Page 1 of 2
well i am at a time where i am financially sound, but not a lot extra.

1. a fourth Prestige
2. a fourth tele (64AVRI)
3. a 6505 head and have a little room for a noise suppressor, and some effects if possible
4. some form of recording need good interface and not sure if my computer is up to par

as far as the guitars go i think i would lean to the tele, but the only thing is i want an EMG based Ibby Prestige (all others are dimarzio's) so this is a toss up.

recording would be top priority, but i think i need a new computer which throws it way over budget. the price of the computer would be more expensive than any of the other items. and i need a second mic.

the 6505 is just to have. its in industry staandard, cheap, and its really the only cheap metal amps i don't own. i do like the tone, just not for everything.

$1200 TOPS

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
You should go off your beaten path and get something completely different. Maybe a Fender offset or some sorta semi-/hollow body.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I understand buying something to round out a collection, but buying the 6505 head isn't my kind of thing.

So I'd go with option 4.

Part of that is that, while I know guys who have 12+ Fender Strats and the like, I own over 20 guitars, and have only duplicated a single purchase- I own 2 Fernandes Ravelles, and want a 3rd. I also have a string interest in acquiring a second Dean Cadillac and Reverend Manta Ray 390. But 4 of a single kind of guitar seems odd to me.

But a bigger part is my newfound interest in recording my own stuff, however crappily. Most of what I play is my own stuff, but I write down none of it. Recording would let me keep a hold of my compositions...because it is depressing me how many I have forgotten.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by lucky1978
You should go off your beaten path and get something completely different.

This is worthy of consideration.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I know too well how it is when your computer can't handle the recording, and I have a lot of problems with it myself. So, I don't know, maybe you shouldn't get gear that you can't utilize yet?

About guitars and amps, well, you have lot's of the already So I think neither is more important than the other? I mean, you don't look like you exactly have a dire need for a new guitar or a new amp, so maybe you should pick the one that's the most fun?

Or you could just save for a computer too? Or is that way out of the question?
On the expanding horizons front, you wouldn't even have to venture too far out of your comfort range to find a new toy.

For instance, lots of other companies have interesting takes on classic
Fender guitars. Consider this G&L:

http://www.guitarsandeffects.com/2014a04a10gnlz3asat/gnlz3asat

This Reverend:
http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/products/reverend-pete-anderson-pa-2-eastsider-s-satin-tobacco-burst-w-wilkinson-tremolo?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=675614153&gclid=CIXB2bCYvcECFRcbaQod4CMANQ

A Carvin:
http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/tlb60

Or this Anderson:
www.guitarsandeffects.com/2013a09a18andersonwalnuthollowt/andersonwaluthollowt

(OK, that last one is 50% higher than your budget but I included it as an example of the possibilities. And its pretty. )

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 21, 2014,
wow lots of thoughts i will recall as many as possible.

the fourth tele is a little odd to some, but i just love teles. i like the more vintage aspect of them. holy god i plugged my 52RI in to my 18w dimed, it sung like nothing i have ever heard (partially not being used to SC's yet) it was awesome.

four RG's could easily look silly, but with the trems, i use different tunings, so its a luxury, i really am thinking that way. i would only go 2000 or 3000.

maybe i should pick up a second strat? i forgot about that. but strats have never bonded to me like teles, maybe i should consider a strat.

5150. cheap could get a couple of pedals too. it is a unique amp and i know 'rounding' out the edged seems dumb.

ippon the money wont get higher for a while. i don't dive into the extremely expensive amps. its not also not like i am playing with shitty amps.$

the recording would be fun, but danny has a point and so does guitar/bass95. all i have is a corei3 gateway laptop with 2gig of ram and windows 8.1. i paid $300 new from tigerdirect.com because i had one that died and i needed something.

also as far as fender and G&L i am on the Fender side they got the vibe, i am a loyalist to fender now... lol.

i am not interested in a offset or semi/full. the offsets that have a 24"scale wouldn't work for me at all, and it is a big feel difference.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Dude, for 1200$ you can get a crazy good computer and a solid interface for recording. I think you could get a quad core with 8 or even 16GB of ram and an SSD for that, and a Focusrite Scarlett. Maybe even a mic or two. Unless if you want an Apple computer, but those are like 4x overpriced for what they offer.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
If you DO go the recording path, check out Sweetwater.

http://www.sweetwater.com

My church's music minister is an established Christian rock artist & composer, and he introduced me to them. They're good folk who are willing to help you find solutions. Their prices won't knock you over- for good or ill- but you can bet that whatever you get from them will arrive quickly, intact, and as advertised. Good return policies, too.

