Hi, I have been using Justin Guitar to learn, and am enjoying that. I want to learn some extra things, such as how to jam, what do i need to learn for this? Is it scales or something else? Anywhere I can learn these?

I've gotten some good advice on here so far, so sorry if this is a silly question, but I want to better myself and my playing .
yeah generally speaking it's sort of a combination of knowing the key (or chords) of the backing, and then knowing what notes (or scales) will fit over that (and also experience telling you which notes sound good, having a sort of vocabulary of stock licks which you know sound good, etc.).

at its most basic, for example, if you had a chord progression and knew it was in the key of E minor, then soloing with the notes from the E minor scale would generally work (as long as you use your ear to make sure they work as well as possible).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Justin's beginner's course actually teaches you this in stage 9:

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-196-BluesImprovisation.php

In an earlier stage he teaches you the A minor pentatonic scale and then in Stage 9 he shows you how to use that scale to jam over a backing track. The lesson provides links to backing tracks in other keys that you can use as well. If you haven't done that lesson yet, work the beginner course through and you will be ready for it when you get there. Get a simple scale (like the A minor pentatonic) down cold first and then have fun using it to solo. You can even follow some of Justin's blues rhythm lessons in the beginner course and record yourself playing them on your own and then use that as your backing track for the A minor pentatonic scale. That way you are working on both aspects (rhythm and soloing).

Another way to learn is to look on youtube for lessons that contain common blues licks. Work those into the scales you know and try to memorize them so they are in your repertoire. You will find as you force yourself to solo over a backing track you will make up some of your own licks as well.
Last edited by Stides at Oct 20, 2014,
Stides, I completely missed that! Going to watch that now. I've been playing with the blues scale over some backing tracks on youtube, like playing random notes together that sound good, is that good practice?
Quote by conanwarrior
Stides, I completely missed that! Going to watch that now. I've been playing with the blues scale over some backing tracks on youtube, like playing random notes together that sound good, is that good practice?

Playing random notes together? I think that's a bad habit to get into especially if you're trying to learn how to improvise just doing that will lead towards you sounding generic, and robotic not musical. If you want to learn how to improvise you really have to use your ears you don't even have to stay in one specific key you can play all over the neck.

As long as it sounds good it doesn't really matter if I were you I'd look into the transcribing course that Justin has it'll really develop your ears then once you're finished with it you can move onto learning songs you actually like by ear. Just by doing this your ears will really develop take the licks from your favorite song, and experiment, experiment then experiment even more. Use your ears, and get that sound you want onto the strings man there's no other way unless you want to be stuck in patterns all the time repeating yourself..
I don't necessarily mean random notes, I mean notes from the scale, that sound good (to me) when played together.

I'm just getting a little confused where to go, in what way to proceed my learning.
^ Use your ears if you want to proceed with improvising isn't that one of your main goals for now? Music is a language unless you learn the language you won't be able to jam with other musicians that use their ears. No ones going to shout the chord their playing you'll have to learn what chords their playing or what key they're playing in by using your ears dude.

Last edited by Black_devils at Oct 20, 2014,
Yeah that is one of my main goals, just was confused how to get there.
I became ill a few months ago, so tend to get confused quite a lot now, sorry if it seems like I'm asking silly questions, my thought patterns seem to have changed. I've even noticed in video games, I will be playing it and following the story, but am not sure if that is what I am meant to be doing? Hard to explain.
Quote by conanwarrior
Yeah that is one of my main goals, just was confused how to get there.
I became ill a few months ago, so tend to get confused quite a lot now, sorry if it seems like I'm asking silly questions, my thought patterns seem to have changed. I've even noticed in video games, I will be playing it and following the story, but am not sure if that is what I am meant to be doing? Hard to explain.

It's all cool i'm here to help you learn I'll post a link of the course I was talking about.

http://justinguitar.com/en/TR-000-Transcribing.php

^ That's the link I suggest you watch the video where he talks about the importance of transcribing. Justin's a great teacher you're bound to understand the point he's trying to get across, and the importance of transcribing.

http://justinguitar.com/en/TR-001-WhyTranscribe.php

^ Read through this, and watch the video then go through with the course this might be the first step towards the right direction for you mate.

-EDIT- Be patience while going through the course, and don't rush it'll all pay off soon. I went through this course a couple years back, and I've never regretted it. If anything it lead me towards the right direction with anything pertaining to music.

Last edited by Black_devils at Oct 20, 2014,
Thank you .

I think one of my problems is I learnt to play some guitar as a child, classical, learnt to read music (only basic stuff), and now I have came back to it, Watching the lessons I'm like "oh I know this already" and skip through, I should really stick to it properly! I think tonight is the day I make the dedication.

Also, I can keep time with fairly simple progressions, playing along to a metronome, but I can't seem to get my brain to play along in time with some songs. It's like my hands freeze, I can't play it for some reason. I gather that will come with practice.

I'l watch the links you provided, then start from the beginning again .
Last edited by conanwarrior at Oct 20, 2014,
^ No problem i'm always glad to help a fellow musician who actually has interest in learning their instrument.

Quote by conanwarrior

Trusting your ear will help. Something that sounds good will generally work. However, you will find that most licks follow a certain patern or progression through the scale. Also, learn where the root notes are on the scales you are using. The lick or run you are using will usually sound better and more complete when it resolves (or ends) on a root note. You can search online and find the scale pattern with the root notes in red so you can see where they are in the pattern. Marty Scwartz (aka Marty Z) may have a video on YouTube on blues improvisation and pentatonic scales that discusses this concept. You received some really good advice here so it looks like you are well on your way!
Last edited by Stides at Oct 21, 2014,