I am looking to get my first electric guitar.

Budget: $300

Condition: used

Artists: I want to play a little bit of everything (eventually): metallica, chili peppers, foo fighters, general rock (50s-90s). Not too much into metal, but I would like the option if possible

Preference: Don't really care about the shape, I like whatever will sound best for my style of music.

Configuration: I'm a noob so I don't know (coils, etc)

Current Gear: None

So I guess I'm looking for the widest range possible. I was thinking of one of the following: Yamaha 112v, Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Epiphone Es-335 Dot. I'm sure there are other that people will recommend and I appreciate it.

For an AMP, I'm also new, but I think the Fender Mustang I 20W seems like a decent option. Other AMP recommendations around $100-150?

I appreciate it. I've been on eBay and Craigslist for a few days and lurking on these forums, but there seems to be so many opinions.

EDIT: I found a yamaha on craigslist near me for $100, is this a good deal? He can't tell me if its 112J or 112V. (description below)

"Gloss black Yamaha Pacifica electric guitar. Great playing guitar with upgrades. This is Yamaha's version of a Strat style guitar. Strat style tremolo bridge. It has three pickups...two single-coil Fender Strat pickups and one humbucker. New Ernie Ball .010 Super Slinky strings. Rosewood fretboard. Maple neck. Great overall condition. Just needs a player!

Here's a list of upgrades....

1) All six tuners are brand new...one of the original ones was bad, so I changed them all, same type as original.

2) GFS (Guitar Fetish online) solid brass tremolo block for better tone and sustain.

3) Inside of the body cavity coated with three coats of Stewart-MacDonald conductive shielding paint. This is EXPENSIVE stuff (but worth it), made for shielding electric guitar bodies. Check the Stew-Mac web site for more information. Additional ground wire and lug added, connecting the ground circuit of the pickup wiring harness to the shielded body cavity...this takes full advantage of the shielding paint. New Fenders come shielded this way. The shielding reduces the "hum" that Strat-style guitars are known for.

4) The two single-coil pickups are from a Fender Strat.

5) New stainless steel bridge saddles from GFS (improves tone and playability). This guitar sounds AWESOME!!!!

6) New volume and tone knobs.

7) High quality Switchcraft brand output jack."
Last edited by james.m.marshal at Oct 17, 2014,
Quote by james.m.marshal
I am looking to get my first electric guitar.

Budget: $300

Condition: used

Artists: I want to play a little bit of everything (eventually): metallica, chili peppers, foo fighters, general rock (50s-90s). Not too much into metal, but I would like the option if possible

Preference: Don't really care about the shape, I like whatever will sound best for my style of music.

Configuration: I'm a noob so I don't know (coils, etc)

Current Gear: None

So I guess I'm looking for the widest range possible. I was thinking of one of the following: Yamaha 112v, Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Epiphone Es-335 Dot. I'm sure there are other that people will recommend and I appreciate it.

For an AMP, I'm also new, but I think the Fender Mustang I 20W seems like a decent option. Other AMP recommendations around $100-150?

I appreciate it. I've been on eBay and Craigslist for a few days and lurking on these forums, but there seems to be so many opinions.

EDIT: I found a yamaha on craigslist near me for $100, is this a good deal? He can't tell me if its 112J or 112V. (description below)

"Gloss black Yamaha Pacifica electric guitar. Great playing guitar with upgrades. This is Yamaha's version of a Strat style guitar. Strat style tremolo bridge. It has three pickups...two single-coil Fender Strat pickups and one humbucker. New Ernie Ball .010 Super Slinky strings. Rosewood fretboard. Maple neck. Great overall condition. Just needs a player!

Here's a list of upgrades....

1) All six tuners are brand new...one of the original ones was bad, so I changed them all, same type as original.

2) GFS (Guitar Fetish online) solid brass tremolo block for better tone and sustain.

3) Inside of the body cavity coated with three coats of Stewart-MacDonald conductive shielding paint. This is EXPENSIVE stuff (but worth it), made for shielding electric guitar bodies. Check the Stew-Mac web site for more information. Additional ground wire and lug added, connecting the ground circuit of the pickup wiring harness to the shielded body cavity...this takes full advantage of the shielding paint. New Fenders come shielded this way. The shielding reduces the "hum" that Strat-style guitars are known for.

4) The two single-coil pickups are from a Fender Strat.

5) New stainless steel bridge saddles from GFS (improves tone and playability). This guitar sounds AWESOME!!!!

6) New volume and tone knobs.

7) High quality Switchcraft brand output jack."

The Pacifica is probably fine for you.
The other two guitars should be fine starters.
I like PRS. You might be able to get a used PRS SE for 300-ish.
Definitely look for a Made in USA Peavey Predator. Good value if you can find one.
Consider reducing the guitar budget by 75$. Use that money on a professional setup.
Your best bet may be to head on over to Rondo Music's website and purchase an Agile Les Paul. I have not had the pleasure but they are supposedly very good. 225$ for the basic models.

As for amps, I would change the goal. I think your best bet is to jump on the first modeling amp that you can get for 50 bucks or less. Use that as you're getting acclimated and you'll eventually figure out why most of us prefer to spend more and get a decent tube amp. I'm at that point now myself.
+1 for an Agile al2000. I have a Yamaha 112j, its a good guitar for the money. I also have an Agile AL2000, its a stunning guitar for the money. You can't go wrong with either but given a choice between the two, without hesitation, I would take the Agile every time. I would also take the Agile over the Epi Dot but I really like Dots too. It'd be a good idea to head to the nearest Guitar Center and try every guitar on the wall. Blindly buying a guitar is a bad idea cause what physically works for some people may not for others. You at least wanna narrow down your options to a body style.

As for amps, the Mustang is an excellent starter amp. You may wanna check out the Vox Valvetronix, Roland Cube and Peavey Vyper too. They're all good starter amps and will work well for you.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Update:

Went with a Pac112V, Mustang I v2 modeling amp (watched/read several reviews), new strings, a cable and a few picks of different strengths. All together was about $270.
congrats!
now make sure you're always having fun. If you're not having fun then change something so that it's fun again.
Nice choice - plenty of people will swear by the Pacifica, especially as a beginner guitar, so you're in good company.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
congrats man you cant go wrong with the Pac112V and the Mustang will help you aiming at your tone
please ignore my username
I went to the local pawn shop just to look around at video games today and saw a MiM Fender Strat for $225, it was in great shape. I could trade the 112V for $150 and pay $75 they said. Worth it or not? It seems the Yamaha is more of a superstrat though. In order to play mostly rock/alternative and maybe some metal I would assume the Yamaha would be better.
Quote by james.m.marshal
I went to the local pawn shop just to look around at video games today and saw a MiM Fender Strat for $225, it was in great shape. I could trade the 112V for $150 and pay $75 they said. Worth it or not? It seems the Yamaha is more of a superstrat though. In order to play mostly rock/alternative and maybe some metal I would assume the Yamaha would be better.

I wouldn't bother. MiM Strats are very common. You could make that deal anywhere, any day. Instead you should use the Pacifica to learn some things.

When you've got enough playing time under your belt then you'll be able to pick up a nicer guitar and it'll be obvious if it's better for you.
When I was just starting out (not that long ago tbh) I could barely tell the difference between my Epiphone and the MiA Strat that I had been lent.
HNGD! Make sure you share the joy of music with your neighbors!
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I recommend an ibanez good for metal and everything else
There are a lot of ibanez guitar that'd go well with your budget
I had a grg150p it was flawless
Good luck