I am a drummer *cue abuse* and i want to start learning guitar, just as an extra instrument to have.

What is a decent beginner guitar? i will be getting it from PMT (UK) most likely or some other UK store so no fancy brands that aren't typically available in them stores.

budget is about £200 for the guitar and ill be needing an amp and my budget is about £60 for that, what would you recommend? i play mainly alternative rock, indie and admittedly, quite a lot of pop punk *cue more abuse*

I know its not the right place for it but could anyone recommend me an amp too? would only be for practise so probably about 30 watts, maybe less.

thanks
Could you find a Yamaha Pacifica 112 and a Roland Micro Cube for that price? By the way, 30 watts is way enough for a gigging amp, for practice you'd be fine with a 1 watt amp.

If that is out of your budget, a Squier Affinity would also be a good instrument for the price.
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at Oct 19, 2014,
Quote by guitar/bass95
Could you find a Yamaha Pacifica 112 and a Roland Micro Cube for that price? By the way, 30 watts is way enough for a gigging amp, for practice you'd be fine with a 1 watt amp.

If that is out of your budget, a Squier Affinity would also be a good instrument for the price.

Agreed.

For the amp you could also try to find an used Vox Valvetronix or Peavey Vypyr that fits you budget. They're very nice amps, usually inexpensive in the used market.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
yeah a pacifica 112j or 112v are hard to go wrong with- that's not to say you maybe can't do slightly better if you get lucky, but as a readily-available guitar which is at worst pretty decent and worthy of upgrades later, the 112 is hard to beat.

the v is a slightly more updated version with a few more features... i'd pick more or less based on the price, since the basic guitar is more or less the same I think. if there's little difference in price, get the V... if there's a big difference, get the J.

A vox mini3 would be another option for the amp- possibly more aimed at lower gain tones than the microcube. if you're only practising alone it's loud enough, and has more features (and is maybe better-sounding) than a lot of the 15 watt modelling amps (or at least the 15 and 20 watt cubes and the spiders).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?