I am A small human being. on a good day I barely make 5'6" and 90lbs.

Since my last Gig with my tubemeister didn't turn out to well ( I learned 5 watts is not enough to gig and still sound reasonably nice) I went out and rented a big 2x12 90Watt combo amp. This thing weight almost 130lbs and I cannot lift it for more than a few steps with out having to take a very pathetic break :P .

Tomorrow I have an audition right after my classes For a big Battle of the Bands event in my city,Luckily this event is in the Auditorium in the place. Unluckily this means I have to carry the amp with me all day.

Im thinking about eventually getting some sort of trolly, but I was wondering if a rollerplank would work for a little while?

TLDR; How do you guys carry around your large amps? any Ideas on the quick?

--
b
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Last edited by boblittle at Oct 20, 2014,
A combo that big doesn't have castors?! What a shame.

Usually amps that big either have castors or guys put them in road cases with castors. A dolly could work, but why not have wheels all the time?

Since you rented it, I figure you can't drill holes and put castors on it, but when you get your ow larger amp I highly suggest it. Or don't get such a big amp.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I'm an 8-stone weakling who would have got sand kicked in his face if he had ever gone down to the beach. (But I don''t suppose you remember those ads.) I would never use anything heavier than a 112. If I had had to go bigger, (I didn't, we used PA sound reinforcement) I would have gone head + cab.

In your present predicament your idea may be good, or a two-wheel furniture trolley. - I used those a lot to lug grain sacks and bins about when I was working.
Quote by TheStig1214
A combo that big doesn't have castors?! What a shame
Usually amps that big either have castors or guys put them in road cases with castors. A dolly could work, but why not have wheels all the time?

Since you rented it, I figure you can't drill holes and put castors on it, but when you get your ow larger amp I highly suggest it. Or don't get such a big amp.

I'm seriously surprised it doesn't. Plan on only using a head and a 1x12cab once I get Something bigger.

Quote by Tony_duone
I'm an 8-stone weakling who would have got sand kicked in his face if he had ever gone down to the beach. (But I don''t suppose you remember those ads.) I would never use anything heavier than a 112. If I had had to go bigger, (I didn't, we used PA sound reinforcement) I would have gone head + cab.

In your present predicament your idea may be good, or a two-wheel furniture trolley. - I used those a lot to lug grain sacks and bins about when I was working.

I went to the little shop and It was this old combo (its pretty beat up and the guys at the shop don't even know what it was originally) or a 6505+ head and I don't think that'd' work out well for Blues and alternative ambient stuff.

Thanks for the imput!
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
These are pretty handy as long as you don't have to do flights of stairs. FYI A Hot Rod Deluxe is plenty loud for any gig and weighs 45 lbs. If you are going to spend $100 on a good cart, why not buy a mic and just mic your 5 watter? Plenty of sound then.

http://www.uline.com/BL_1816/Folding-Hand-Trucks?pricode=WL572&utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=folding%20dolly&utm_campaign=Material%20Handling&AdKeyword=folding%20dolly&AdMatchtype=e&gclid=CMHbmbi0vMECFQNeKgodkxAA_A&gclsrc=ds

I also usually bring along one of these:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Four-Wheel+Moving+Dolly&Form=IQFRDR
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Oct 20, 2014,
Something like this is best. Stairwalker wheels and a strap to secure the amp to it.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I am A small human being. on a good day I barely make 5'6" and 90lbs.

Since my last Gig with my tubemeister didn't turn out to well ( I learned 5 watts is not enough to gig and still sound reasonably nice) I went out and rented a big 2x12 90Watt combo amp. This thing weight almost 130lbs and I cannot lift it for more than a few steps with out having to take a very pathetic break :P .

I'm 6'1", 250 lbs and built like a linebacker, but I still put wheels on anything heavier than a ham sandwich <G>. I've spent enough time getting a hammond B3 and wood Leslie tone cabinet on and off a bus; my dues are paid.

These days my usual gig rig is a Pod ("You have a place for me to go DI into the mixer?").
Worst case, I cart along that and a 1500W (9 lbs) power amp and a 45 lb cabinet that will handle about 800W (it's that light because it's built out of lighter plywood and has neo-magnet speakers). I can one-hand the cabinet and the rest has shoulder straps. With guitar and everything I'm carting about half that 130 lb rig of yours.
B3's are crazy hard to move around aint they? You really need to be set up like a professional piano mover to cart 'em around.
I used to cart around W-bins that were even harder - no handles, physically huge and very very awkward. These days I don't even bother with them but when I did, I just loaded it onto a trolley/dolly/handcart and wheeled it where it needed to go. But you needed a truck/van. No way in hell you'd get them into a car.
My RM100 is crazy heavy and very big, not W bin big but still damn big and 90lb. Getting it in and out of the back seat isn't too hard and once it's on the trolley it's no harder than anything else really. **** carrying stuff by hand, that's just crazy talk.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
B3's are crazy hard to move around aint they? You really need to be set up like a professional piano mover to cart 'em around.

