are changing the balance of the bridge. In other words...less string tension...and it causes the bridge to move a bit because the springs in the back have less tension to fight against. Then you start tuning up the strings again, which causes the bridge to move again until you get to that point where the balance between the string tension and spring tension equal again. Any sort of floating bridge is not idea for quick tuning changes between songs unfortunately.

Yeah I understand some what. but when you adjust the springs how do you know what the perfect level is for the bridge? It just has to be parallel?
Quote by rickyvanh
Look at the bridge, see if it's noticeably tilted back. The bridge should be parallel to the body. If it's tilted back, your springs need to be adjusted. Floyd Rose website has videos to walk you through this as well as restringing and tuning, etc.

thank you
I just recently installed a "trem-stopper" on mine about a week ago. It stops the bridge so it can't tilt back. Now I can tune down, and to drop-d, plus it's less headache tuning and restringing. It is a godsend.

Putting strings on correctly and fully stretching them is crucial. The slightest thing can create tuning issues.
Last edited by rickyvanh at Oct 17, 2014,
Quote by rickyvanh
I just recently installed a "trem-stopper" on mine about a week ago. It stops the bridge so it can't tilt back. Now I can tune down, and to drop-d, plus it's less headache tuning and restringing. It is a godsend.

Putting strings on correctly and fully stretching them is crucial. The slightest thing can create tuning issues.

Sounds like a good investment, maybe I'll look into one of those
It was like $25 and it took about 4 minutes to install. I got it from F-U Tone.
wooden block > pos tremol-no
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by awokenjb3
Yeah I understand some what. but when you adjust the springs how do you know what the perfect level is for the bridge? It just has to be parallel?

Parallel to the body, yes.

Quote by awokenjb3
Sounds like a good investment, maybe I'll look into one of those

No. No, it's decidely not a good investment. They're pieces of shit, which don't even do as advertised.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Oct 17, 2014,
Quote by JagerSlushy
wooden block > pos tremol-no

This thing allows you to dive bomb, you just can't pull back on the bar any more. It's not that tremel-no contraption, it's a little brass L-shaped part that has a set screw that the trem block rests against.
Last edited by rickyvanh at Oct 17, 2014,
Quote by rickyvanh
This thing allows you to dive bomb, you just can't pull back on the bar any more. It's not that tremel-no contraption, it's a little brass L-shaped part that has a set screw that the trem block rests against.

Yeah thats pretty cool, so for now I should just block it with something to tune to drop d then adjust the bridge by making those springs looser?
I don't think it would hurt to try. I've seen people use an eraser or carve a wine cork into a block. If the block falls out while you are playing, it will still be helpful to use for stabilizing the bridge during adjustments and what-not.