Having an issue with my setup. It's been a while, so I'm a little rusty on things. I've got an Epiphone SG that I'm plugging into a Crate GT15. The GT15 is plugged into an Alesis Multimix 8 USB FX mixer. No matter what line I give it, I get an overpowering hiss when I play it back in Audacity. Headphones are in the mixer and USB to monitor is on. I have tried with the main to monitor off and even took the mixer out of the playback equation completely. I still get the same hiss on the laptop speakers.

Any tips?
Quote by TheGloryCole
The GT15 is plugged into an Alesis Multimix 8 USB FX mixer.

Can you elaborate on this bit? How is it connected?

The problem will probably be related to however you're getting the amp sound into the mixer, because unless you're using a mic for that, you're gonna have a bad time.

People will tell you that the cheap mixer is the problem, but I own the same one and use it once in a blue moon for additional inputs and it doesn't add any hiss to my rig.

Also, try swapping audacity for the trial version of Reaper. There's not usually an audio quality difference between DAWs, but audacity tends to be a cut below the rest somehow.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Thanks for the recommendation. It's plugged in via 1/4". No XLRs are being used, which may be my problem. I'm wondering if it's the amp or the pickups. I don't really hear it when I record, but it's definitely there on the playback.

The reason I'm recording it through the mixer is because I live in an apartment, so I have to keep it down for the neighbors. Should I find a place to just mic it up, do you have any recommendations on mics?
Last edited by TheGloryCole at Oct 20, 2014,
Quote by TheGloryCole
Thanks for the recommendation. It's plugged in via 1/4". No XLRs are being used, which may be my problem. I'm wondering if it's the amp or the pickups. I don't really hear it when I record, but it's definitely there on the playback.

The reason I'm recording it through the mixer is because I live in an apartment, so I have to keep it down for the neighbors. Should I find a place to just mic it up, do you have any recommendations on mics?

Well, where is there a 1/4" out on the amp? That's probably the issue is that whatever you're using to get out of the amp isn't meant for this sort of recording application.

If you need to keep volume down, your best bet is to learn about recording your guitar via DI and then using virtual amps. There is a TON of info here in the stickied threads, so check that out and see if you have better luck with that method.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Did you disengage any input monitoring and disarm the record on that track before playing it back? Sometimes that causes extra noise for me on playback when I'm going straight from the amp into the box by way of a 1/4" jack like you described.

Though I don't use audacity, and normally I do the guitar via D/I with a preamp and use virtual amps/effects, or I mic my amp.
Si
Thanks for the input! I'll give it a shot. Unfortunately, Audacity is all I have at the moment.