Hey everyone I just want to start by saying I really have no preference in companies. I absolutely love the look and style of the les paul, well at least the body shape. Anyways honestly I feel that if im spending upwards of 2 grand or more then I would honestly really like the guitar to look the part. Personally PRS just blows me away of how beautiful they are. The only PRS im honestly interested in is the PRS SC245 obviously because it has a similar body shape. On that note all my favorite artists play Gibson so honestly I was just looking for some insight on exactly what the true difference is. I play Rock, Hard Rock, Metal, Classic Rock and some blues. I could really use the help on exactly what you all thought. Also I have the Mesa Boogie Mini Rec at the moment. Thank You
Honestly the only things they have in common is a mahogany back and neck and 2 humbuckers.

Nobody can decide for you which is better. You need to go play them for yourself.

Threads like these almost always end up as a shitstorm. Hopefully this one won't.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 19, 2014,
Ive owned Gibson LP's and PRS CE's at the same time and all I have left is the PRS. The PRS is better on so many levels it is not funny.

If your in the USA you can get a CE22/24 for $800-$1300 these are basically the same as the custom line but they have a bolt thru maple neck not a set neck. Everything else is identical.

Her a CE24 for $799
www.guitarcenter.com/PRS-Used-PRS-CE24-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-110555869-i3945222.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Personally, I'd go for the PRS. I never quite "connected" with a Gibson Les Paul, while I loved almost every PRS I ever played. Sound-wise, quality-wise... They do feel, sound and look great.

Definitely try the SC245 before buying, though, as there are plenty of people who like the way PRS guitars look, but they don't like the way they feel in their hands.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Oct 19, 2014,
I prefer PRS in general, but that's absolutely meaningless. I'm not really sure what this topic is meant to accomplish.
I appreciate all the replies and honestly the topic was meant to just make sure I wasn't missing anything. For instance and LP Custom is 4 grand and a very beautiful PRS which to my understanding sounds amazing is only 2-3, So I was making sure I wasn't missing some ancient Gibson secret lol.
Gibson charge a lot, so does PRS and many other company's you just need to figure out which you like/prefer better
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Not to mention about the Carvin ^ you can customize to your specs.

As for the original post I'd say overall Gibsons have thicker necks if that's what you're looking for. If you were going to spend the same amount of money on either one I'd say the PRS have better quality for the price. Especially since everything Gibson has gone up recently. I also think the tops and finishes on PRS guitars are stunning.

Also, Might I suggest an Ernie Ball Music Man Armada?
prs
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Fumble fingers
why stop at those two ??

agreed. i am not a big fan of either, to me they are both pretty good but way overpriced.

my favorite LP was made in Japan (thx greg), i haven't really played a PRS i have liked yet.

there are plenty of great options out there beyond the two that were mentioned.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Ledcriss
I appreciate all the replies and honestly the topic was meant to just make sure I wasn't missing anything. For instance and LP Custom is 4 grand and a very beautiful PRS which to my understanding sounds amazing is only 2-3, So I was making sure I wasn't missing some ancient Gibson secret lol.

The secret is that the Gibson logo is inlaid with eagle feathers and unicorn tears. Shit's pricey.
It's very personal. Have you considered going to music shop to trying both guitars? I suggest to try as many guitars as you can.
Quote by Ledcriss

If you find last year's model of LP. The Standards are now 4K, the customs are more.
Quote by Fumble fingers
why stop at those two ??
ck out Carvin SH 550 , it's a semi hollow (light weight) and you can get it without the sound holes
http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/sh550

if you want to stay closer to 1200.00 check out the California single , like all Carvins there tons of options
http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshop/californiasingle.php

Ditto all that.

I'm of the opinion that when you're talking about guitars over $1500, you really should look around to see what else is in the same price range with similar specs, and the Carvin SH550 is an excellent example of why. See also Godin singlecuts, etc.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Well I grew up on Duane Allman, so it's Les Paul for me. Then there's the Stratocaster and all the wonderful sounds it's given us. In high school I had the biggest Silvertone amp ever. But, remember this, despite what the girls tell you, bigger isn't necessarily better. I'm not sure what that has to do with it, but I'm eyeing combo amps these days. Big ones are heavy.
I absolutely love Les Pauls. They fit me just right. I've owed several PRS guitars as well. Now that I have that out of my system, time for a blanket statement. For $2000 you are probably going to get a finer crafted instrument for your money with the PRS. Their attention to detail and quality control is amazing. In the end though, the one that fits your playing style and feels comfortable while giving you the sound you need is always the clear winner. Spending $400-600 on a guitar, sure I'll roll the dice and order one online. For two grand I want to go through a few and see how they feel and react under my fingers. Try them both first hand and I'm sure you will find one that will "speak" to you.