Hello all,

I've been looking at many acoustic guitars for a while now, hoping to find "the one". I've come across many that I like, but what interests me the most is the finish. I've been obsessed with the Cherry Sunburst finish. It just looks so...awesome.

The only guitar that I could find that's affordable enough is the Yamaha FG730s. I like it, but it doesn't compare to the bass of a Martin.

I was wondering...are there anymore guitars out there with a Cherry Sunburst finish? I'm aware of the Gibson Hummingbird (I think that's what it's called), but that guitar is WAY out of my budget.

Thanks.
Quote by RT2361
.....[ ]....I was wondering...are there anymore guitars out there with a Cherry Sunburst finish? I'm aware of the Gibson Hummingbird (I think that's what it's called), but that guitar is WAY out of my budget.

Thanks.
In a broad sense, only Martins sound like Martins. Although, a lot of Asian built guitars come close for about 1/10 of the price.

Either way, Epiphone makes a copy of the Gibson "Hummingbird" for about 1/10 of the price of the Gibson.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-hummingbird-pro-acoustic-electric-guitar

That instrument has a full dreadnought body, and should be reasonably "thuddy".
Quote by Captaincranky
In a broad sense, only Martins sound like Martins. Although, a lot of Asian built guitars come close for about 1/10 of the price.

Either way, Epiphone makes a copy of the Gibson "Hummingbird" for about 1/10 of the price of the Gibson.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-hummingbird-pro-acoustic-electric-guitar

That instrument has a full dreadnought body, and should be reasonably "thuddy".

WOW.

I've never even bothered to look at other brands than the ones I'd listed. Thanks a lot man.
That is a sweet looking guitar. I played one in a used instrumentl/art shop type store and it sounded and played pretty good too. Actually it may have been an Epi Dove. I may have bought it if they weren't asking almost new price. Cherry burst is my favorite for electric but I like natural for acoustic. My Les Paul semi-hollow is cherry burst.
Quote by rohash
That is a sweet looking guitar. I played one in a used instrumentl/art shop type store and it sounded and played pretty good too. Actually it may have been an Epi Dove. I may have bought it if they weren't asking almost new price. Cherry burst is my favorite for electric but I like natural for acoustic. My Les Paul semi-hollow is cherry burst.
The Hummingbird is a mahogany body, erstwhile its twin, "The Dove", is maple B&S. While both guitars are solid tops, the B&S of both are laminate. I think you can hear the difference in the woods in spite of that fact.

I would have offered the Dove as a 2nd option, but the sunburst finish, at least as show by Musician's Friend, was a rather washed out orange, not true cherry sunburst.

Epiphone's versions of both guitars are virtually twins, save for the body and neck woods. The Dove might be slightly brighter. That said, it was a judgement call as to recommending the Hummingbird. Our TS would likely be just as happy with either guitar.

Maple sounds good, so does mahogany, it sort of depends on your mood and the musical material. Still, the appearance of one's guitar is incentive to pick it up and play it. Obviously color and style of finish, are major considerations. So, if you can't buy both, buy the one that looks best to you.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 20, 2014,