Hi, I found a MIM Fender Strat on craigslist that I'm considering buying. It's finally a color I love because it's different than the standard colors (It's sage green). My only problem is that it's an HSS when I really want an SSS. Do yall think it would make sense to purchase this with the intention of some time down the road converting it to all three single coil pups? Only reason I'm considering it even though it's an HSS is because of how cool the color is. Or is this just a dumb idea and should I wait for a real SSS to appear? Also, how much would all the parts I need cost to do that conversion? Thanks!
I thought to change the difference on a strat it was as simple as changing the pickguard?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
I thought to change the difference on a strat it was as simple as changing the pickguard?

I've heard that for going from an hss to an sss, you also have to change the pickup selector because they are different. I could be wrong here. Any strat owners have any info on this? Do you think that it's not a dumb idea to buy it for the color even if it's not the right pup setup? I just need some reassurance lol!
Get a new pickguard and a new bridge pickup.
The switch will be fine, it is one volume pot and cap that you will want to change. Humbuckers typically use 500k volume pots and .047uf caps and single coils use 250k pots and .022uf caps.

As far as price, where do you live? will you be doing the work, what are you willing to pay?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Humbuckers typically use 500k volume pots and .047uf caps and single coils use 250k pots and .022uf caps.

You have the capacitors part wrong. It's usually .047uf for single-coils and .022uf for humbuckers.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Robbgnarly
Get a new pickguard and a new bridge pickup.
The switch will be fine, it is one volume pot and cap that you will want to change. Humbuckers typically use 500k volume pots and .047uf caps and single coils use 250k pots and .022uf caps.

As far as price, where do you live? will you be doing the work, what are you willing to pay?

If I find a loaded sss pickguard with aftermarket pups (I know someone who has a bunch) do I still need to replace the volume pot and cap? Or do I only need to change those when all I replace is the pup and empty pickguard itself? Also, I would like to do it myself to save money, it's not difficult to just drop a new loaded pickguard in is it? What about changing the pot and cap? Thanks!
Quote by mathnerdm
If I find a loaded sss pickguard with aftermarket pups (I know someone who has a bunch) do I still need to replace the volume pot and cap? Or do I only need to change those when all I replace is the pup and empty pickguard itself? Also, I would like to do it myself to save money, it's not difficult to just drop a new loaded pickguard in is it? What about changing the pot and cap? Thanks!

Pre-loaded Strat pickguards are already wired, so you don't have to change anything.
You do have to un-solder the old ground connection and re-solder it to the new wiring.

If you want to replace just one pickup and re-use the other two pickups and wiring, any changes will depend on the specific pickup you want to add.

Either way, it's not difficult -- you just need basic soldering skills (plus a soldering iron and some solder).
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I have a MIM HSS that is now an SSS. I dropped the tex mex set in there and I think it is substantially better (although I sometimes miss the humbucker). I left all of the other components the same and I have had no problems. Pickup selector, pots, caps, etc. all work fine.