Hi,
I'm new to this effects loop as my old amp didn't have one. So my gear is

guitar-cry baby-line fm4-whammy-bad monkey-throttle box-phaser-reverb-delay-amp.

So would the FM4(sythn effects) and phaser go in the fx loop? I know the reverb and delay does. Also il manly be using distortion from the amp but use the overdrive pedals as boost so where do they go
Thanks

Note. My pedalboard didn't suck the tone out of my old amp, but I was using peals for distortion then.
Last edited by Guitar137335 at Oct 18, 2014,
Well, it all depends on what you want. Phaser, reverb and delay are usually in the FX loop, while all kinds of boosters and dirt pedals are in the front of the amp. I don't really know about the synth fx, I've never used one. There are a lot of opinions about the placement of the wah pedal, but I think that it's pretty good at where you have it now.
I'd probably put in either last before the amp, or first in the effects loop. This way, it should work well with your drive pedals, but still not bend your reverb or anything. If I got this wrong, someone correct me :P
phaser can go either in front or in the loop. it'll sound more subtle in front, more exaggerated in the loop (assuming you're using amp distortion). if you're using distortion pedals, same thing- phaser in front sounds more subtle whereas after the dirt pedals sounds more exaggerated.

with the boost again it depends on what you want. if you want more of a level boost, put it in the loop. depending on how the amp's set, you might get enough of a level boost in front of the amp (and it'll also improve saturation etc.).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I wasn't really sure, I was hoping you'd forget about that one

I've run the digitech synth bass wah into the front of my (bass) amp and it sounded fine. Also the bassballs into the front of a bass or guitar amp, again sounded fine.

I normally work on the basis that if it sounds good into the front, to leave it, since you can't really do any harm into the front of the amp- it's unlikely you'd do any harm into the loop either, but there's slightly more chance of something going wrong or at least just plain sounding "wrong" if it's not meant to go into the loop... whereas virtually everything will "work" into the front of the amp, at least, even if it maybe doesn't sound quite as good as in the loop (assuming that type of pedal would sound better in the loop, of course).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What amp?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks Dave_Mc!

My old amp was some line 6 spider and new one mesa boogie mini recto.
Last edited by Guitar137335 at Oct 19, 2014,
There's no rules that are set in stone, but usually time & modulation based effects sound better after the preamp, so in the loop. But in the end, I'd suggest to just play around with them in different places and in different orders. You're not going to hurt anything.
Quote by rickyj

This is such a good watch. Seriously. Lots of good ideas and information. And like he says, you really just need to think about it logically. Like, putting a distortion before a delay is going to make the echos sound more distorted because the signal hitting the delay is already distorted. Whereas, putting delay first is going to make the echos get cleaner as they ring out, because the original signal is the only one hitting the distortion at full power, while the echos hit the distortion with less volume. Which way sounds better is up to you, and what sound you want.