Page 1 of 3
I NEED TUBE AMP ADVICE
I am going to form a band and push for live gigs. My budget is 700=1300. Want the amp to be geared for metal.
I've always owned solid state and my dist pedal sounds is awesome but tinny. I played it through another guitarist tube amp and it sounded much better. Unless there is a pedal that can simulate a tube amp?......also want to go wireless and need advice on a monitor
Meerkat65

LTD M-1000FR/ EMGs
Fender Champion 100 2x12 ss
MXR Fullbore Metal {has gate}
Roctron Guitar Silencer {gate/suppressor}
I have been playing and practicing 20 years. this is a serious pursuit.
Meerkat65

LTD M-1000FR/ EMGs
Your budget is 700=1300 what? Euro? Dollar? Yen?

What kind of tones do you want? Do you want to use the clean channel a lot? Or do you only want metal tones?

Do you want new or are you ok with used? Where do you live?
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at Oct 19, 2014,
Where in the world are you located?
What type of "metal"?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Meerkat65
I am going to form a band and push for live gigs.
You need a PA system.
Either you buy one or you only play places who own one.

No, a 100w amp + 4x12" isn't going to sound good in a half big club even though it will be loud enough.
Quote by Meerkat65
My budget is 700=1300.
In what currency?
Quote by Meerkat65
Want the amp to be geared for metal.
The wikipedia "heavy metal subgenres" category lists 53 pages, and I'm sure we could easily find more.

So, d'ya care to be a bit more specific than "metal"?
Quote by Meerkat65
I've always owned solid state and my dist pedal sounds is awesome but tinny. I played it through another guitarist tube amp and it sounded much better. Unless there is a pedal that can simulate a tube amp?
That's how pedals in general sound.
An amp that does what you want will be more convenient and likely sound better.
Quote by Meerkat65
also want to go wireless and need advice on a monitor
In ear monitors + transmitter?
IEM's only?
12" two way powered monitors to be left on stage while you go around?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2

The wikipedia "heavy metal subgenres" category lists 53 pages, and I'm sure we could easily find more.

Only 53? I'm almost disappointed
Quote by Spambot_2

No, a 100w amp + 4x12" isn't going to sound good in a half big club even though it will be loud enough.

it will if it is a nice amp and cab

But I know what you really meant.

+1 to the rest
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by guitar/bass95
Your budget is 700=1300 what? Euro? Dollar? Yen?

What kind of tones do you want? Do you want to use the clean channel a lot? Or do you only want metal tones?

Do you want new or are you ok with used? Where do you live?

I run thru clean now. and I don't know
Meerkat65

LTD M-1000FR/ EMGs
Eugene OR. clean sometimes. mostly metal
Meerkat65

LTD M-1000FR/ EMGs
Quote by Robbgnarly
Where in the world are you located?
What type of "metal"?

Lambofgod, type and megadeth want to do some type o negative type too Eugene OR
Meerkat65

LTD M-1000FR/ EMGs
Last edited by Meerkat65 at Oct 19, 2014,
Eugene Oregon
Meerkat65

LTD M-1000FR/ EMGs
Quote by Spambot_2
You need a PA system.

In what currency?

IEM's only?

I don't know that's why im asking for help
Meerkat65

LTD M-1000FR/ EMGs
So, was it 700 USD or 1300 USD? And I'm sorry, but I don't think I understood if you want the amp to do clean stuff as well?
Quote by Spambot_2
You need a PA system.

In what currency?

IEM's only?

melodic metal ,speed metal not so much screaming and a little classical guitar tossed in
Meerkat65

LTD M-1000FR/ EMGs
Quote by guitar/bass95
So, was it 700 USD or 1300 USD? And I'm sorry, but I don't think I understood if you want the amp to do clean stuff as well?

US dollar and some clean it would be nice if it had some effects
Meerkat65

LTD M-1000FR/ EMGs
Quote by Meerkat65
I run thru clean now. and I don't know
Eugene OR
Meerkat65

LTD M-1000FR/ EMGs
If you want to play metal, but still some nice cleans, a Laney Ironheart could be a good option. I'm still a bit lost on your budget, but you could find a used Mesa Rectifier and they're great amps.
have you tried any amps yet? we can definitely list amps which will (more or less) do what you want, but it helps if you can try them since personal preference affects it a lot, too.

I think LoG uses Mesas. They might be out of budget (if you want to go new, anyway).

Megadeth generally uses hot-rod marshally-type tube amps, I think.

Not too sure about Type O Negative

A peavey 6505 is probably the stock answer but hopefully someone who knows a bit more about the exact types of metal you're looking at can help more...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks. 1300 is max for amp and wireless
Meerkat65

LTD M-1000FR/ EMGs
melodic metal ,tight fast rhythm
Meerkat65

LTD M-1000FR/ EMGs
not 100% sure on "tight and fast" for the 6505. fryette, engl, even peavey xxx (or whatever it's called now) might be better for that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
speed metal. neo classical . fast
Meerkat65

LTD M-1000FR/ EMGs
clean and metal
Meerkat65

LTD M-1000FR/ EMGs
A peavey JSX would work great. awesome clean channel, the crunch channel will do most styles of thrash and the lead channel will do the more modern styles.

