I just don't get it. As an experiment, I took my C# standard SG, which has Exilir light-heavy hybrids on it (10-52) and threw a set of 10-46 on just to see what would happen.

Tone was excellent.

Bends and trills were crazy easy.

But even with a light touch on the picking hand, the guitar wouldn't stay in tune for more than 15 minutes, if that.

Who knows, maybe Iommi does have to get his tech to turn those pegs after a couple songs.

But is it possible he doesn't, and if so, what's the trick? Could locking tuners help? A hollowed out neck?
Get a new guitar
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
I have 9's set up in Eb with a Floyd, Floyd locking nut and locking tuners...****er still goes out of tune after a few songs. Its not the guitar, its us heavy ass handed players. Iommi has light picking and light fretting because of his accident...not to mention he's old as shit now, but still...C# on 9's is a little ridiculous.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Quote by Jackson kv
Billy Gibbons uses .7's in E tuning

I heard he has his necks hollowed out to compensate for the lack of tension.
Quote by jimihendrix6699
Get a new guitar

Guitar stays in tune with 10-52s.
Quote by RBM01991
Its not the guitar, its us heavy ass handed players. Iommi has light picking and light fretting ....

Surely this is a huge part of the equation. But as you suggest, at some point physics intrudes and one would have to think there is some kind of modification to allow for such light strings.

And 9s for Iommi are of course not the standard 9, 11, 16, 24, 32, 42. On his C# guitar he uses:

.009p, .010p, .012p, .020w, .032w, .042w

For the D# guitar:

.008p, .008p, .011p, .018w, .024w, .032w

http://www.labella.com/artists/tony-iommi/
Found this on Guitar World:

HETFIELD: Wow! So you tuned down to a C sharp or something?

IOMMI: We'd try anything to make our sound heavier.

HETFIELD: Wasn't it hard to stay in tune, especially since you use .008's?

IOMMI: It was. Particularly with my Gibson, because the neck would shift.

http://www.guitarworld.com/tony-iommi-and-james-hetfield-discuss-life-black-sabbath-and-metallica-1992-guitar-world-interview?page=0,2
Dude's got a tech that retunes everything as needed. Though a well set up guitar will minimize the need to tune, you'll pretty much always have to at some point.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by PB26
I heard he has his necks hollowed out to compensate for the lack of tension.

i heard they painted the statue of liberty green to keep the pigeons from shitting on it.

still didn't make any sense whatsoever so i ignored it as the rantings of bullshit artist.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I use 9s on an LTD EXP 200 in Drop A 7 string tuning, and never had any problems with my tuning. And I'm a heavy picker.
Yeah I don't get it. What's shifting and why?
Charvel / Godin / Peavey / Marshall / AMT
Quote by ukkomyrsky
I use 9s on an LTD EXP 200 in Drop A 7 string tuning, and never had any problems with my tuning. And I'm a heavy picker.

Tune the guitar down to G# Standard, which would be 7 string equivalent to C# Standard on 6 string, and see what changes.

9's on C# and 24.75 scale guitar? Mother of god, even wet spaghetti is more tense! He must be ridiculously light picker.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I'm comfused as to what, exactly would be the cause of detuning, assuming a proper setup and quality instrument?

It might be like playing a mop, but it should stay tuned...what mechanism would be at work that would cause strings with less tension to detune faster than those with more?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I've tuned my guitars with 9-42 to Drop C and it can work fine. But you really have to be aware of how you are hitting the strings. I really think that it helped me refine my pick attack.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Arby911
I'm comfused as to what, exactly would be the cause of detuning, assuming a proper setup and quality instrument?

It might be like playing a mop, but it should stay tuned...what mechanism would be at work that would cause strings with less tension to detune faster than those with more?

At least for me it is the sheer pressure of my pick attack, as others are saying. Even with a great setup, there is only so much you can do to prevent string slippage. I'm not going to pretend like I could tell where the failure is happening, but it is something I have noticed.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by MaaZeus
Tune the guitar down to G# Standard, which would be 7 string equivalent to C# Standard on 6 string, and see what changes.

+1

Using a 70 for the G# on my 25.5. Might go 74.

****ing loose. But sounds real nice.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
It;s the power of Iommi's moustache.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by dementiacaptain
At least for me it is the sheer pressure of my pick attack, as others are saying. Even with a great setup, there is only so much you can do to prevent string slippage. I'm not going to pretend like I could tell where the failure is happening, but it is something I have noticed.

If it's string slippage that's a hardware problem, no?

Locking tuners should solve that issue nicely.

My point isn't that it doesn't happen or that you haven't experienced it because no doubt you have, just that lighter strings shouldn't inherently go out of tune any easier than any other strings, given appropriate hardware.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911

My point isn't that it doesn't happen or that you haven't experienced it because no doubt you have, just that lighter strings shouldn't inherently go out of tune any easier than any other strings, given appropriate hardware.

Iommi uses Sperzel locking tuners. Could that be it?
Quote by PB26
Iommi uses Sperzel locking tuners. Could that be it?

Could be, it's certainly part of the equation.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911

Perhaps it's as simple as that. I'd be interested to know why it happens with lighter gauge strings than with heavier though, I think an intensive (generally useless) government study is in order!
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Perhaps it's as simple as that. I'd be interested to know why it happens with lighter gauge strings than with heavier though, I think an intensive (generally useless) government study is in order!

I'm theorizing that there simply isn't enough tension around the tuning post to maintain a positive lock with conventional tuners, especially when you add vibration into the mix.

I'll be the first to note that I have exactly no data to support that theory...
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Oct 21, 2014,