Budget - about 750PLN (that is approx. 250$)
Genres - mostly rock, hard rock and thrash metal, but I don't need amp distortion as I have pedals for that.
I'm looking for an used amp, which I'll be buying in Poland.
The amp will be used for rehearsals with a band, so it has to be heard over drums.
Currently I'm playing an Epiphone les paul standard pro, at home I have a Marshall VS8020 and a couple of pedals.
As for other remarks, I want an amp without effects and at least one 12" speaker. It also has to take pedals well.
Have you considered the fact that you might have a bit big expectations? It might be difficult to find a good gigging amp for that price.

You might find a used Bugera or a Laney Cub for 250$
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at Oct 18, 2014,
I've heard that the Cubs are very clean amps, and that they work well with effects. It's only 15 watts though, but if you have a good drummer and you can mic it up live there shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: Waiiiit, I'm thinking of an another laney now, the cub didn't have that much headroom if I recall correctly. It's probably better for crunchier tones.
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at Oct 18, 2014,
^ the cub doesn't have much head room at all

Look for a used peavey Valveking combo. It will do most of what you want sound wise and probably sound better than your pedals. if not, a peavey Vypyr tube 60/120 would be a good choice
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Beats the hell out of the cub if you can find one for used. You're not going to get a successful amp for 250$.
What about solid state amps for this price? I didn't say I neccesarily need a tube amp. BTW there is no chance I'll find the valveking under 250$ in Poland
Quote by kuba10357110
What about solid state amps for this price? I didn't say I neccesarily need a tube amp. BTW there is no chance I'll find the valveking under 250$ in Poland

Roland JC120 would work if your using pedals for distortion, if you can find one.

Most SS amps in your budget are utter crap, that is why you are not getting a bunch of recommendations for them.

The Vypyr tube 60 would work very well if you can find a used one under budget. the Vk is a decent amp. No it is not the best, but at your budget your not going to get anywhere near "the best" of any thing
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
How much are the Jet City's on Thomann's Polish site?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Well, I have to make one thing clear. The band that I play in is a high school band like many others. You guys are talking as if I was a pro that needs the best gear available. I know that pretty much everything in my price range isn't the best, but we have to look thorugh the prism of my budget and needs. I am trying to buy a simple amp that will be good considering its price, and that will do for small performances with a drummer and will be heard well. That's why you don't have to tell me that everything is utter crap. Having said that, will the marshall vs8080 fit my needs? It's praised by polish guitarists, but I want to hear your opinion.
Quote by kuba10357110
Well, I have to make one thing clear. The band that I play in is a high school band like many others. You guys are talking as if I was a pro that needs the best gear available. I know that pretty much everything in my price range isn't the best, but we have to look thorugh the prism of my budget and needs. I am trying to buy a simple amp that will be good considering its price, and that will do for small performances with a drummer and will be heard well. That's why you don't have to tell me that everything is utter crap. Having said that, will the marshall vs8080 fit my needs? It's praised by polish guitarists, but I want to hear your opinion.

The VS8080 is good at doing music like this and that is about it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1rBJK-k3vPE
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Lol ^^^^ sounds gross to me.

Does your school have micing and PA equipment? You're probably just best off dealing with what you have for a little while longer.

You could buy something now and it would be subpar, Or you could save a little more and get something worth your money. The poor man pays twice.
Thanks guys for all your advice. I guess I'll just have deal with what I have for a wgile and save some more money.
Valveking is a great pedal amp for the price. I never use the distortion channel, I find it pretty weak. The stock speaker is terrible too, keep in mind. But the clean channel is very neutral and clear, making it awesome for pedals. I was in a similar situation you are in in terms of what you want and your budget. I picked a Valveking and don't regret it one iota.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Yeah. Sell the Valvestate (since its popular in Poland) and buy a VK combo. I used one for a while and it was very reliable and didn't sound bad at all. There are plenty of tricks that help out the distortion channel immensely that cost next to nothing too. That or a Vypyr Tube are probably the only recommendations I'd give at your price point.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP