when he wails on the bends, it sounds like there's something more going on ? Like an octave pitcher or something ? Or am I crazy ?
sounds pretty normal to me. neck HB and a tube amp.

I think what you might be hearing is the sound wavering because the recording sucks.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Here's the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT68FS3YbQ4

I think you'll find it's a lot more natural than you expected. It's a very unique sound because of the composition, not the effects (or lack thereof).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Ah very nice, can you tell me a bit more about it ? What is it that makes sound so unique ? On the live version I posted in the first post, the lead tone really sounds amazing.

The way the sound is so "precise" and yet so colorful. Maybe it's the guitar ?
The video you linked I thought was pretty bad.

What gets the sound is the equipment used and a little thing called Technique.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by chatdattaque
Ah very nice, can you tell me a bit more about it ? What is it that makes sound so unique ? On the live version I posted in the first post, the lead tone really sounds amazing.

The way the sound is so "precise" and yet so colorful. Maybe it's the guitar ?

What makes it unique is the way it's written, it's just not a boring standard pentatonic lead. That's really all there is to it. Strat neck pickup through heavy British (see: Marshall) distortion gives that clear yet saturated tone. Look up the tab and try it yourself, you'll be surprised how simple it is to get the sound.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Oh, man. I love The Strokes. If this little thread could be a place where we could talk about their songwriting for a little while it would be amazing.

Aren't all solos built around a pentatonic lead ? So what he did here was he added "side notes" that don't go follow the pentatonic scale, is that right ?

I too think this song is absolutely unique, and I'm very interested in knowing a bit more about their songwriting.
Last edited by alans056 at Oct 18, 2014,
No all leads are not pentatonic, but you would probably do better to take this to the music sub-forum, this is more for gear.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by alans056

Aren't all solos built around a pentatonic lead ?

If this was completely without sarcasm, you should listen to some new music.