I am a beginner so I have not learnt how to pick really fast yet. I am having problems with picking the upper 3 strings mostly E, A and D. The reason for this I think is that the strings are thicker and don't bend as easy as the lower strings. So when I hit he let's say low E string and dig the pick too deep, I get stuck with the pick on that thick string and can't play as fast/smoothly as on the lower three thinner strings. Another reason is that when I move my hand up, the pick is not at the same good angle as it is on the lower strings, so instead of "slicing/cutting" through the thick string smoothly, it bumps into it and gets stuck or messes up my picking.

Problem with this string: E-------------
Problem with this string: A-------------
Problem with this string: D-------------
.....................................G-------------
.....................................B-------------
.....................................E-------------

How do you solve this problem?
Last edited by Zerpent93 at Oct 20, 2014,
Well, these are called the lower strings because their notes are lower.

You should not be digging at any of the strings.

Try a thinner pick, use one made of softer plastic, and pick with a slight compound angle to the strings - so that the string rides up the edge of the pick, not the face of it.

Try youtube for picking technique videos
Quote by PSimonR
Well, these are called the lower strings because their notes are lower.

You should not be digging at any of the strings.

Try a thinner pick, use one made of softer plastic, and pick with a slight compound angle to the strings - so that the string rides up the edge of the pick, not the face of it.

Try youtube for picking technique videos

You said that I should try a pick with softer plastic. I like Jazz III picks. So far I have liked the Jazz III Ultex which are hard and the Jazz III Max Grip which is also hard. Is the Jazz III Red pick a good choice? Any tips?
Quote by Tempoe
stick with the JazzIII and angle it a bit more

I angle it more now and it really helped. But I get a bit more tension in the picking hand because I have to hold my thumb and index slightly different but maybe it will go away or I will be able to change grip a bit until it feels comfortable again . I'm aware of that tension isn't good.