Quote by gorkyporky
Dude, for 1200$ you can get a crazy good computer and a solid interface for recording. I think you could get a quad core with 8 or even 16GB of ram and an SSD for that, and a Focusrite Scarlett. Maybe even a mic or two. Unless if you want an Apple computer, but those are like 4x overpriced for what they offer.

+1
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Basicly, for your budget you can get this:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Envy-17-j010us-17-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00CXFHA94/ref=sr_1_14?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=9798635356&sr=1-14

and this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlett6i6

And this is far from the best deal, its just somethig i found in a few minutes. You can get a desktop computer with much better specs for the same price, and you can also get the Scarlett 2i4, since you wont really be needing the added functions of the 6i6. You should also get a set of studio monitors for whatever cash you have left.
Quote by gorkyporky
Basicly, for your budget you can get this:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Envy-17-j010us-17-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00CXFHA94/ref=sr_1_14?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=9798635356&sr=1-14

and this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlett6i6

And this is far from the best deal, its just somethig i found in a few minutes. You can get a desktop computer with much better specs for the same price, and you can also get the Scarlett 2i4, since you wont really be needing the added functions of the 6i6. You should also get a set of studio monitors for whatever cash you have left.

not bad.

does anybody know if Reaper is compatable with 8.1.

i am not nor will ever be a Apple guy.

what would you recommend for a desktop?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
what would you recommend for a desktop?

Build one.

It's not difficult at all, you can taylor the specs to your personal tastes and needs, and it's upgradeable.
$500 will get you a mean machine (not counting peripherals like monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers...), even capable of running the latest games at high settings.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
You could definitely get an SM57 and a one/two-channel interface, and a computer that could handle it for $1,200.

Shure SM57: $100
M-Audio M-Track Pro: $150

At roughly $950 after applicable sales tax, you've got a lot of good options for a computer. If you're from the US, you could wait until the prices decrease before the holidays. I bought my laptop during that time two years ago: Intel 2.2 kHz Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1TB disk space for $700.
What are the specs of your current computer? Audio isn't as taxing as you might think.

Of the options presented, I'd say a decent recording setup would be the way to go.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
What are the specs of your current computer? Audio isn't as taxing as you might think.

Of the options presented, I'd say a decent recording setup would be the way to go.

its a core i3 2gb ram, i know hard drive isn't an issue, i have over 400 gig left.

in case it matters, there is NO software on here at all really. no microsoft word, eetc. no games, no music (i stream through google's cloud).

the only really is on it is pictures and some papers and essays from grad school. no itunes or anything like that either.

i have avast for virus protection.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Upgrade the RAM and it will probably work just fine. There's been a LOT of music recorded on far weaker systems than that.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Upgrade the RAM and it will probably work just fine. There's been a LOT of music recorded on far weaker systems than that.

good to know. for some reason i thought i was unable to go any higher? would you go to 4gb?

i have an interface and mic. the interface i think is probably too old its a fast track pro. two mic in and two trs

is reaper 8.1 friendly?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Cathbard
You need another tele. Get one of these and get into some slide.

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/guitars/ASAT_Junior_II/

i play slide on my 1982 Gibson sonex. way more mojo i love it, however it because my slide guitar because it needs a refret.

i got the guitar for $220.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I want one of those ASAT's. It's pretty much everything I want in a slide guitar. Well, except it's got one too many pickups - but I can live with that.
I've got a 7.25" radius tele and a 9.5" one. The ASAT is 12". I'd have the set. Oh well, it will have to wait - RM20 first.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Recording! Recording! Recording!

Build one.

If you know how to, or have a friend who does, this is definitely the cheapest and quality option you can go for. I don't know how much you can get microsoft suite for now, but there are some free options online like Open Office.

Upgrade the RAM

Another really cheap option if it's an option (not always for some reason).

As for audio interface price increase with the number of inputs. Scarlet Focusrite 2i1 is a good choice on the cheap. Or anything that says m-audio and you'll even get some sort of Pro Tools LE/SE wathever they call it. I now use Audacity though. It's free and has more effects than the basic Pro Tools I have.

