I've been playing guitar off and on for a few years and honestly I absolutely love playing. I have very nice instruments and great gear, the problem is I feel I lack in performance. When I put my mind to learning a song I learn it just fine, but the problem is I am lost on where to go. I want to understand the music, not just learn the notes someone else wrote. Im honestly just looking for some guidance on where to go and how to learn how to actually play and improvise off the songs others have wrote. My favorite guitarist are Zakk Wylde, Slash, Jimmie Page, Kirk Hammett and James Hetfield. I really appreciate the help everyone. Hopefully this will lead me on the correct path to becoming better.
Your best bet is find yourself a good teacher that can explain harmony, melody, and song construction. With the players you like, the this theory side is not massive. Send me a private message and I'll see if I can help in the meantime.
Quote by jerrykramskoy
Your best bet is find yourself a good teacher that can explain harmony, melody, and song construction. With the players you like, the this theory side is not massive. Send me a private message and I'll see if I can help in the meantime.

I agree, a good teacher sounds like the answerin this case., plus a bit of internet research on theory. Wikipedia has a lot, but it is mostly heavy going.
Quote by Ledcriss
I When I put my mind to learning a song I learn it just fine, but the problem is I am lost on where to go. I want to understand the music, not just learn the notes someone else wrote. Im honestly just looking for some guidance on where to go and how to learn how to actually play and improvise off the songs others have wrote. My favorite guitarist are Zakk Wylde, Slash, Jimmie Page, Kirk Hammett and James Hetfield. I really appreciate the help everyone. Hopefully this will lead me on the correct path to becoming better.

Dude you don't need a guitar teacher in order to learn how to improvise. Just use your ears start figuring out records by slowing them down, and figure each individual note or chord out. Once you start noticing how well your ears are developing you'll be able to bring the sounds you're hearing in your head to the strings on the guitar.

If you are new to transcribing I suggest you start out with learning nursery rhythms note by note until your ears develop to learn actual songs by ear.
Quote by Black_devils
Dude you don't need a guitar teacher in order to learn how to improvise. Just use your ears start figuring out records by slowing them down, and figure each individual note or chord out. Once you start noticing how well your ears are developing you'll be able to bring the sounds you're hearing in your head to the strings on the guitar.

If you are new to transcribing I suggest you start out with learning nursery rhythms note by note until your ears develop to learn actual songs by ear.

It's true, you don't need a teacher, but if you want to make fast progress, it's beneficial. Ear-training wise ... good advice. But again, combined with theory, this can be made a lot more sense of. There's also a load a stuff you'd never imagine (literally) to play where theory would encourage you to try something.
Thanks a lot everyone, I appreciate all the help. Im going to try to take everyone's advice to the best of my ability thanks again