Hey UG-ers,

I've had trouble with tremolo picking for years and I always try to compensate by either picking faster or using a combination of hammer ons and pulls offs to compensate for the fact that I can't pick one string up and down really fast.

I can manage it alright on the low E string, but especially when it gets to G, B and high E,
it gets nigh impossible to upkeep the technique at a consistent speed without hitting the other strings and/or hitting bum notes.

Anyone successful at overcoming this problem? I know they say practice makes perfect, but ive been trying to practice it again and again to no avail. I think i need to nail the technique before i can practise it.

Thanks.
The absolute keys to tremelo picking are a.) picking only from the wrist and b.) making your motions as small as possible. If you are hitting other strings, that tells me your picking motion is out of control (probably due to trying to play faster than your ability and using your forearm for movement on top of that).

Since you say you are better on the low-E string, start there. Practice trem picking slowly with as little movement as possible. Choking up on the pick a little may help a bit as well. You should barely be making contact with the string. FOCUS on making the smallest movements possible -- I really can't say that enough. THAT is where your speed will come from; speed comes from economy of motion. This is why picking from your forearm doesn't work -- you're flapping your whole arm around, using tons of energy and tension, to perform a task in which only about 2 mm of motion is required.

Once you get comfortable playing relaxed and fairly fast on the low-E, start working your way to higher and higher strings. Each string should be trained individually because each has a different tension and will respond a little differently to your efforts. I have to admit, I find it hardest to tremelo pick on the high-E string, since it's the thinnest string and thus has far less tension than the low-E, for example. You really have to lighten up your force on those thinner strings.

Hope that helps! Really, it's just about time spent practicing with QUALITY. After 10 years or more of tremelo picking, I am like a robot when it comes to that skill. But it took a long time to hone it to where it is now.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Oct 20, 2014,
Quote by KailM
The absolute keys to tremelo picking are a.) picking only from the wrist and b.) making your motions as small as possible. If you are hitting other strings, that tells me your picking motion is out of control (probably due to trying to play faster than your ability and using your forearm for movement on top of that).

Since you say you are better on the low-E string, start there. Practice trem picking slowly with as little movement as possible. Choking up on the pick a little may help a bit as well. You should barely be making contact with the string. FOCUS on making the smallest movements possible -- I really can't say that enough. THAT is where your speed will come from; speed comes from economy of motion. This is why picking from your forearm doesn't work -- you're flapping your whole arm around, using tons of energy and tension, to perform a task in which only about 2 mm of motion is required.

Once you get comfortable playing relaxed and fairly fast on the low-E, start working your way to higher and higher strings. Each string should be trained individually because each has a different tension and will respond a little differently to your efforts. I have to admit, I find it hardest to tremelo pick on the high-E string, since it's the thinnest string and thus has far less tension than the low-E, for example. You really have to lighten up your force on those thinner strings.

Hope that helps! Really, it's just about time spent practicing with QUALITY. After 10 years or more of tremelo picking, I am like a robot when it comes to that skill. But it took a long time to hone it to where it is now.

This guy hit the nail on the head, but I still think OP needs to find some picking exercises.

-EDIT- I just found the video pertaining to OP's problem he should use this exercise I have it implemented in my picking exercises it's really good to practice it with straight down strokes or up stroke going up, and down the strings. This is a really good exercise to get your alternative picking up. In addition I posted a lot of good advice in another thread where someone was having trouble with their right hand or in general just building their technique up. Here's the link for "Said" video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1ETtvhPqdQ

^ This is the video for the picking exercise.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1658082

^ Here's the link for the thread I was talking about OP read through it, and i'm pretty sure you'll gain some pretty decent insight on how to build technique.
Last edited by Black_devils at Oct 20, 2014,