I FOUND A 150 WATT line 6 spider 3 2x12 combo for 230 bucks im thinking of buying this to replace my current amp.
i know everybody thinks tube amps sound better vs solid state but im after a certain sound and alot of the people that do covers of my favorite band on youtube use this amp because of its factory presets happen to have 3 or 4 different setups for this band my question is: is this a good amp for the amount of money im paying? aLso how durable are these amps, are they loud enough to play with a drumer and a bass player? also if needed could i run a mixer into this amp for dual guitars and a drum mic for capturing the drum sound ie bass drum ect and 2 mics for each guitar player and maybe a mic for the drummer? also can i still run my pedals/ effects proccessor thru the amp? basically im trying to find out if this would be a decent amp to practise in a small band with and practise at home im fed up with my current setup and it seems this is a good way to go for cheap so if you have info on this amp let me know!
The amp will be loud enough, yes. You can still run your pedals through it, and it does indeed have a line-out so you can record directly to an interface or to a mixer in live situations. It will sound just as good quiet as it will loudly. And yes, $230 is a good price for that amp.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
No $250 is way too much for that amp, $100-$150 is what it is worth
Give me a second and I'll find you a good gig able amp for $250-$300
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Here if you want modeling amps this Spider Valve sounds way better and is the same price. It will easily keep up with a band. And it is $250
www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Used-Line-6-Spider-Valve-40W-1X12-Black-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110561223-i3961442.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
keep in mind thats 240 dollars shipped to my door well acctually my mothers door because i dont trust the shady hoodrats in my aparment complex -_- then only amp i could find local was a 75 watt 2x12 line 6 spider 3 and they want 200 for it so 240 sounds legit to me also keep in mind i want the amp for its preset modeling ie it has presets for green day and thats as close as im ever going to get
Here is a 2x12 Peavey Vypyr tube for $250
www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used-Peavey-Vypyr-Tube-2X12-120W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110499228-i3955247.gc

This and the spider Valve are miles above the Spider 3
Your reasoning is not very bright. either of those 2 amps are much better and can be tweeked to get those sounds. The spider presets even on the spider valve suck, I had a Spider valve for 4 years and I made all my own patches because the stock are not very good and the volume differences in them is horrid
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 17, 2014,
150 watts should be plenty loud to play with a drummer and bass player. When you ask if you can run a mixer into it, are you asking if it has a line out? If so, my answer is most likely. It might be a bit powerful for playing at home, but should be fine for playing with a band.
Gear:

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson
im trying to find something right out of the box that i can plug in not do any tweeking to and just set it to the green day presets and have a close to dead on green day sound . but i also want a 2x12 ampm, if i had money i would buy a amp head and a 4 x12 cab but sadly thats not in my budget right now.
it also needs to be able to keep up in a small band and be able to play a bar gig or an outdoor stage event if needed. like every year we have a local carnival at the community center and they let homegrown bands go up on stage sometimes and play for an hour or so to the crowd ussally a couple hundred people within range of the stage. so short of a half stack a 2x 12 is a good option for a louder setup aleast in my mind.
Good luck
The presets don't sound like the bands very much
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 17, 2014,
if thats true why are there people on youtube that get really close to sounding like the band?? alot of the people i watch on youtube are running shittier line 6 amps and they sound close not perfect but its a place to start right??
I'm just trying to save you from buying an amp that yes the wow factor at the beginning is awesome, but you will grow tired of it within a year and want a "better" sounding amp.

The Spider Valve has those presets built in, but it sounds much better than the spider 3. The Peavey vypyr tube is really good also and it models a variety of amps and FX.

Look in the end, you need to be happy, but trust me I owned the original spider, Spider II and a Spider valve. The spidervalve was way better, just trying to help you save another "I need a better amp, mom" in a year.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Line 6 Spiders are just awful imo. I just don't like the sound of them.

Go play a Line 6 Spider next to a Peavey Vypyr Tube and you'll see why everyone on UG doesn't like Spiders. But it's your money at the end of the day.

I'm curious to know what videos on Youtube made you think they sounded identical to the artists you're thinking of emulating.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 17, 2014,
Pretty close, but don't you think the tone is a little flat? Theres no life for me
Also, bare in mind that BJ Armstrong uses a marshal valve amp, so if you're thinking is that you want to sound just like Green Day, then the Line 6 will only take you so far before you just get disappointed.
I too thought that the Spider 3 was going to be the greatest thing ever with all the presets- but a year or two down the line you will probably want to upgrade.

Listen to the pit. You came here for advice, people are giving it to you with honest opinions and experiences. Otherwise you just waste your time and ours.
Get what ever you want like I said you have to be happy not us.

