Okay so I've got a half stack. 100 watts 200 watt cab. I decided to go for a small rack system. Does it go through the effects loop, or the input? Do I need a MIDI footswitch to change channels? Do I absolutely NEED a power conditioner? How do I incorporate a wireless guitar system in it? Any advise is appreciated.
Kind of depends on what you want the rack to do. Some effects sound better in the loop, some might not. Depending on the rack, yes you'll probably need a MIDI switch. I don't know about the power conditioner though. A wireless system should work as usual.
The amp is the distortion. The rack is for wireless, eq, and effects.
There are good quality wireless rack units out there, but I can't seem to recall what were the best ones.

Generally speaking, if you're not using distortion you might want to keep the rack in the loop. For modulation and echo it should work just fine like that.

If you put the EQ in the effects loop, it's going to have a drastic effect on your tone. If it's in the front, it's going to have a more subtle effect. Same goes for all the other effects as well.
Quote by AOD3
Okay so I've got a half stack. 100 watts 200 watt cab. I decided to go for a small rack system. The amp is the distortion. The rack is for wireless, eq, and effects.

Does it go through the effects loop, or the input?

for what it sounds like you want you'll probably want the effects in the loop and the wireless to go into the input.

Quote by AOD3
Do I need a MIDI footswitch to change channels?

need? no. you can just switch amp channels (assuming your amp has multiple channels) and effects patches with your hand.

but if you want to be able to turn things on and off remotely (a foot pedal of some sorts) and possibly switch channels on the amp and effects on the unit with one switch then you will probably need to go with some midi switching. this is a simplification, first you'll need an effects unit that is midi compatible and you'll also need something that can convert midi signals to switch you amp channels (if the amp is not midi compatible anyway, some are)

really this is your call, you give no idea of how you want to use this equipment so this is something you need to sort out and once you figure out how you want things to operate then hit us back.

Quote by AOD3
Do I absolutely NEED a power conditioner?

you are getting a bit dramatic. you don't even NEED a rack, so: no, you don't NEED a power conditioner.

i mainly run power conditioners just to have everything plugged up to it and have one cord to power the whole rack rather than having 2 or 4 (or even 6) cords that need to be plugged in. the surge protection, power conditioning and courtesy lights are a definite bonus though.

Quote by AOD3
How do I incorporate a wireless guitar system in it?

the wireless system doesn't even need to be rack mounted. most of my friends with rackmounts don't mount their wireless. racked or otherwise it is pretty simple: you have a transmitter that generally attaches to your guitar strap, you plug it into the guitar. you then have a receiver that you plug into your amp.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Oct 19, 2014,
Lexicon MX200 for reverb and effects, BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer, Furman M8X2 Power Conditioner, an old ADC stereo equalizer and Line 6 Relay G30 if that helps.
What amp?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by AOD3
Lexicon MX200 for reverb and effects, BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer, Furman M8X2 Power Conditioner, an old ADC stereo equalizer and Line 6 Relay G30 if that helps.

That's funny...I have the same Lexicon, BBE, & Furman power conditioner, but I rarely use the BBE. I always run the Lexicon in the FX loop of whichever amp I'm using. It seems to not work nearly as well otherwise. The power conditioner is an absolute necessity IMO, esp if you play gigs. You never know what jing-rigged wiring a club may have in its walls. My amps are extremely expensive, so I'm not willing to ever risk damaging one with a power surge. At home it's not as crucial, because I know what I'm dealing with (but if you have the conditioner already, why not use it?).
Also, if you go with a rack setup, get one of those cases for it that's covered in fuzzy felt. That way your beer won't slip off Really. It happens.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
I'd start with upgrading the amp first - unless you play Pantera exclusively.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Trust me I could use a dual rectifier or something like that. I just got the randall a month ago and I like to play a lot of Kirk Hammett.
One way to go then would be a Randall RM100 loaded with the Kirk Hammett modules, or similar.

http://www2.randallamplifiers.com/Amplifiers/Signature-Amps/
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100