i've been trying to get the tone from queen's "tie your mother down"
but cant seem to get it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGDGwDnJvps

at the part at 1:02, i play it and it sounds a little too muddy, can anyone tell me how to fix this? i'm using a peavey vypyr tube 60 and im currently on the brit amp on red with the pre gain on around 3/7
Low 3/7
mids 6/7
highs 7/7
no effects or stomp boxes
is there an effect in there that i didn't notice?

i dont know why but it still sounds a little too bassy/muddy
Last edited by GuitarNewbee at Oct 18, 2014,
Quote by GuitarNewbee
bump

It's been 19 minutes.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
If it's too muddy try rolling down the mids. They usually bring a lot of muddiness to the tone.

That, and use the bridge pickup. If you're using a pedal for the OD, play with the tone knob aswell. The tone you're looking for isn't hard to replicate imo. So you should be able to nail it.
Quote by chatdattaque
If it's too muddy try rolling down the mids. They usually bring a lot of muddiness to the tone.

That, and use the bridge pickup. If you're using a pedal for the OD, play with the tone knob aswell. The tone you're looking for isn't hard to replicate imo. So you should be able to nail it.

I'd say mids do the opposite...

TS, what's the guitar? The single coils in Brian's guitar gave it a lot of cut, you may just be missing that effect.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I believe you are correct. May help to try boosting the sound a bit
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
well to answer your question

im using a ibanez rg3exfm1 (humbuckers)
but i can split the coil but i still cant get the tone, and i dont know why.
And no i'm not using a pedal for the od, im just using the gain on the amp, although i could give my old boss ds-1 a try,

i also found that it gets muddier sounding the louder i make it the amp, if i raise the master volume it just gets muddier.
Buy a wall of Vox AC30s
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by Sixxstarr
Perhaps a tube screamer would assist a bit?

the song isn't very distorted though... not questioning your knowledge but wouldn't the use for a tubescreamer or any other stomp box be sorta excessive for this song?
No, it wouldn't. Play with the gain/drive on both the tubescreamer and the amp until you get something near what you want. It's not about how much distortion, it's the colour of that distortion. If you kept the gain down (and level on the TS) you could get it clean. You don't have to dime everything, it's all about balance.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
No, it wouldn't. Play with the gain/drive on both the tubescreamer and the amp until you get something near what you want. It's not about how much distortion, it's the colour of that distortion. If you kept the gain down (and level on the TS) you could get it clean. You don't have to dime everything, it's all about balance.

okay thank you, i'll definitely try that out.
Quote by dementiacaptain

TS, what's the guitar? The single coils in Brian's guitar gave it a lot of cut, you may just be missing that effect.

that's what i was going to say

Quote by GuitarNewbee

im using a ibanez rg3exfm1 (humbuckers)
but i can split the coil but i still cant get the tone, and i dont know why.

yeah try splitting them but it probably won't get exact, since a split humbucker is still slightly different from a "real" single coil.

also you're using a modelling amp at home volumes, it's probably not going to get exactly 100% there nomatter what you do. you should be able to get into the ballpark, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 19, 2014,
This is why I don't like modeling amps. I consider them a reasonable facsimile of a real tube amp.

The few I've played always had too much bottom, usually muddy. If I were trying to get that sound, I would go for a clean amp with a good overdrive pedal in front of it, gain turned up pretty high on the overdrive pedal. That's how I usually run my Marshall Bluesbreaker overdrive through a Super Reverb. Our normal onstage volume level is pretty low, I rarely get the amp volume above about 4, which is still completely clean, so I run the Bluesbreaker for overdrive with the gain just high enough for a little growl, and a Boss distortion pedal (DS1? I can't remember) that I modded so it works as both distortion and overdrive, depending on how I set the gain. I set that a for little more gain than the overdrive, and it seems to work well.

Running it that way you can use a little more bass in the amp, and you can also fatten it up a little by tweaking the mids control. Bring the mids up and it will accent the bass as well, but shouldn't muddy it if you keep the amp set for a clean sound. Set the amp for a dirty sound, it's usually too muddy and that's hard to filter out using the tone controls. So I would go for a clean sound and use pedals to get close to that sound. We've been thinking about adding "Fat Bottom Girls" to our list, I get pretty close to that sound using the Marshall Bluesbreaker with the gain up to around 9/10 through a clean amp.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...