And IMO those videos don't sound very good and have pretty bad tone

^+1
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
really in reality i think the amps sound pretty danm close yea i agree there not perfect but i think thats more to do with the mics they where recorded with. nothing will ever be 100 percent perfect but short of buying a jcm 900 half stack or spending 20 grand on plexi modded marshall amps and 8 speaker cabs im never going to get 100 percent of the tone i want for me learning guitar is my hobby i have bills to pay and i cant blow 300 bucks unless im 100 percent positive it what i want/ need i was acctually hoping to hear more good reviews that might help me commit to buying this amp. but if you guys are saying its shit im going to take your advise and check out your suggestions before i buy anything. im on a very tight budget so i have to see where your suggestions will put me budget wise also. at this point i would love to have even a shitty amp if it helps me get closer to the sound i want to i can hear the music im trying to create and if its sounding like the actuall song at all. for me i think once i get the sound nailed down i will be more dedicated to learning all the songs i want and creating my own songs right now my setup sounds like garbage and i really have no desire to play i would hazard to say that pretty much any amp i buy over 100 bucks will sound better than what i have now
That is a good choice, go try some amps out in your price range and see which you like the best and get that one. You have to be happy not us.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I had a spider for years as well. I actually had a spider III, then "upgraded" to a spider IV after they came out. I wanted the presets. Bought the amp, and thought it was great. About 2 years later, I started to realize the models had no life and everything sounded flat and muddy. The same thing will happen to you. Go try the Peavey before you settle for the Spider.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Every time you post a thread here you get advice against your choices, and yet you defend them and argue against people infinitely more knowledgeable and experienced than you.

That renders your threads pointless, since you clearly have your mind made up and don't follow the advice people give you.

SO STOP POSTING HERE AND GTFO.

And enjoy you POS chinese Strat copy and crappy Line6 Spider.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Well that was deff not sugar coated
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Line 6 amps are generally terrible in relation to a good tube amp. However, for $230 it's really not anything to worry about - that's the cost of a decent pedal! You can't find a usable tube amp anywhere near that price range. Even if you buy the amp and hate it, you're really not taking much of a loss there. It'll be a decent practice amp in any event.
Quote by Linkerman
Every time you post a thread here you get advice against your choices, and yet you defend them and argue against people infinitely more knowledgeable and experienced than you.

That renders your threads pointless, since you clearly have your mind made up and don't follow the advice people give you.

SO STOP POSTING HERE AND GTFO.

And enjoy you POS chinese Strat copy and crappy Line6 Spider.

To the OP -- buy what you like and enjoy.
We obviously have a small number of vocal and highly opinionated people here who don't like some Line 6 amps, and if you aren't following their advice and matching their tastes, they get very cranky. Certainly doesn't mean that they speak for the forum.

Link, Dude. Here, have a Snickers.

Quote by reverb66
Line 6 amps are generally terrible in relation to a good tube amp. However, for $230 it's really not anything to worry about - that's the cost of a decent pedal! You can't find a usable tube amp anywhere near that price range. Even if you buy the amp and hate it, you're really not taking much of a loss there. It'll be a decent practice amp in any event.

No this is false. Line 6 makes some pretty nice amps, the spider is not one of them.

For $230 you can get a better sounding amp and TS want to use it for practicing/jamming with others. Besides $230 is way over priced

Here is one for $159 at Guitar Center
www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Used-Line-6-2010s-Spider-III-150-2X12-150W-Black-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110417277-i3891439.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by dspellman
To the OP -- buy what you like and enjoy.
We obviously have a small number of vocal and highly opinionated people here who don't like some Line 6 amps, and if you aren't following their advice and matching their tastes, they get very cranky. Certainly doesn't mean that they speak for the forum.

Link, Dude. Here, have a Snickers.

(Invalid img)

You totally missed the point, and you're wrong. I'm not "vocal and highly opinionated against some Line 6 amps".

I suggest you go and read some of the other threads created by the OP in the recent past (if he hasn't deleted them yet). Then you'll probably understand my position.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
with my current setup i already feel as you describe like i hear people with different amps useing my affects proccesor and it sounds so much better so either i suck at guitar or i cant hear if my own amp sounds good or not or i just need a new amp that makes sounds i want :O
whats wrong with getting opinions from others who might have decent information to share???. im trying to bounce ideas off people here before i commit to do anything. its not my fault theres people who are obssesed with tube amps and that have a strong hate against line 6 products theres always going to be haters and people who are loyal to a certain product im trying to have a conversation with other like minded people and get input on if the products im looking at unlike most of the people on here i dont have a fancy job that pays really well so i can afford a full tube head by marshall and a 500 dollar pedal and a pedal board worth 5 grand and guitars worth 1-10k a piece im a poor kid trying to have some fun with my hobby. i cant just take the advise of one person just because they had a bad exspierence with a certain product that could just be personal taste. im trying to get awnsers to my questions without risking what to me is a shit ton of money to most of you guys 300 bucks is nothing to me thats half a paycheck for 2 weeks depending on how much overtime i rack up
mr42ndstblvd, it's obvious you've already decided to buy the amp. You don't need our approval.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER