Recently made the call that I'm better off with a multi-channel amp for the time being (for gigging), and look to get a super clean amp in the future.

I was basically ready to pull the trigger on any 2nd hand JCA50 that popped up, or see if I could get a bargain DSL50. Now just been offered a Blackstar Series One 50 head for a pretty good price.

I've played a Blackstar, and heard a couple of bands with a decent guitar sound from these heads (imo). I prefer British voicing, and expect that I can get a sound that I like out of it for shows.

Aside from personal taste, any reason why I should stay well away from the Series One? Open to any other British voiced amps I should consider for up to £400 (currently use a Laney GH100 live, but I find that too messy when driven heavily).
Can you try the amp?
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
If you like the amp and are happy with the price, go for it I have heard good things about the Series 1.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Seems like a good price, they are fine amps by everything I've heard. Curiously, could you find a VH for a similar price? If you like the GH it seems like the obvious choice.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
The Series One is a good amp but there is a good reason not to buy it - Blackstar are unethical, lying dirtbags that don't deserve the steam off your shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The Series One is a good amp but there is a good reason not to buy it - Blackstar are unethical, lying dirtbags that don't deserve the steam off your shit.

I've got to hand it to you Cath, you are a man of principle. You stick to your guns
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
i have played one for a little while maybe for a half hour, at a store. low volumes though. its not bad at all. its leaps and bouds in comparison to the smaller HT's.

but i think you could find something better. but again it depends where you are. there are so many decent and quite a few good and a few awesome, the field has really opened up. this would qualify as a decent to good.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Cathbard

Would buying a used Series One for a silly price be acceptable?

I had the Series One 200 briefly, and it was decent. Got it used and for a silly price.
Series One kills Jet City and DSL. Honestly. I say that as a man of principle (lol) like Cath, I despise Blackstar from an ethical/marketing point of view. But the Series One amps are really gnarly.

If you buy used, it's not like you're really supporting them... directly anyway...

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
for a little bit more i would pick up a splawn. no comparison. as far as around $2k in new pricing. i picked up both a promod and a nitro averaging out to $1050 a pop.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Ippon
Would buying a used Series One for a silly price be acceptable?

I had the Series One 200 briefly, and it was decent. Got it used and for a silly price.

Well at least the money wouldn't be going directly to Blackstar. Using it on stage would be advertising them though. But as long as it didn't go out in public I suppose it'd be ok.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Offworld92
Series One kills Jet City and DSL. Honestly. I say that as a man of principle (lol) like Cath, I despise Blackstar from an ethical/marketing point of view. But the Series One amps are really gnarly.

If you buy used, it's not like you're really supporting them... directly anyway...

Agreed. Sold it for what I paid to a buddy and I have dibs just in case I need to buy it back if he needs to sell it.

Quote by Cathbard
Well at least the money wouldn't be going directly to Blackstar. Using it on stage would be advertising them though. But as long as it didn't go out in public I suppose it'd be ok.

I could probably replace the nameplate with the reserve Fryette or Bogner plates I have.
That would be acceptable.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

What did blackstar do to you?
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Lied
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Lied

Tell me moar please
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
They prey on the beginner/budget guitarist by selling them full tube amplifiers that are not full tube amplifiers.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by 457undead
Tell me moar please
They market the HT series as all tube and they aren't, not even close.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ok, cheers. As ever, a cheap amp would be too good to be true. Turns out the clean gain knob had broken off and the guy was getting it repaired. However he's now said he wants to shift it quickly & has offered to sell it me unrepaired for less. Could work out in my favour, but I'm no amp expert and I wasn't born yesterday, so I'm back to square one.
Quote by Cathbard
They market the HT series as all tube and they aren't, not even close.

Isn't that, I don't know.... Illegal? For fraud?
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
Quote by 457undead
Isn't that, I don't know.... Illegal? For fraud?

Technically yes it is, but they use loop holes and get away with it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate