Hi guys,

I've been doing a little bit of googling around to find wiring diagrams for the config I want to get going on my suhr modern satin. It's an HSH configuration and I'd like to get a new push-pull tone pot so I can access single coil sounds on positions one and five. I'm not much of an expert when it comes to the wiring thing, so I came here for help. I do know how to wield a soldering iron though!

Basically, I'd like a tone pot recommendation and if you could help me wire up my guitar so with the coil tap off, I have the normal 5 way selection of tones, but with the coil tap on, I get only one coil of the humbucker in positions one and five and maybe some different ones on the in between positions.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

bchampion96
They have them with coil taps, but it might not be what your looking for. If no one here has a schematic, that site will make you a custom wiring diagram for a small fee.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you want coil taps on both, you will need two DPDT switches, eg two push-pull pots. If you want to switch both at the same time, a 4PDT switch is needed, maybe replacing one of the tone pots. I went for a separate 4PDT on-on-on switch that gives series/single/parallel.
You CAN shift both humbuckers to single coil with a single push-pull.

I've done that before (and I'm sorry, but I don't have the schematic), but have removed it in every instance.

Instead, I've added three miniswitches to each of my HSH guitars (most of which have a master volume, master tone and a five-way. Two of the miniswitches are coil split (one for each humbucker), one is a bridge pickup add-in switch.

Why two, and why miniswitches? I've often run the bridge pickup full-bore humbucker and the neck pickup in single coil mode. By allowing each of the humbuckers to have their own selection switches, you greatly increase the number of sounds available from your five-way. If you substitute a three-way switch, you can select serial (standard humbucking)/parallel/single coil modes for each pickup (a standard feature of the late '70's, early 80's Ibanez AR-300) and/or, if you have SD's P-Rails in the humbucker spots, you can select between P90 coil/serial humbucking mode/rail single coil.

The third miniswitch, allowing you to add the bridge pickup to whatever's selected on the five-way, will have no effect on the first three selections, but will give you that traditional middle-position-on-a-Les-Paul both humbuckers together choice (and, of course, several other options since you have individual coil tap switches), and will give you a very interesting choice that will give you all three pickups at once.

I choose miniswitches for these because you can tell at a glance exactly where you're set (often not possible when you're using push-pulls) and because they'll never change your settings on the tone or volume pots when you activate them.
One other wiring choice that you may want to consider.

Pull up the wiring diagram for the OLD (original) Gibson MIII guitar. These were very nice 24-fret superstrat type HSH guitars with a unique control system. They featured a five-way and a single mini-switch. With the miniswitch in one direction, the HSH system operated almost exactly as would a strat, with single coils in every position, including bridge, bridge plus middle, middle only, neck plus middle and neck only (single coil modes, of course). In the other direction, the wiring offered the bridge humbucker, bridge plus neck, and neck humbucker only, with the fourth position a special "enhanced" version of both pickups together and the fifth (most forward) position an "off" (kill) switch.
Quote by dspellman
You CAN shift both humbuckers to single coil with a single push-pull.

Yes, you're right, as you only need one set of poles for each coil. However, if you want series/parallel you need two sets of poles for each coil.

This shows how to do it:

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/sw3.php

You just use one side of the 2PDT for each coil, instead of the SPDT shown.
Quote by dspellman
One other wiring choice that you may want to consider.

Pull up the wiring diagram for the OLD (original) Gibson MIII guitar. These were very nice 24-fret superstrat type HSH guitars with a unique control system. They featured a five-way and a single mini-switch. With the miniswitch in one direction, the HSH system operated almost exactly as would a strat, with single coils in every position, including bridge, bridge plus middle, middle only, neck plus middle and neck only (single coil modes, of course). In the other direction, the wiring offered the bridge humbucker, bridge plus neck, and neck humbucker only, with the fourth position a special "enhanced" version of both pickups together and the fifth (most forward) position an "off" (kill) switch.

Thanks for all your help! The problem with miniswitches is that I don't want to go drilling holes in a 1600 quid guitar. Even though I'm sure I could do it without harming anything, it's not something I'm keen on. This second option is most tempting to me at the moment. A switch to make it all single coil, classic strat style sounds like a great idea! I guess swapping out the tone pot could also work. Use the old hole for a switch.
Quote by bchampion96
Thanks for all your help! The problem with miniswitches is that I don't want to go drilling holes in a 1600 quid guitar. Even though I'm sure I could do it without harming anything, it's not something I'm keen on. This second option is most tempting to me at the moment. A switch to make it all single coil, classic strat style sounds like a great idea! I guess swapping out the tone pot could also work. Use the old hole for a switch.

If you decide to add a switch, maybe replacing a tone control, you can get series/single/parallel switching on both pickups using a 4PDT on-on-on switch; DiMarzio make one. I have this on one of my guitars. Parallel and single sound very similar on mine, with SD Jazz pickups, but I understand that the difference between them depends on the pickups. It would likely be more noticeable on hotter pickups.