Well after having a fair amount of time to experiment with the sounds of the Peavey XXX, I have concluded that I get best, fullest, and smoothest distorted sound with the power amp up at least to 8.

Now since I'm in the basement most of the time, the only way I can get the power tubes cranked that high is to have the preamp turned way down. On the Crunch channel with the gain about 5 and the preamp volume set on 1-2, this results in a nice thick and full distortion sound.

Any downside to doing this?

Only thing I can think of is that there is now no possible way to get preamp clipping on the clean channel naturally, since the preamp volume needs to be 1-2, but with an OD pedal, that really isn't too big of a concern. On the flip side, the clean channel is really clean now.

Thoughts?
You might burn through tubes faster depending on the bias of the amp. But it is perfectly safe, that is why there are those different knobs to turn and twist
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hot power tubes are the best!

If you want to explore even further you can bias the amp hotter. The power tubes are biased super cold from the factory so if you turn up the bias you can get that lovely grind at lower volumes and probably notice a bit more of that warm, throaty growl.

All of these things will reduce your tube life a bit, but modern tubes often blow out before they wear out anyway, and besides, what are tubes for if not to be played loud until they die?
Attenuator time?
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Interesting. I might have to try this with my 6505+. Just turn the preamp gain way down and the post gain up, right? God help me if I accidentally bump the preamp gain knob...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
Interesting. I might have to try this with my 6505+. Just turn the preamp gain way down and the post gain up, right? God help me if I accidentally bump the preamp gain knob...

In theory, yes. In practice, I didn't put the master volume at 10, just about 8.

I notice quite a difference on a guitar with passive pickups. Actives, not so much, but still a difference.
Quote by KailM

Might not have the desired effect. I believe the 5150/6505 series have super clean power amps and they let the preamp do most of the tone work. It's more complicated than that, but I haven't heard of anyone buying these amps for power tube saturation.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Yeah, it definitely depends on the amps. I've been playing a lot of Orange amps recently, and they behave very differently than what I'm used to, as I've spent the most time with huge 120W Peavey monsters, where the preamp gain is just preamp gain, and doesn't have a notable effect on volume. On more vintage styled amps, the preamp gain isn't really just a preamp gain, it's more like an additional volume knob. And both the master and preamp gains add volume, but in different places. It's weird and I'm not sure if I really like it. I like just having the volume, and the gain.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Pull two tubes. On those the pairs are side by side. So pull V5 and V6 or V7 and V8. That will drop the power in half allowing you to drive them harder at slightly lower volumes. If that isn't enough, buy an attenuator. Don't forget to flick the impedance switch on the amp down one notch.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Offworld92
Yeah, it definitely depends on the amps. I've been playing a lot of Orange amps recently, and they behave very differently than what I'm used to, as I've spent the most time with huge 120W Peavey monsters, where the preamp gain is just preamp gain, and doesn't have a notable effect on volume. On more vintage styled amps, the preamp gain isn't really just a preamp gain, it's more like an additional volume knob. And both the master and preamp gains add volume, but in different places. It's weird and I'm not sure if I really like it. I like just having the volume, and the gain.

I can upload a recording of me playing through my orange rockerverb 50. The clean channel (cranked) cuts 3 times better than the OD one when playing with my band or on recording

And Indeed cranking the gain does not increase volume much on this beasty. If anyhting turning the gain down and volume up instantly cuts 50% better with my band.

Quote by Cathbard
Pull two tubes. On those the pairs are side by side. So pull V5 and V6 or V7 and V8. That will drop the power in half allowing you to drive them harder at slightly lower volumes. If that isn't enough, buy an attenuator. Don't forget to flick the impedance switch on the amp down one notch.

This is what I did 8 years ago on a Marshall JCM 900. Good advice indeed. I remember playing for about 400 people, and the soundman waved at me that even with my channel strip on mute he could still not boost my band above me on his PA

Stacks "sigh"

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Oct 18, 2014,
on my dual terror i have it set up for the volume at 10 and use the gain for adjusting loudness. you can really heat it up nicely.

the other channel is with the gain at 3:00 and volume wherever.

______

BUT... my 18w and jtm45 are the secks when you hit those power tubes and cook them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/