Has anyone ever tried this? I came across this tutorial but I'm wondering if there would be a sustain issue due to the fact that the body is technically not a solid piece of wood and it has a rear route with a block glued in place. I currently have this strat style tremolo in my guitar so it is a fulcrum and has the springs with the rear route just like a floyd rose. However it does not have the extra routing on the top of the body to support the rocking of the floyd rose. So I was looking at converting it to a Kahler and I was wondering if I could add to the sustain a bit by blocking out the rear route.

http://www.projectguitar.com/articles.html/_/tutorials/instrument-building/trem-to-hardtail-conversion-r48
Quote by naaate89
Has anyone ever tried this? I came across this tutorial but I'm wondering if there would be a sustain issue due to the fact that the body is technically not a solid piece of wood and it has a rear route with a block glued in place. I currently have this strat style tremolo in my guitar so it is a fulcrum and has the springs with the rear route just like a floyd rose. However it does not have the extra routing on the top of the body to support the rocking of the floyd rose. So I was looking at converting it to a Kahler and I was wondering if I could add to the sustain a bit by blocking out the rear route.

http://www.projectguitar.com/articles.html/_/tutorials/instrument-building/trem-to-hardtail-conversion-r48

Turns out that putting some wood back in that hole really doesn't do much of anything positive. If it's a strat type guitar, the best thing would probably be to buy a different body for it (obviously one that was set up for a hard tail).

Converting from a trem to a hard tail really doesn't do much, either. Putting a large sustain block on the existing trem does a whole lot more.

Talk to www.warmmiworld.com about the Kahler. Kahler will probably have a plate that will cover the top of whatever's routed on the guitar if you're going to put a Kahler hardtail on.

Matter of fact, you'd probably be easily as well off putting one of the new "convertible" Kahler trems on the guitar (you can turn it into a hardtail in a few seconds, then convert it back in a few more seconds.
so am I right in reading that you want to be able to "pull up" on the bar (so to sharpen the notes??) so your idea is to fill in the routs and then put the kahler on to achieve this?? ...... you can set a standard trem to pull up. Check out the jeff beck rig rundown thats floating around and it shows you how he has his bridges. While tuning won't be as stable as a floyd it is pretty damn good and will cost you zero $$$