Hello. I want to buy a bass guitar for DAW (Studio One 2). Two people on the S1 website have recommended this bass:

Ibanez GSRM20

However, I'm concerned that the bass is a "short-scale" bass. Does that change the sound at all? Also, are the 22 frets still there? I'd rather have a smaller bass like this one if I can get away w/ it. However, I don't want to sacrifice tone or anything.

Thanks.
Quote by selftaught1000
Hello. I want to buy a bass guitar for DAW (Studio One 2). Two people on the S1 website have recommended this bass:

Ibanez GSRM20

However, I'm concerned that the bass is a "short-scale" bass. Does that change the sound at all? Also, are the 22 frets still there? I'd rather have a smaller bass like this one if I can get away w/ it. However, I don't want to sacrifice tone or anything.

A short-scale bass is just a bass which has a shorter neck, same as a short-scale guitar has a shorter neck. So...in terms of practicality, what does that mean? Well, you may have issues tuning it really low, so don't do anything crazy like tune to Drop A. Other than that, not much else to worry about. And, yes, it still has 22 frets, like the URL says.
Yes, short scale basses do sound different to standard ones. Not necessarily worse (or better) just different.
Quote by chatterbox272
Yes, short scale basses do sound different to standard ones. Not necessarily worse (or better) just different.

In what way do they sound different?
Quote by diabolical
Isn't there ready available web articles on short scale bases? I'd suggest you do your research and we'd be happy to clarify further.

I looked at them. There is no consensus one way or the other. But, from what I can tell, the short-scale basses have been reviewed fairly positively.--though not as positively as the traditional.

The main justifications for the short-scale seem to be their lighter weight and comparative ease of tuning.

I am thinking about a short-scale bass because I want something more like a guitar as this is just to fill out my guitar riffs and the bass is going to track the guitar to a significant extent.

I'll probably get the short-scale unless I hear otherwise. Thanks.
If you want something more like a guitar buy a Fender Bass VI

Short scale basses tend to sound rounder and less aggressive. No reason why you can't use them for metal but I don't really think it'd sound as good.

Just learn to play bass.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
If you want something more like a guitar buy a Fender Bass VI

Short scale basses tend to sound rounder and less aggressive. No reason why you can't use them for metal but I don't really think it'd sound as good.

Just learn to play bass.

Do you have a recommendation for a good long-scale that is $200 max?