Okay I've done 4 coats so far of nitrocellulose lacquer on my guitar I've built. Between each layer I've used a very fine sandpaper (1000-1200 grit and occasionally 800 if its really bumpy). It looks good looking at it straight on but from the side it seems very patchy and I was wondering if I've done something wrong or not well enough. (one thing that may help you understand my problem is that I've been brushing on the lacquer)

Anyway any help and advice you give me will be useful

Thanks
You need to buff the guitar finish. I use a drill attachment and Meguiar's sirl remover then the mirror glaze by hand.

But be careful to not burn the paint (keep the buffer moving at all times)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Okay thanks, that sounds good. Is it possible to buff by hand, or should I just do it how you said?
It's possible, i guess, but it will take a very long time to achieve the same result that you'd get with a powered buffer(or drill attachment).
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
^+1
You can but it is a pain in the ass. If you can wait a week you can get these from amazon for cheap $11 www.amazon.com/Pro-Buffing-Ball-High-Speed-Polisher/dp/B003VLAFVY/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1413561060&sr=1-1&keywords=buffing+ball
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Your in no position to wetsand or buff yet if you have only done 4 coats. You'll need at least double that and really triple (12 coats) would be better. I'm not sure how compatible Nitro is with brushing, your application could well be your problem, you'd be better off buying aerosols.
Agree. Nice thin coats. 10 - 12 of them for clear coats, as you will remove some when sanding and buffing to the final finish.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Last edited by Phoenix V at Oct 18, 2014,
You need more coats, but there's really no need to sand in between them. Just recoat within the recommended time on the can.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by mtshark
You need more coats, but there's really no need to sand in between them. Just recoat within the recommended time on the can.

I learned after a while that it worked better for me not to sand in-between, too. Also, I'd lay 3 coats consecutively, 3X a day for 3 days ... so, 27 coats, at least for the clearcoat.

Okay, well I'm not gonna start using an aerosol now, but I will do more coats before I start buffing. Though is there a way to get more of an even coat using a brush?
Quote by EpicGuitarGuy13
Okay, well I'm not gonna start using an aerosol now, but I will do more coats before I start buffing. Though is there a way to get more of an even coat using a brush?

Yes, but you will spend $50ish on a good brush that can do it. So really aerosol would be easier and cheaper
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate