Hey pit.

This is one of those rare times when I'm going to actually attempt to
Ask you all a serious question. Don't make me regret it.

Recently I quit my shitty part time job and have been trying to replace it with teaching guitar lessons. The lessons have been going well, and I enjoy my hours and working with students. It is infinitely better than delivering greasy food to drunk people at 3am. And if I can fill out my schedule, the pay is good.

However, after about a month, I only have 6 students. I have so far posted ads on craigslist, emailed local music teachers, put up flyers around the campus of my school, and tried to spread the word to my acquaintances.

Any other ideas on what i can do to get more students? What kind of local places allow you to set up flyers?
Maybe your students think your amp is shit and you need a new amp.

Maybe try Craigslist or maybe your local GC has a bulletin board, I know the one closest to me does.
It tends to be word of mouth.

Try to play/advertise in senior centers. Most conversations go something like, "oh, well i have a teenage grandson/daughter who wants to learn how to play."

Boom. Then you're rolling in da cash/senior bootay.
Plan B: Find yourself a 90 year old sugar momma.

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
find other guitar teachers, wait outside where they hold lessons, and offer to undercut his prices to his students.
inb4 cops are called on OP's ass for loitering and general douchebaggery
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by M00NAGEDAYDREAM

Plan B: Find yourself a 90 year old sugar momma.

hmmmm....I will keep this in mind.
Quote by behind_you
inb4 cops are called on OP's ass for loitering and general douchebaggery

"Hey mom, I need you to come pick me up from jail."

"WHAT DID YOU DO?!"

"They charged me with general douchebaggery"
Get youtube shut down. Most people dont want to pay for a teacher when they can go online or have a buddy help.

And if they are willing to pay they will most likey use bandhappy or whatever its called and get lessons from someone in their favourite band.
Last edited by Wormholes at Oct 19, 2014,
6 students actually seems like a lot if you've only been going at it for a month. It's gonna take time, and if you're good, your students will tell other people to take from you. Getting in with a local music store could be advantageous since they can recommend you to prospective students and possible provide you with a practice room or meeting space. If your city or university has a subreddit, try checking there to see if anyone is looking for lessons or post an ad.

Good luck.
I pride myself on my humility.
I'm kinda in the same situation, and I thought "Hey, not everyone is a guitar noob, some people that already know how to play won't pay for lessons. Why not use the same room as some kind of band/rehearsal/place for other bands to play, and charge them?"

So... why not rent that space (after your lessons) to bands or people that know how to play but aren't in a band?

(Sorry if this post is confusing)
That's because you don't have expensive gear, students want teachers with expensive gear.
Last edited by mp8andrade at Oct 19, 2014,
Quote by mp8andrade
That's because you don't have expensive gear, students want teachers with expensive gear.

u dnt kno shit bout mah gear, m8
Hi, the flyers are a great idea,
I did it when I opened my Lawncare & Handyman business many moons, ago, ( yeah I am an old fart) LMAO.... anyway, when you do your flyers print a bunch of them and put them on peoples windows, on bulletin boards at stores, Laundromats, or any store that have these types of boards. Also, put your ad in the phone book, on phone poles, just about any place that you can think of.. you can even get yourself a couple of magnetic signs the size of your car/truck door and put em on... These are things that I did, and before I knew it my business went from 2/3 yards a day to where I had to hire on help.... Good Luck !
Dave Austin
Don't forget that if all of this fails and you find yourself needing to make rent, there's a corner at every intersection.
Massively word of mouth man, I've taught as my main income for about a year and am up to about 15 students weekly, just encourage your students to tell their friends and family and be prepared for a lot of people who come once and then never answer their phone again. Being cheap helps, I can afford to be at the moment and am building up a large base of positive recommendations because of it. Godspeed man, it's just about the most enjoyable thing I could imagine doing right now
Quote by daustin133
Hi, the flyers are a great idea,
I did it when I opened my Lawncare & Handyman business many moons, ago, ( yeah I am an old fart) LMAO.... anyway, when you do your flyers print a bunch of them and put them on peoples windows, on bulletin boards at stores, Laundromats, or any store that have these types of boards. Also, put your ad in the phone book, on phone poles, just about any place that you can think of.. you can even get yourself a couple of magnetic signs the size of your car/truck door and put em on... These are things that I did, and before I knew it my business went from 2/3 yards a day to where I had to hire on help.... Good Luck !
Dave Austin

Quote by ParasiticTwins
Massively word of mouth man, I've taught as my main income for about a year and am up to about 15 students weekly, just encourage your students to tell their friends and family and be prepared for a lot of people who come once and then never answer their phone again. Being cheap helps, I can afford to be at the moment and am building up a large base of positive recommendations because of it. Godspeed man, it's just about the most enjoyable thing I could imagine doing right now

Thank you both for these great replies!

I am about to print out fliers and put them all over town, rather than just on campus and in music stores. Although I do not think I will be putting them on peoples cars, I think there are laws against that now and imo it seems kind of pushy.

I am hoping to make this my main source of income as well. I have business cards ordered and am going to hand them out to friends and family like candy.

Parasitic, do you have any advice on keeping students over the summer? Right now, all of my students are either in grade school or middle school, and I know from other teachers that sometimes students do not continue lessons over the summer, which obviously is bad because then they don't practice and they forget everything they learned.
half serious:

claim you personally know and hang out with some famous guitar player. or at least one whose name a lot of people might recognize.

this one music store near me seems to be doing that, although i can't speak to how well the business is doing. i only went there once to buy strings.

i usually see bulletin boards in supermarkets where you can put up your ads with the little strips of paper at the bottom with your contact info on it.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo
claim you personally know and hang out with some famous guitar player. or at least one whose name a lot of people might recognize.

this one music store near me seems to be doing that, although i can't speak to how well the business is doing. i only went there once to buy strings.

"Take lessons from me. I MET SLASH ONCE."