I have always had the 81 in the bridge and the 85 in the neck and I was wondering if anyone has tried the 85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck. I have an Alder body on my guitar and I really don't care for how much treble it has with the bright wood and the 81 in the bridge. I prefer mahogany wood for its dark rhythm tone but I was wondering if switching the 85 to the bridge might add a little bit of bottom end to my rhythm tone. I know that it will not be a substitute for a different kind of wood but if I can emulate it a bit I would like to do it.
I have an M-1000 with that combo. Sounds quite nice. I think 81-81 would be better. 81 in the neck sounds really crisp on the alder body, I love it.
Quote by Drapte
I have an M-1000 with that combo. Sounds quite nice. I think 81-81 would be better. 81 in the neck sounds really crisp on the alder body, I love it.

This, 81 in the neck is awesome, it's not creamy but it's defined and bright but punchy.
Firstly, your body wood isn't playing any significant role in your tone with those pickups. Their positioning definitely will tho and plenty of people swear by that swap.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A