Hey UG,

Been a while since I played bass seriously, about 3-4 years, and my skills have somewhat atrophied. Not back at square 1, more like square 2 or 3. I still remember most of the theory, I can still pick up the bass and play most of my bands old songs, but my speed and accuracy in both hands isn't what it used to be.

Furthermore, my creative bassline writing sure ain't what it used to be. Does anyone have any exercises that would work on getting both of my hands back up to speed, and bass-less tracks that I can groove along to to get back in the habit of writing?

I'm looking for a band to join, but now I work a 9-5 and can only really play on the weekends, so who knows when something that fits my schedule will come along.

Thanks everyone!
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:
Dean Edge Q6 - 6 String with Active EMG-HZs

Amp:
Fender BXR 300C - 300 Watt combo

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff Pi
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI
If your speed isn't up to it, metronome and patience. Then 1-2-3-4 practices for accuracy (helps me). Your creative bassline writing will come back when you start playing again, that's for sure. Maybe even playing some good songs that you really like, learning them or re-learning them, could help.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Robb987123Bass
Hey UG,
Does anyone have any exercises that would work on getting both of my hands back up to speed, and bass-less tracks that I can groove along to to get back in the habit of writing?

> Two octave scales, in all 12 keys (around the circle), in all 7 modes.
> Finger exercise given to me by my cello teacher many years ago...
1424, 1424, 1424, 1424 X 2
1434, 1434, 1434, 1434 X 2
1323, 1323, 1323, 1323 X 2
Then up 1/2 step and repeat. Then up 1/2 step and repeat. Then up 1/2 step....
> Google "bass backing tracks". There's a lot out there to play along with, ya just have to sift
through it.

Good luck on the come back.
You cannot beat chromatic exercises for getting your hands in shape and increasing speed and accuracy in your fretting hand.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley