So I recently bought a Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo and I was just wondering what kind of things you guys who own them suggest in terms EQing it and what sorts if pedals.

I was thinking about maybe getting a tube screamer or a maxon od808 but I'm not sure.

I've also heard something about replacing the speakers? Can anyone elaborate?

I'm basically just trying to figure out the basics of using this amp not so much hone in on the perfect tone. So any random topic you can think of that you think is important is just as welcome as answers to the questions themselves.
Well, I've done a lot to mine so I'll try to list what I've done in the order of what I feel made the most difference.

1. Tubescreamer/Boss sd-1 or clones of them. I own a Ts-9 and an MXR m-77. They both do the same thing but with a slightly different flavor. When you run these as boosts (directly before the amp' s input) with the pedal' s gain turned to zero and the level maxxed, it gives the amp a lot more bite, cut, and tightens the bass response. Basically it makes it sound like you pulled a blanket off the front of the amp. Pinch harmonics really scream too. You can get a similar effect by cranking the piss out of your amp, but at that point it's at gig volume or beyond which isn't really ideal for home playing.

2. EQ pedal run through the effects loop. You might as well get an MXR 10-band, they work extremely well and are highly versatile. I won't tell you how to set that because it's personal taste. Almost any setting on the amp' s lead channel will result in a brutal metal tone, but the pedal will give you far more control over your tone sculpting.

3. Tubes. The Ruby power tubes that came with mine were absolute garbage -- I just didn't realize it until I swapped them for a pair of JJ 6l6gcs. I cannot even describe the difference -- it was like my amp had received an overdose of testosterone.

The Ruby preamp tubes weren't as bad, but JJs sound better. Especially if you run a 5751 in the phase inverter spot, and maybe one in V1 too. I go back and forth between a 5751 and a JJ ecc 803 in v1. The 5751 there makes the amp tighter with a slightly heavier bottom end but the 803 has this thicker, richer midrange that I love too. Both are lower gain than the standard 12ax7s that are stock. But don't let that dissuade you; there's still more than enough gain before "5" on the amp and it's a richer, but clearer high gain sound. Plus, those tubes make the cleans better.

4. I'm one of those people that didn't have a big problem with the stock Sheffield speaker. Still don't, in fact. However, I converted my 6505+ into a head and now run it through a 412 cab with Eminence Governors and Swamp Thangs in an X pattern. My rig will now tear heads off.

But I converted the combo shell into a 112 cab and recently discovered that it still doesn't sound bad with the Sheffield in there -- it just doesn't quite have the balls and "wall of angry distortion" that my 412 provides.

Anyway, hope that gets you sorted!
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Oct 18, 2014,
If you're trying to figure out the basics of the amp you should not start by buying a bunch of new stuff to solve issues that don't currently exist.

Take some time with the stock amp, get used to the EQ, see how it interacts with your guitars. If you think something is off or needs specific improvement, that's when I'd start looking into mods or pedals.
Quote by Roc8995
If you're trying to figure out the basics of the amp you should not start by buying a bunch of new stuff to solve issues that don't currently exist.

Take some time with the stock amp, get used to the EQ, see how it interacts with your guitars. If you think something is off or needs specific improvement, that's when I'd start looking into mods or pedals.

The reason I was thinking about a tube screamer was because with the amount of gain I use it starts too sound very fizzy and I know those allow you to pull the gain back while keeping the tone intact.

As for me asking about mods, I'm just curious to see what kind of cool stuff you can do with it. I completely agree it's too early to do that kind of stuff with it but it can't hurt to know about it.
Quote by KailM
I converted my 6505+ into a head

KailM, how, if I may ask, did you convert it?
2014 Ibanez RG8
2013 Schecter Hellraiser
1999 Schecter Revenger 7
2007 LTD 'Monster' F
B.C. Rich KK Warlock
No-Name Acoustic
Oh, definitely, educating yourself is great. I just wanted to make sure you weren't throwing money at a problem you didn't have.

Fizz at high gain might be a good reason to look into different preamp tubes. JJs especially might help dial out some of that fizz.
If you are not afraid of modding your amp to my understanding there is a "bright cap" in the amp that is a source of a lot of fizz in 6505 lead channels. Cutting it out of the circuit will turn the voicing closer to the crunch channel, just more gain as lead channel should. Google about it.

Alternatively try using the crunch channel and boost it with tubescreamer. Thats what Machine Head does for example, though it is with normal 5150/6505, not 6505+.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by ThePIGI_King
KailM, how, if I may ask, did you convert it?

I took measurements of the inside dimensions of the upper part of the combo shell, then relayed them to my grandfather who whipped out a head cabinet in an hour or two (he is a very, very talented woodworker/cabinetmaker). I did all of the drilling, staining, and finishing, then pulled the amp chassis out of the combo and installed it in the new box. It looks sweet! Later, I cut the top portion off of the combo and reinstalled it directly above the speaker compartment so I have a small cab as well. I'm currently looking for a mini-head to use with that cab, but my 6505+ still works fine with it.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Throw away the speaker and stick in something like a V30.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification