But I just can't get it to "make a difference"! Basically when I use the distortion channel on my amp (DSL40) and kick in the TS-9, it makes almost no difference, the only difference it makes is that it adds noise when I set the gain to anything higher than 0. I know the pedal works because when I use it on the clean channel, it actually does something. Basically I'm just trying to tighten my sound, what should I do?
Just to make sure everything is set right. The TS9 is in front of the amp yes? Max out the volume and turn the gain to 0 on pedal to maximize the boost without adding much of pedal distortion. If your amp is set to moderate distortion this boost should kick it into the br00tz territory with a clear audible effect.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Yeah, turn up the volume, not the gain. You're using it as a boost, not a distortion pedal. You only need enough gain to get things moving.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 18, 2014,
Yes it is in front of the amp, and I do keep the drive at 0, level at 10 and just messing with tone, but I can't seem to get any real noticeable difference. Is there anything else I can do?
Where do you have the preamp gain set on your amp? If you're running a boatload of gain on your amp already, you probably won't hear as much of a difference with the Ts-9, and you'll get more noise. An od pedal like that should allow you to reduce your amp' s gain by up to 3-4 numbers on the dial and still sound like it has as much gain.

For me, od pedals aren't so much for the tonal coloration but for making the tone more punchy and precise.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
you can try turning the gain on the pedal up slightly

or maybe you already have the gain too high on the marshall. you want to lower the gain on the marshall to slightly below where you'd set it if you weren't using a tubescreamer, and then use the TS to bring you back up again to where you want to be.

A cynic might say that's kind of pointless, but it does sound and feel a bit different than just turning up the amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a JCM2000 DSL100 and I can deff hear a difference when I use a TS pedal. My gain is only at 6 on the ultra channel and I use the TS to push it harder, like Dave was saying. It gives me a punchier sound
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks a lot guys, turns out all I had to do was turn down the gain on the amp a little bit. You're right Dave, it isn't really the same as just turning the gain on the amp up.
^

glad you got it sorted
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?