By now, I'm sure that most of you are aware of the Chinese Les Paul, SG, and PRS knock-offs. Recently, I began seeing some acoustic fakes. I have heard a few unfortunate stories of folks getting scammed on Craigslist and eBay, and I was a little suspicious of this ad, below:

https://bham.craigslist.org/msg/4719995964.html

I have to say, this one just does't appear to be quite right. Thoughts on its authenticity?
The pickguard and the headstock don't look quite right.

The sunburst itself is low quality, very abrupt and not good gradient/shading

Doesn't seem legit to me
My God, it's full of stars!
Headstock is what gives it away 100%. Definitely fake.

Maybe the guy selling it doesn't know its fake (got it from a friend, etc.)?
My Gear:
Fender Classic 50s Strat
Gibson Les Paul Studio
1977 Marshall JMP 2104
1995 Marshall 1959SLP
Silvertone 1481
Yamaha RA-200
Right on, that's what I thought. I don't know if the seller is aware of it, or not, but I guess it might be worth mentioning to him. He might have gotten screwed, but hopefully he doesn't screw someone else, in turn.
I saw a YouTube video where a guy specifically bought a Chinese fake Martin for the sole purpose of reviewing it.

As it turned out, it was a decent guitar. As long as you know it's a fake, and pay the price you would for a fake, you might come out all right.

Fakes are nothing new. Many Japanese companies made, "lawsuit guitars" in years past.

Here's an entire page of videos about these guitars: fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=np&source=hp">fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=np&source=hp">https://www.google.com/search?q=YouTube+review+Chinese+fake+Martin&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&channel=np&source=hp

Look before you leap, and caveat emptor.

As far as buying high end guitars off Ebay, that's not my thing anyway. I have not the will, nor the wherewithal.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 18, 2014,
As long as you know it's a fake, and pay the price you would for a fake, you might come out all right.

Captain, I agree with you, to some extent. Unfortunately, there are a lot of jerks out there who are using these guitars to defraud those who don't know any better. They are paying $200-$300 for these guitars, and then selling them for 4 or 5 times what they paid for them. I don't think it's fair to mislead or scam someone.
I am familiar with the lawsuit guitars of the 70s, but I think that they're distinctly different. While they were very close in design to the guitars which were being replicated, and even though they often had similar logos, they were not masquerading as Gibsons, Fenders, etc. I think that this is an important difference. You were getting a guitar with comparable quality and a similar design, but you were not paying for the brand name. I think it would be fair to compare it to buying store brand items. Instead of Cheerios, you buy "Crunchie-Os;" instead of a Gibson, you're buying a Greco.
The primary selling point for the Chinese knock-offs, however, IS the brand name. You're not buying it because it plays well, or because it sounds great, you're buying it because you want the Gibson logo on the headstock.

It looks alot like this one, and nothing like any authentic pics I could find:

Tony, that does look similar. It looks like they have tweaked it some. The pick guard looks much better and they gave the logo more of a slant. It appears that they still have a lot of tweaking to do, though, because it still looks pretty darn fake!
I'm sure it would be illegal to manufacture or sell these guitars here in the US(not sure about other countries). Is it legal to knowingly purchase one?
you're correct - the lawsuit models were very similar to martins and gibsons, but used the manufacturer's name on the headstocks. my husband has a lawsuit ibanez, and while they were sued by gibson over this model as too close to the les paul, it's actually a very good guitar. my husband actually prefers it to his gibson les paul, which now stays in its case.

Quote by Fuzz Aldrin
Captain, I agree with you, to some extent. Unfortunately, there are a lot of jerks out there who are using these guitars to defraud those who don't know any better. They are paying $200-$300 for these guitars, and then selling them for 4 or 5 times what they paid for them. I don't think it's fair to mislead or scam someone.
I am familiar with the lawsuit guitars of the 70s, but I think that they're distinctly different. While they were very close in design to the guitars which were being replicated, and even though they often had similar logos, they were not masquerading as Gibsons, Fenders, etc. I think that this is an important difference. You were getting a guitar with comparable quality and a similar design, but you were not paying for the brand name. I think it would be fair to compare it to buying store brand items. Instead of Cheerios, you buy "Crunchie-Os;" instead of a Gibson, you're buying a Greco.
The primary selling point for the Chinese knock-offs, however, IS the brand name. You're not buying it because it plays well, or because it sounds great, you're buying it because you want the Gibson logo on the headstock.

Tony, that does look similar. It looks like they have tweaked it some. The pick guard looks much better and they gave the logo more of a slant. It appears that they still have a lot of tweaking to do, though, because it still looks pretty darn fake!
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by Fuzz Aldrin
Right on, that's what I thought. I don't know if the seller is aware of it, or not, but I guess it might be worth mentioning to him. He might have gotten screwed, but hopefully he doesn't screw someone else, in turn.
You apparently, (unlike myself), choose to take the high road when evaluating human nature. I'm gonna guess 75/25% weighted towards the seller is trying to perpetrate a hoax.

Craig's List has evolved into a "field of dreams", for various criminal pursuits. So I'm guessing selling fake guitars is far from out of the realm of possibilities. Now, if they offer you a free hour with a hooker if you buy NOW, I'd run like hell. "She", might turn out to be a fake as well...

Besides, if you watch the news, these knockoffs fund terrorism!

This public service message brought to you by the RIAA, MPAA, and a host of manufacturers pimping extravagantly over priced designer fashion goods, which are made using sweatshop labor across China and the Pacific Rim....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 19, 2014,