I've decided to refurbish my first guitar (Epiphone Junior) and the only thing that's kept me from doing so in the past is my love of Fenders and general dislike of humbuckers. I started looking into coil splitting/tapping and thought about doing it on this guitar but i'd have no interest in the humbucker option. I thought i'd just coil split without a switch but I read that coil split/tapped humbuckers sound far from fender style single coils.
Any advice?
Quote by OnlyTwin
I've decided to refurbish my first guitar (Epiphone Junior) and the only thing that's kept me from doing so in the past is my love of Fenders and general dislike of humbuckers. I started looking into coil splitting/tapping and thought about doing it on this guitar but i'd have no interest in the humbucker option. I thought i'd just coil split without a switch but I read that coil split/tapped humbuckers sound far from fender style single coils.
Any advice?

If you like your first guitar and aren't planning to sell it, I'd say by all means refurbish it. Since you don't like humbuckers, why dont you use a single p-90 pickup to replace the stock humbuckers on your Epiphone? It gives plenty of crunch and bite, and you can get really nice clean tones too. Or, you can find a way to insert a slanted single-coil pickup in there, by either building or getting someone to build a cavity to allow you to insert a slanted single-coil pickup on your epiphone Jr and have it be secure and in place.

My Seymour duncan hot rails on the bridge of my strat sounds amazing. Its got plenty of bite, is really crunchy and bassy when I need it too, but retains the brightness and loudness of a single-coil which I love. Depending on your playing style, you can look at that, or the cool rails, or any other pickups you prefer.

Good luck.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 20, 2014,
You could wire it in single coil mode and get a 250k tone pot and a .033 uf capacitor, that should get it closer to a good single coil sound, that's also how my friends Gibson les paul jr is wired.

+1 on the guitarfetish stuff as stated above, I have a fat pat humbucker set that I really like.
I was also going to recommend GF. The single coil ring for a humbucker mount will do the job fine.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I'm not generally a series-wired humbucker fan, but I prefer both parallel and single wired hums to strat SC, especially in the bridge position. While I'm a P90 fan and I agree that hum-sized P90s are a good idea (I have four from GFS, the now-discontinued Brooklyns), I wouldn't dismiss parallel and single switching on hearsay. Let your ears be the judge. I have it on one guitar and like the tonal capabilities a lot.
maybe duncan stag mags or something like that. I haven't tried them, but in theory they should be closer to "real" fender-style singles when split.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
maybe duncan stag mags or something like that. I haven't tried them, but in theory they should be closer to "real" fender-style singles when split.

Just had a look. I think the idea is terrific, but they seem to be vintage strat stagger, which I personally wouldn't have a bar of with a plain third string. - But there again I've never understood how vintage stagger continues to sell.
Last edited by Tony Done at Oct 20, 2014,
Quote by Tony Done
Just had a look. I think the idea is terrific, but they seem to be vintage strat stagger, which I personally wouldn't have a bar of with a plain third string. - But there again I've never understood how vintage stagger continues to sell.

yeah that's a good point. i'm sure other manufacturers make ones like that without the stagger if that's a problem.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The point of this guitar was to not spend any money on it. Could I, in theory, make a single coil out of the humbucker that I have? If so, how close would I get to a Fender single coil sound?
Quote by OnlyTwin
The point of this guitar was to not spend any money on it. Could I, in theory, make a single coil out of the humbucker that I have? If so, how close would I get to a Fender single coil sound?

If you are planning on coil splitting the stock humbucker then no it will most likely sound nothing like a fender sc
Quote by sytharnia1560
If you are planning on coil splitting the stock humbucker then no it will most likely sound nothing like a fender sc

It's true that it might not sound quite like a strat, but it will, IMO, sound more sc-like than like a series-wired humbucker. Who knows, he mighty prefer it to the strat sound - I certainly do for bridge pickups - and it does provide versatility. The experimental approach is a good idea in a case like this. - It doesn't cost much, and it will provide an answer.
^ Yeah. I'd never say they sound exactly like a Fender-style single coil, but they sound a lot closer than a full humbucker. And (other than the time, money and bother to wire it in) you don't really lose anything so it's pretty much a shot to nothing.
Quote by OnlyTwin

It can be done, but probably won't sound great. Does the current stock humbucker have exposed pole pieces? And are they adjustable? Like, you can put a screw driver in there and pull them out? If so, I've heard that you can just physically remove one of the rows of pole pieces, and that'll make the pickup work as a single coil.
Quote by the_bi99man
It can be done, but probably won't sound great. Does the current stock humbucker have exposed pole pieces? And are they adjustable? Like, you can put a screw driver in there and pull them out? If so, I've heard that you can just physically remove one of the rows of pole pieces, and that'll make the pickup work as a single coil.

I've tried that*, and it works well. You end up with a flat-pole somewhat-SC-like sound, but lose the versatility of s/s/p switching. I read that the old studio guys used to do that if the arrangement called for an SC sound.

I currently have one set up as a Z-coil. It was a double-scewpole bridge pickup, and I removed three poles from each coil. The treble poles are in the coil away from the bridge, the bass poles in the coil closest to it. The idea is that it will give a little more edge to the bass strings and a little less to the trebles. (If I was really pushing it I could put separate tone and volume controls on the two coils. ) It still doesn't sound like a strat SC, but that is fine with me, because I wouldn't want that sound in a neck pickup anyway.
Quote by the_bi99man

shit I totally forgot about the technique...this is probably the quickest way of doing a single coil but yeah you lose versatility