Do you want a combo or head and cab?
JSX head $550 www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used--Peavey--JSX-Joe-Satriani-Signature-120W---Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-110229974-i3797212.gc

Marshall 1960 cab $299
www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-Used-Marshall-1960A-300W-4X12-Stereo-Slant-Guitar-Cabinet-110354730-i3947005.gc

JSX 2x12 combo $450 (it says $699 but it has been reduced to $450) www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used--Peavey--JSX-212-50-100W-TUBE-COMBO---Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110230702-i3793022.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
that's a good call on the jsx i think
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
combo or head depends on price. id like 2x12 speakers and 60w of power.built in effects optional
Meerkat65

LTD M-1000FR/ EMGs
Quote by Dave_Mc
that's a good call on the jsx i think

heard bad thins about peavey and crate. fender not heavy sounding enough
Meerkat65

LTD M-1000FR/ EMGs
Quote by guitar/bass95
Well, now you'll hear good things about Peavey: the JSX is a great amp.

+1

Audition the recommendations given so far and don't restrict yourself to specific watts or ignore certain amp brands because of what you've read. Add the Mesa Royal Atlantic 100 and Fryette Sig:X and Deliverance 120 to the list.
Peavey JSX fits the bill. I'd also throw in an Egnater Renegade. I often suggest this amp, it's one of my favorite at that price range, very versatile and sounds great.
Randall RM100 and whatever modules float your boat. For LoG you'll want his:
http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=markus

Quote by Spambot_2

Why not? Regardless of where you are playing you have to get over the drums unless you want to rely on foldback to hear yourself. I've played many, many gigs in small pubs with a 100W/60W/50W 1/2 or 3/4 stack and it always sounded good. Big or small venue, the drummer is the same volume and that's what you are competing against.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 19, 2014,
Quote by Meerkat65
heard bad thins about peavey and crate. fender not heavy sounding enough

Well peavey amps, especially the USA made ones like the JSX are built like tanks. I would put their build quality on par with Mesa and such. Why do you think so many bands still use the Peavey 5150 amps and they are from the early 90's to early 2000's.

If you don't want real help, don't post these kind of threads.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Warning though.

The XXX is heavy to lift.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Robbgnarly
it will if it is a nice amp and cab

But I know what you really meant.
I meant that exactly and I stand by my point.
Quote by Cathbard
Why not?
'cause the dispersion patterns of guitar speakers make them unsuitable for delivering sound to a variety of people located in different parts of a room.

PA systems aren't only for volume and monitoring.
Quote by Cathbard
I've played many, many gigs in small pubs with a 100W/60W/50W 1/2 or 3/4 stack and it always sounded good.
The thing is supposed to sound good to the audience, and you really can tell if it did or didn't sound good to the audience if you were on stage playing guitar.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
There is this thing called a soundman that listens to you and will tell you to turn up or down even if your not mic'd

And if not buy a longer cable or a wireless and do your own sound checks. But what do me and Cath know, we've only been gigging for as long as you've been alive.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
There is this thing called a soundman that listens to you and will tell you to turn up or down even if your not mic'd

And if not buy a longer cable or a wireless and do your own sound checks. But what do me and Cath know, we've only been gigging for as long as you've been alive.

Speaking as an audience member and not a gigging musician, I don't dig the sound of amps that aren't mic'd. I think Spambot_2's concern is with sound distribution rather than volume. You have the percussion and vocals going through the PA and the amp coming from just the guitarist's speakers.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Dispersion patterns have little to do with volume.

Again, PA systems aren't only for volume and monitoring.
Quote by Robbgnarly
And if not buy a longer cable or a wireless and do your own sound checks.
It's not like you can change the directionality of your speakers.

Having tried doing your own sound guy you'll have noticed your rig sounds fairly harsh if you're in front of the cab at the first row and sounds fairly muddy if you're further from the stage and off axis with the cab, which is one of the problems solved by the PA system.
Quote by Robbgnarly
But what do me and Cath know, we've only been gigging for as long as you've been alive.
If you've only been guitarists and not sound guys, I really don't see how gigging could have helped you understanding how to make stuff sound good.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I can certainly gauge it by audience reaction and I get plenty of compliments.

I have found it not wise to rely on the sound guy for your foldback, some are just arseholes. And anyway I want to hear my amp, **** the audience. FoH is the sound guys job, if he can't compensate that's not my problem. He needs to find another job.
We've been playing with 50 and 100W halfstacks in pubs for decades - now you tell me that it's bad? Seriously, what is this bullshit?

Edit: and I usually mike up as well. And I have been the sound guy. You work around it. The guitarist needs a certain volume for feedback and other reasons. If he's as loud as the drums and you want to put some of him through FoH, you turn up the drums and everything else accordingly. It's not the place as the sound guy to dictate terms to the musicians, he's there to support them, not the other way around.

There's a saying that is appropriate here. "The man saying it can't be done shouldn't interrupt the man doing it."
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 20, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
And anyway I want to hear my amp, **** the audience.

Quote by Cathbard
We've been playing with 50 and 100W halfstacks in pubs for decades - now you tell me that it's bad? Seriously, what is this bullshit?

Edit: and I usually mike up as well.
I'm saying the problem presents itself if you don't mic up the amp.

If you do, then the problem goes away and everyone's happy
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Page 1 of 3