Hello all,
All my guitars are humbucker equipped and I'm finally in the market for a single coil guitar again. Standard Fender USA Strats are very thin sounding to me. I was wondering what kind of tonal characteristics you guys would say the Z-Coil pickups have? What kind of effects does the PTB (Passive Treble and Bass) System have in the tone? I'm not saying I hate Fenders or anything (G&L is by Leo), the ones I've tried I just haven't clicked with and I want a beefier sound. I hear the Comanche is a very versatile guitar but no stores near me carry any. Thanks

- Joe

Edit: Plus I love the burst colors and ESPECIALLY the flamed maple tops (I like transparent colors to see wood grain)
Last edited by lightningjoe88 at Oct 17, 2014,
Quote by ethan_hanus
Single coils are not beefy, unless you get some stupidly high output single coils like BKP Sinners or Trilogy Suites, or stacked single coils.

I'm not asking for death metal single coils or anything dude. I'm asking about a specific model. Not all single coils are the same... just like not all humbuckers are the same (obviously). Tons of different tonal characteristics. The "Z-Coil" is a very interesting design with a specific sound and different controls for shaping the sound. All you have to say is "I don't know." I'm trying to find out where the Z-Coils lie between Standard Fender single coils, Texas Specials, EMG single coils, etc.
Have you considered going with P90s or some of the other beefier singlecoils?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I have a Comanche and it's for sure a beefier strat and it's way quiet compared to single coils ....... I also changed the bridge z-coil out for a G&L Will Ray pickup with about 1600 more windings than the standard z-coil bridge .... wonderful guitar , the PTB system should be on all electric guitars plus the Comanche has a expander switch for more coil options like all three pick ups at the same time instead od a pair plus the expander switch lets you choose bridge and neck pick up at the same time , they are sweet

I do like P-90s. The Hamers with p90s have caught my eye recently. Able to play a few and I like the feel and sound. The price tag is quite nice also! But back to the original topic, I like the single coils for SRV/Hendrix/Gallagher blues which is the sound I'm missing (I know, they all play Fenders). Maybe I've just gotten unlucky with the strats I've tried but they've all sounded weak to me.
Quote by Fumble fingers
I have a Comanche and it's for sure a beefier strat and it's way quiet compared to single coils ....... I also changed the bridge z-coil out for a G&L Will Ray pickup with about 1600 more windings than the standard z-coil bridge .... wonderful guitar , the PTB system should be on all electric guitars plus the Comanche has a expander switch for more coil options like all three pick ups at the same time instead od a pair plus the expander switch lets you choose bridge and neck pick up at the same time , they are sweet

THANK YOU! This is the kind of info I was hoping to get! Very beautiful rig. How's the trem system?
The dual Fulcrum (floating) vibrato holds a tune beautiful , George and Leo's best design , mine has/came with factory locking tuners and gragh tech nut .... the expander switch basically gives you 7 pick up combination ..... I'm doing a guitar rotation this weekend and the Comanche and my S-500 are two that's coming out of the case

Always did like your G&L collection!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

You could always drop a powerful single-coil sized humbucker into a Strat, like the Duncan Hot Rails. It is definitely a beefy-sounding pickup. Of you could get an HSS Strat and go from there. The G&L guitars are fine instruments in their own right, but if you just want a heavier sounding Strat, I think a Fender with a pickup swap would be the way to go.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 18, 2014,
Quote by ethan_hanus
Single coils are not beefy, unless you get some stupidly high output single coils like BKP Sinners or Trilogy Suites, or stacked single coils.

I mean, you're wrong.

Quote by Fumble fingers
The dual Fulcrum (floating) vibrato holds a tune beautiful , George and Leo's best design , mine has/came with factory locking tuners and gragh tech nut .... the expander switch basically gives you 7 pick up combination ..... I'm doing a guitar rotation this weekend and the Comanche and my S-500 are two that's coming out of the case

Agreed. Listen to Fumble, he's the G&L Authority of this board.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
There are also good ones to be found at a Reverb.com:
https://reverb.com/marketplace?make%5B%5D=g-l&page=1&query=Comanche

Reverb is the best place for G&L shopping, I think! +1 to danny, as always.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Oct 18, 2014,
These guys mainly carry Gibsons. fenders and PRS. They usually have some good G&Ls, but right now, no Comanches, though.

http://www.guitarsandeffects.com/page5.html

However, these might deliver what you want...

http://www.guitarsandeffects.com/2014a04a10gnlz3asat/gnlz3asat

http://www.guitarsandeffects.com/2014a04a10prsstudioredburst/prsstudioredburst

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 18, 2014,
Crrently thinking about a MIM Strat to go along with my PRS SE 245. Which G&L would be comparable or better in the $500 price range? Have heard good things about the G&L guitars but admittedly know nothing about the different models. Thanks for the help.
check out G&L's Tribute line , they all have G&L's American pick ups and are very good quality guitars in general .... it's just a matter of choosing a strat type G&L with the pick-ups you want ....

you can get a traditional sounding strat with the Legacy's alnico pick ups

, you can get a S500 with MFD pick ups as it's a little bit more powerful and slightly deeper sounding strat than the Legacy .... also the MFD's on the S 500 have a expander switch that gives you 7 pick up positions compared to 5 in the Legacy and typical statocaster , plus the pole piece of the pick up is adjustable so you can truly balance the string output individually instead of just lowering or raising pu height

the Comanche is another choice with MFD Z-Coil pick ups , like the S500 the Comanche has adjustable pole pieces for string and pick up balance , the Z coils are deeper yet than the S 500 and because of the way Leo Fender designed the pick up they run quiet for a single coil guitar , just like the S 500 the Comanche has the expander switch for 7 pick up combinations instead of 5

and then there is a Legacy HB that has G&L's Paul Gagon Humbucker in the bridge position along with coil split for the humbucker , the middle and neck pick up is just like the regular Legacy with alnico pick ups .....

just figure out what pick ups will work best with what you are playing

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/guitars/Comanche_new/index.asp

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/guitars/S500_new/index.asp

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/guitars/Legacy_new/index.asp

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/guitars/Legacy_HB_new/index.asp
Last edited by Fumble fingers at Oct 18, 2014,