I've noticed that the low end jackson model (js32) costs 350$ with fixed bridge and 450$ with Floyd rose
I don't think there are other differences so.. Is the floyd rose that expensive
100$ isn't that much but in this case it's almost 1/3 of the price !
Maybe there's a discount for the fixed bridge model? Because on Thomann (Europe) they are pretty much the same price.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
If YOU were to go out as buy a Floyd rose to put on a guitar, yes it would cost at least $100 (not considering shop fees to route and install it). However, as mentioned above, usually guitars with Floyds pre-installed aren't much more than fixed bridge guitars.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
A Floyd Rose Original cost €290 last time I checked, and while most guitars does not come with that version stock, the less expensive 1000-series made in Korea surely warrants a price difference. Not sure what an inexpensive one like that on the cheap Jacksons cost, but FR equipped guitars probably cost at least €100 more in most cases.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
It costs manufacturers around $5 (give or take a buck) to make a Floyd Rose type trem. You'll find copies selling on eBay for $29.95, and while the metallurgy isn't all that wonderful, they're serviceable.

There *used* to be a requirement that all manufacturers pay a licensing fee to Floyd Rose to build these things, but since the patent is expired, they don't have to any more. You'd see those examples stamped "licensed by Floyd Rose." No more. The same was true for Ibanez and other large guitar manufacturers. Some "licensed" versions were actually identical to the official Floyd Rose versions or better. In fact, Floyd Rose used two Korean production lines to produce their Official Floyd Rose trems, and you could buy licensed versions from the same production lines (the only thing different was the stamping on the base plate).

What you'll get in a lower-priced guitar will almost certainly be a less expensive trem that would have carried the "licensed" designation back in the day. The knife edges may not last as long, the saddles may not grip the string as well, etc., but it should be functional. I've got licensed versions on Samicks from 1992 that are still going strong.

FWIW, substituting a Floyd Rose Original bridge for the fixed bridge on a Carvin guitar is $120.
Last edited by dspellman at Oct 18, 2014,
Quote by DeathmoniC
Well it has "jackson®" on it ...

That means it was made specifically for Jackson Guitars
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yes, a Floyd Rose absolutely costs that much. If you were to go and buy one yourself, they're at least $100. Usually more like $150. The Special (the cheap version) is like $80. But then you would also have to pay to have it installed, unless you're confident doing it yourself. And unless your guitar was already routed out for a similar size and shape bridge/trem system, there's going to be some serious work involved.

Also, the Floyd Rose that you get on a JS32 is a licensed Jackson Floyd, not an original. Thankfully, the Jackson licensed Floyds are a lot better now than they used to be. Even so, they're comparable to a Special, at best. That said though, I'm wondering where you're looking at prices. Because I'm looking on the official Jackson website right now, and MSRP for the JS32 model is only $40 more for the Floyd, compared to the hard tail. And you'll pay less than MSRP at any dealer, anyway. Maybe you're looking at a plain top hard tail versus a quilt top w/Floyd. If that's the case, the quilt top costs extra, as well.
Last edited by the_bi99man at Oct 18, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
That means it was made specifically for Jackson Guitars

Sorry, right you are.

There's nothing that tells you anything about the quality of that trem, however.
Quote by guitar42697
Noticed you've got a few Samicks with floyds on them. I just purchased an old YK640 (probably late 80s) and I was wondering if the floyds on yours lock at the saddles, or if you can leave the ball ends in, and slip the string through the saddles.

All lock at the saddles.

Here's one:

Quote by guitar42697
Here's mine
(Invalid img)

That looks weird. Is that actually licensed from Floyd Rose in any way? Is the Floyd name on it?
Quote by the_bi99man
Yes, a Floyd Rose absolutely costs that much. If you were to go and buy one yourself, they're at least $100. Usually more like $150. The Special (the cheap version) is like $80. But then you would also have to pay to have it installed, unless you're confident doing it yourself. And unless your guitar was already routed out for a similar size and shape bridge/trem system, there's going to be some serious work involved.

Also, the Floyd Rose that you get on a JS32 is a licensed Jackson Floyd, not an original. Thankfully, the Jackson licensed Floyds are a lot better now than they used to be. Even so, they're comparable to a Special, at best. That said though, I'm wondering where you're looking at prices. Because I'm looking on the official Jackson website right now, and MSRP for the JS32 model is only $40 more for the Floyd, compared to the hard tail. And you'll pay less than MSRP at any dealer, anyway. Maybe you're looking at a plain top hard tail versus a quilt top w/Floyd. If that's the case, the quilt top costs extra, as well.

If I look at Thomann prices, the JS32Q is only €20 more expensive than the regular JS32 (and as I said, there was really no price difference between the hardtail and FR models on Thomann). That doesn't really explain the $100 price difference.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
If I look at Thomann prices, the JS32Q is only €20 more expensive than the regular JS32 (and as I said, there was really no price difference between the hardtail and FR models on Thomann). That doesn't really explain the $100 price difference.

Hmm. Could just be Europe. I just looked at MSRP on Jackson's website, in US$. And we still don't even know where the OP got the prices he mentioned.
Quote by the_bi99man
That looks weird. Is that actually licensed from Floyd Rose in any way? Is the Floyd name on it?

Yeah, it says "Licensed under Floyd Rose patents" on the base plate where it normally says Floyd Rose on an OFR or the likes
Quote by guitar42697
Here's mine
(Invalid img)

I've seen those. Never owned one. There are things over each saddle that flip up, then you put your strings in from the back, then flip them back down to lock them?
Quote by dspellman
I've seen those. Never owned one. There are things over each saddle that flip up, then you put your strings in from the back, then flip them back down to lock them?

Yep, any idea of what years these were produced? I would assume before 92, right?