I was trying to play along to this song which I always thought was in the key of D, but everything I played sounded flat. The thing is, when I started playing in Eb, everything was sharp. I looked up a guitar cover on YouTube and his guitar sounded off as well. Is this song in-between two keys? That's so strange. Especially since they use a ton of synths, which you would assume would be perfectly on pitch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIDzcpBYHaU

Maybe I'm just insane. So confused.
People sometimes tune a 1/4 step down. Burzum is the only band I know that's done it, but there's probably a fee others others.

As for the synths being perfectly on pitch, if you want the pitch to be off, you can just twist your tune knob a bit
My Bloody Valentine has done it a bunch as well. It happens more often than not.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
My Bloody Valentine has done it a bunch as well. It happens more often than not.

No.
Wrong expression, I mean "It happens more than you would think"
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Sometimes who ever is producing it will speed the master up or down just a bit and that will cause it to be between tunings. In a lot of cases it's done more for the feel of the song rather than the tuning but it sure screws with us when we are trying to learn the song of play along with the recording! Photograph by Def Leppard is like that.
It is just not tuned to A=440Hz.

A=440Hz is not the only tuning there is. For example classical bands usually tune to A=442Hz.

It may also be that the tape was sped up/slowed down just a bit in the studio.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Wow, that's interesting. I've honestly never heard of anyone doing that before but hey, I guess you learn something new every day. I think they probably did speed it up in the studio because tuning 1/4 step up and detuning all the synths seems like an unnecessary pain in the butt.
Quote by Sam Rulez D00d
Wow, that's interesting. I've honestly never heard of anyone doing that before but hey, I guess you learn something new every day. I think they probably did speed it up in the studio because tuning 1/4 step up and detuning all the synths seems like an unnecessary pain in the butt.

Yeah, if there are synths and it's in an "in between" tuning, it is usually sped up or slowed down.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Yeah, if there are synths and it's in an "in between" tuning, it is usually sped up or slowed down.

It is easier to detune a synth than it is a guitar