You need minions. Slaves. Roadies!
The B3 wasn't all THAT bad; there are dolly setups specifically designed for them that strap onto either end, and you get two normal human beings or one buffalo at each end if you need to lift. These days they ride in crates that have fork lift slots on the bottom.

We had one roadie who was about 6'6" and willowy like a spider. He was also pretty much albino, with white hair and really light blue eyes. For the longest time we wondered if he was gay. Until one morning we knocked on the door to his room and three giggling women (leftovers from the previous night's party) came scrambling out.

Evidently not.
Quote by dspellman
I'm 6'1", 250 lbs and built like a linebacker, but I still put wheels on anything heavier than a ham sandwich <G>. I've spent enough time getting a hammond B3 and wood Leslie tone cabinet on and off a bus; my dues are paid.

These days my usual gig rig is a Pod ("You have a place for me to go DI into the mixer?").
Worst case, I cart along that and a 1500W (9 lbs) power amp and a 45 lb cabinet that will handle about 800W (it's that light because it's built out of lighter plywood and has neo-magnet speakers). I can one-hand the cabinet and the rest has shoulder straps. With guitar and everything I'm carting about half that 130 lb rig of yours.

i am 6' 270lbs and am also like a linebacker, its hard for me to wrap it up. i can carry a 4x12" up stairs fine for maybe two flights. the guys i play with a lot are close nit and they grab one side for me.

my WORST thing i have is a trace elliot speed dwin. 95lbs. and it only has a handle on top that i don't feel it is competent for carrying the amp so i have someobody grab one side from the bottom.

wheels are always the way to go. but get bigger ones from northern equipment or something. i hate those little 1 1/2" casters. mine are abound three inches. it really makes a big difference.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
get your drummer. thats what they are for...
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Wow, I'm so glad I am 6'9". I can carry an Ampeg 8x10 by myself with relative ease.

Anyways. Probably just use a two wheel dolly or something similar and a friend.
Quote by VishNuRoXoUt
Wow, I'm so glad I am 6'9". I can carry an Ampeg 8x10 by myself with relative ease.

Anyways. Probably just use a two wheel dolly or something similar and a friend.

if your serious 6'9" damn your head by code only clears a door frame by 3"

i think that there are very few people that can carry an ampeg 8x10"

i know you are trolling, but its not like a 4x12" is that heavy., just a little awkward.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Ippon
Did you wrestle?

if he does, i am pretty sure ippon would probably beat his ass
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Like dspellman I too moved my share of Hammonds and leslies (I worked with one keyboard player who insisted on two leslies) and my biggest nightmare was playing with a bass player who had an original Ampeg SVT amp with two cabinets so I have that same feeling about moving stuff. I also remember moving Altec Voice of the Theater speakers all the time. Oh such memories.
I bought a $100 metal hand truck at my local Lowes years ago. It was probably the best $100.00 I ever spent. My back thanks me all the time. Forget about that "car creeper" the wheels are too small. Bigger wheels are better on any hand truck or cart.
Attachments:
646072700808lg.jpg
miniA7_e1.jpg
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Oct 21, 2014,
Ah yes Altec A7 Voice of The Theater cabs. Ours were internally biamped and we mounted wheels and handles on the side. They sounded great and were bulletproof but 250lbs each as I recall and we gigged with them for 8 years. I don't miss moving them at all.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Yes those Altec Voice of the theater speakers were great. I never had ones with any internal amps. They were heavy enough. It was amazing how loud that one speaker and a horn in each cabinet could get. We used two Crown DC 300 amps, the ones that had the wooden cabinets. Great memories but they were so heavy and took up so much room. We didn't have hand trucks then. We were young and gung ho and just carried them.
I still have a pair of Altec A7's. Trying to get rid of them. Anyone?

I had two Leslies at one point -- (Rick, is that YOU?) these were 250W honkers that had a PAIR of 15" bottom end with 100W each and each 15" had its own rotating baffle. The horn on top was an altec 811, and we ran 50W through that driver. Built by some guy who did custom sound gear out of a shop next to the Palladium in Hollywood.

The pair of them were daunting.
Quote by Rickholly74
Yes those Altec Voice of the theater speakers were great. I never had ones with any internal amps. They were heavy enough. It was amazing how loud that one speaker and a horn in each cabinet could get. We used two Crown DC 300 amps, the ones that had the wooden cabinets. Great memories but they were so heavy and took up so much room. We didn't have hand trucks then. We were young and gung ho and just carried them.
"Young and stupid" is the phrase.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You could be right. In my "young and stupid" days I also had a thing for climbing up and playing on top of tables in a club then jumping off. Yes it was dumb and is probably why I had to have one of my knees operated on last year. Fortunately I haven't experienced back problems (yet), but I recommend handtrucks to anyone carrying equipment.