Hi fellow UG-ers,

my name is Bob, and I recently started a band again after a long hiatus of not playing in a band. We're a 3 piece pop punk/punk rock band and in the past month or so, after replacing our previous bass player, we've mnaged to write 3 songs, in preparation for an upcoming EP we're hoping to release.

Usually my bass player and I sit down and write songs together, and I come up with the melody and the words. I tend to write songs that are quite personal to me, drawing on my own experiences with failed relationships and so on. We havent played it live to a crowd yet, but so far we've gotten good feedback from friends,etc.

I actually feel quite uncomfortable at the thought of singing such personal things to a crowd, because it really feels like im bring my soul. of course i dont pin point names or anything in the songs, but because I write them the way I do, it comes across as very honest i suppose, and i think to an extent, paints me as a pretty vulnerable person, which Im thinking isnt very desirable.

Yet, i do know that musicians always say that the best songs come from the heart. But im unsure if I want to necessarily let the whole world hear my insecurities and vulnerabilities. Should I cut back on that and write things in the vein of being more general or applicable? They always say being honest is a good thing, but I think sometimes when you open yourself up that much to people, especially strangers in a crowd, people can use that against you to some extent, and sometimes i think being guarded migt be a good thing.

I dont know, what do you guys reckon? anyone else feel the same way when you craft songs?
Obviously you don't want to go too much one way or the other. Every songwriter has their personal songs. I think that they should be played live. But you also need the general songs that everyone can connect to.
Quote by bob_delonge
\because it really feels like im bring my soul.

, but I think sometimes when you open yourself up that much to people, especially strangers in a crowd, people can use that against you to some extent, and sometimes i think being guarded migt be a good thing.

I dont know, what do you guys reckon? anyone else feel the same way when you craft songs?

Well, for one reason or another my lyrics always come out really spacey and vague, often to the point of complete ambiguity, but if you can bear your soul with music and lyrics, then i'd say you're doing the world an immense service.

Think about it like this: everyone has vulnerable places within them, and we all go through trials and suffering in life... but who amongst us is brave enough to admit to this, and not only admit it but put it into music and entertainment( in like, the cosmic sense of the word )?

I think what you need is courage, not just another lyrical wall. People will probably surprise you... sure, there are jerks out there who will want to hurt you just because they can,
but for ever person like that there are 100 more who will thank you and tell you just how much they understand your music and that it helped them to know someone else felt or thought the same way they did.

Do you, amigo, do you.
Quote by vz2424
Obviously you don't want to go too much one way or the other. Every songwriter has their personal songs. I think that they should be played live. But you also need the general songs that everyone can connect to.

Yeah I think youre right about the balance. i need to strike it out with certain songs that aply across the board to anyone, and perhaps more vulnerable songs that might appeal to a smaller cross section of people. or who knows, it might go down well with other people too, i dont know. Thank you
Quote by The Flying Whiz
Well, for one reason or another my lyrics always come out really spacey and vague, often to the point of complete ambiguity, but if you can bear your soul with music and lyrics, then i'd say you're doing the world an immense service.

Think about it like this: everyone has vulnerable places within them, and we all go through trials and suffering in life... but who amongst us is brave enough to admit to this, and not only admit it but put it into music and entertainment( in like, the cosmic sense of the word )?

I think what you need is courage, not just another lyrical wall. People will probably surprise you... sure, there are jerks out there who will want to hurt you just because they can,
but for ever person like that there are 100 more who will thank you and tell you just how much they understand your music and that it helped them to know someone else felt or thought the same way they did.

Do you, amigo, do you.

Cheers bruv, super appreciate the vote of confidence. I guess. i was kinda veering between "does admitting I feel this way make me look weak?" and "does admitting i feel this way make me look normal and alright, even strong?" What you said just put everything into perspective, and I thank you for that. Sure there'll be people that will probably say im a pussy or whatever, but nyehhhh, those are probably the same people who act tough all the time cos theyre afraid of being hurt or whatever.

I'll just do me then, and we'll see where it goes. i guess music is one of those things where we shouldnt be afraid to be ourselves, cos in the "real" world of appearances, we get enough fake, artificial people as it is.

Thanks man, much appreciated