So I've been doing some research lately and trying to figure out how I want to tweak my bass tone. My main setup is an Ibanez SR500 > Ampeg PF800 > Ampeg PF115HE. I have a 4 string and 5 string Schecter Stiletto Elites with EMG HZ. And I have an MTD with an active pup. So basically live I have to switch between basses that are active and passive.

I just purchased a Deluxe Bass Big Muff Pi and a Tech 21 VT Bass DI as I've read they pair well together. I haven't had the chance to try them out yet, but will this week. I want to try and get that classic Ampeg SVT sound, but I also like the modern aggressive bass tones of today as well.

So my question is what settings do you guys/gals use with these pedals, the order in the chain (Big Muff Pi > VT is what I had thought), and/or anything else that would help my tone. I get a decent tone out of my gear, but I really want to tweak it. And I know someone is gonna drop in and say "just go buy an SVT." That's the plan, just later down the road. Thanks for looking.
Honestly, if you want a SVT sound then you're pretty much there. That's a damn good rig and the only thing I would change is those darned HZ pickups.

If you're using the Muff as a boost/overdrive then put it before the VT. If you want a thicker, synthier sound then put it after. You might want some classy passive bass to get that SVT tone, though. Hint hint, get a P Bass.
Yea, it seems like I can't get anything I like out of the HZ pups. But, I really love the sound of the Barts in my SR500.
EMG's HZ pickups - particularly their bass pickups - are beyond horrible. They are sterile, lifeless black holes into which all hint of tone is sucked in and never seen or heard from again.

It is time for a pickup swap.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Thought about that, but I just sprung for an SR505. I was interested in possibly a Cort B5, but I play lefty so it's hard to find options out there.
Take a look at Carvin's basses. They have some left-hand models.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley