hi, i read a lot of opinions saying that the 90's models are in a different league from what is sold by ibanez in the last years.
is it really true? in what is that difference reflected?
its hard for me to understand because basically the recipe is the same (i'm talking RG's), basswood body, floating tremolo, maple neck and rosewood fingerboard.
i mean, how could it be that different?

the reason i'm asking is i have a 2006 korean RG370DX, and i like it, dont really need another guitar, but i saw some guy selling a 1995 mij RG550 that needs some love for really cheap and i'm thinking about going for it, seems a really good deal.
The build quality of MIJ guitars is way better than Chinese or Indonesia. Korean guitars are pretty decent also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
RG550s are awesome! Does it come with Lo-pro or the original Edge? Either way if it's a good price snatch it! Difference is, well the bridge obviously, the neck will be slightly different too, pickups (what are they? V7 V8?) will be as well. These Japanese Ibanez guitars were really well made.
*crosses fingers it also has sharktooth inlays*

The 550 has a reputation for being an adequate JEM substitute. Just sayin'.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
I've had some from mid 80s to early 90s and also a RG2550 Prestige from 2003. I still have one, a '86 PL2550 and it's one of if not the best guitar I've ever touched.

My impression is that the old MIJ ones are better than what you get nowadays, even if they are japanese too. They tend to be cheaper and to come with the outrageous Edge and Lo Pro Edge bridges... if you can grab a RG550 in good conditions and with one of the bridges I mentioned, you won't be disappointed.
I have a 94 Iceman built in Indonesia and an 08 RG7321 built in Indonesia. They were both at the same price point (adjusted for inflation) in their times. I'd say they are about the same as far as quality, the only notable difference between the 2 for me is the RG has bigger, better quality fretwire and the side dots on the Iceman are a bit off center, nothing major. The Iceman is my favorite guitar of the 2 though.

However, Ibanez was still using scarf joints in the 90s on a large portion of their guitars and I have seen a few examples of my model Iceman where the factory glue was bad and the scarf joint started to come apart. This is extremely few and far between, though. But, you still would be hard pressed to find a modern Ibanez with a scarf joint on the neck.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
the neck joint is aanj.
the pickups were swapped with some high model ibanez, they are qm1+qm2
the bridge i think is the original edge, is it?
Attachments:
1.jpg
Actually it's not a lo-pro, they have shorter string locking screws (more like bolts, really) that come out right after the saddle. These in the picture come out under the fine tuners at the end, like an original Edge.

Quote by caiodorn
They tend to be cheaper and to come with the outrageous Edge and Lo Pro Edge bridges... if you can grab a RG550 in good conditions and with one of the bridges I mentioned, you won't be disappointed.

A rare occasion where ' outrageous ' is meant as a good thing.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
I think thats the original Edge bridge. I had a RG550 with the original edge. It was a great guitar, but i sold it because i dislike wizard necks. It made my hand hurt after 30 minutes of playing. But the guitar itself was very well built and sounded pretty good. The bridge was great as well, had good tuning stability. Id say go for it.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by bornfidelity
Actually it's not a lo-pro, they have shorter string locking screws (more like bolts, really) that come out right after the saddle. These in the picture come out under the fine tuners at the end, like an original Edge.

A rare occasion where ' outrageous ' is meant as a good thing.

Hello.

Actually the one that has shorter screws is the Edge Pro. The old Edge and Lo Pro Edge have the big ones that go across under the fine tuners. What differentiates the Lo Pro to the original Edge is that the fine tuners are located a little bit more to the back and has a lower profile, in a way that it's harder to touch them accidentally and get the guitar out of tune because of that.

But to tell the truth I can't say by the pic that it's a Lo Pro for sure... though I can guarantee that it's not an Edge Pro hehehe. Do a quick search for Original Edge and Lo Pro Edge and see the difference.

The 550 and 770 that I had had both lo pros... it was a great piece of hardware.
You know what, bornfidelity... I guess that you are right, too bad my memory is not helping and neither my internet connection.. haha nvm
Yes, you are correct. The one in the picture is the Original Edge, which is one of the finest FR style bridges you van find. Same goes for the Lo Pro... you can't go wrong with those.
As the owner of three old 5XX series Ibanez guitars, I can confirm that they're definitely a load better than any new Ibanez around the same price point nowadays. Whether they're better than modern Prestige Ibanez guitars, I can't confirm or deny that statement. But a great deal for the price? Absolutely. Rock solid trems and an overall nice feel to the guitar.
Splawn Quickrod
Various Pedals
PRS Custom 22
Ibanez RG560
American Standard Strat