What are some decent examples of guitars that are literally large in size? For instance the Fender Starcaster. What are the advantages of these large semi hollows? Just looking for some basic education.
The Schecter UltraCure is Robert Smith's version of their Ultra body shape.
Being a tall guy, he traced and magnified a body, making it substantially larger than normal.
Another example of this method would be Buckethead's Gibson Les Paul.

I'd say this increase in size increases sustain, and personally I like the way larger guitars feel against me when sitting down. A logical downside would be added weight, unless the body would be chambered or weight-reliefed.
Please let me keep this memory, just this one ..
Large semihollow and hollowbody guitars like the Gretsch White Falcon and Reverend Manta Ray/Tricky Gomez probably resonate and project better acoustically than their smaller bodied cousins. Whether that translates through the pickups & amp into a richer sound is a matter of some debate.

Large solidbodies like the DBZ Imperial, Dean Zelinsky Private Label Zenyatta and Fret-King Ventura probably have better sustain, due to increased mass.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 20, 2014,
Gibson es137, like a big les paul! Very versatile you can play anything from jazz to metal. Also has a center block which stops unwanted feedback.
Gibson ES, Explorer, Flying V, most BC Rich's, don't know the upsides, except you can probably use a BC rich in a zombie apocalypse as a weapon
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Dressing my steak with cum is just adding more protein to my steak.

Quote by Roc8995
The Hello Kitty Strat is the most metal guitar known to man.
I don't Consider 335's or Sheraton's to be big guitars... I mean they're wide but they're relatively thin.

My Godin 5th Is a pretty big guitar ( atleast and inch wider then my Sheraton and 2½ inches deep) And the Depth and general helps with the Acoustic projection.

on a solid body I guess it could be for sustain or just general look.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Es-175

I want one, but can't justify buying one right now be cause I play music that would not fit the hollow body.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Es-175

I want one, but can't justify buying one right now be cause I play music that would not fit the hollow body.

There's quite a few bands I can think of that play on the heavier side that use semi-hollows, not too many that do full-hollow though. I personally love the sound of a distorted semi-hollow for big riff rock, it doesn't do as well for the diddlies and the noodly leads that are popular in metal, but man do chords sound huge. Feedback is a bitch of course.

As I have said before TS, why do guitarists do anything? The TOANZ!
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Extra size isn't going to increase sustain. Maximum sustain would theoretically come from a string anchored to infinitely small points in a vacuum.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Extra size isn't going to increase sustain. Maximum sustain would theoretically come from a string anchored to infinitely small points in a vacuum.

You can get some pretty long notes out of those hollows and semi-hollow with all that feedback though!

The best sustain I've ever heard came from one of those little carbon fibre cricket bat Steinbergers. Talking natural sustain here, not Gary Moore/Santana style feedback driven sustain.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'm sure, Steinbergers are the shit, and they are a company that actually innovates. I imagine they'd be the ones to make a guitar with awesome sustain with nothing to it just to screw with guitar players at large
Quote by Cathbard

Right.

We're only missing the vacuum at the moment.

We need someone who really sucks.
I wonder what it's like to play. Comfort for the right hand, I mean mainly.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by dspellman
Right.

We're only missing the vacuum at the moment.

We need someone who really sucks.

Ha.
I, sir, really suck.

Gimme dat!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!