Speaker for reference: Your car, if you own one. Best place to mix if you don't have a 1000$ to blow on speakers IMO. Otherwise, If you can find Yamaha HS5, those are good.

Microphone: Shure Sm57. That'll do voice and guitar for 100$.

Tips and tricks on recording: http://therecordingrevolution.com/
My favorite blog for recording.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
good to know. for some reason i thought i was unable to go any higher? would you go to 4gb?

i have an interface and mic. the interface i think is probably too old its a fast track pro. two mic in and two trs

is reaper 8.1 friendly?

What is the make/model (actual model number, from the sticker, not the cover/front/face) of the system?

Maybe, and even a good interface is pretty inexpensive, but I'd try it before I bought a new one.

As in "user friendly"? Well....sorta...it's not hard, but there is a learning curve.
Charles Darwin
He's talking like $20k+. **** that bollocks, I'll take the ASAT.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Arby911
What is the make/model (actual model number, from the sticker, not the cover/front/face) of the system?

Maybe, and even a good interface is pretty inexpensive, but I'd try it before I bought a new one.

As in "user friendly"? Well....sorta...it's not hard, but there is a learning curve.

ne58r50u

nxy1aa00431714b433400

thats all thats on it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
ne58r50u

nxy1aa00431714b433400

thats all thats on it.

Make? Dell/HP/Lenovo/etc? Laptop? Desktop? Tower? Also, what model does the faceplate say?

I'll let you know what your upgrade path is if you get me the details, but I'm reasonably sure you don't NEED a different system. (You may want one anyhow, but it sounds like you don't use this one very much anyway so let's use it if possible?)
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Make? Dell/HP/Lenovo/etc? Laptop? Desktop? Tower? Also, what model does the faceplate say?

I'll let you know what your upgrade path is if you get me the details, but I'm reasonably sure you don't NEED a different system. (You may want one anyhow, but it sounds like you don't use this one very much anyway so let's use it if possible?)

gateway laptop

where is the face plate.

sorry i thought i said gateway laptop.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup

i am not interested in a offset or semi/full. the offsets that have a 24"scale wouldn't work for me at all, and it is a big feel difference.

Just thought I'd point out that reverend has continuously offered 25.5" bolt-on offsets, from their made in the USA days:
https://reverb.com/item/317736-reverend-avenger-gt-avgt-1998-usa-black-white

...to their current lineup (all MiK):

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Reverend+make%3Areverend+make%3Areverend-guitars+Jetstream

(Just examples, not an exhaustive link.)

Quote by trashedlostfdup
gateway laptop

where is the face plate.

sorry i thought i said gateway laptop.

Here's the upgrade, but Gateway says your system came with 4gb RAM?

I have seen other places where it says 2, which means that GW tech support is about as good as the rest of them...

http://images.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=A8ABA621A5CA7304

If you already have 4, going to 8 will only help if you have a 64 bit Operating system (which wouldn't be a bad idea.)

I think your laptop, while inexpensive, will work just fine for what you want to do.
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Oct 21, 2014,
Upgrading a laptop is a hassle tough. At least from my experience. As for Reaper, it says its win8 compatible, so no problems there. I'd use win7 anyway, because win8 is shit.
Reaper shouldn't cause an issue. I'm on Win7, but Reaper updates constantly. Annoyingly often, even. I'd assume that they have it pretty compatible.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Arby911

I have seen other places where it says 2, which means that GW tech support is about as good as the rest of them...

If you already have 4, going to 8 will only help if you have a 64 bit Operating system (which wouldn't be a bad idea.)

I think your laptop, while inexpensive, will work just fine for what you want to do.

i am pretty sure its 2gb. i only paid $300 new because i needed a computer and my last one died (literally) i was just lucky i had carbonite. i bought it from tiger direct (formerly comp usa) and it was a refurbished.

well i have nothing excessively grand to record, just myself maybe micing two different amps and maybe double tracking.

its nice to hear reaper is windows 8 friendly. that saves some money... lol.

i think i am going to try my old interface i had issues installing it before, but i will try again. the interface installed but i coudn't figure out how to get the software working with it (i don't remember what software, but its a m-audio fast track.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Arby911

I think your laptop, while inexpensive, will work just fine for what you want to do

that is good to hear. hell if it works, i am more than happy with it.

its actually really fast, probably because i don't use anything on it other surfing the net/streaming my music.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Looks like most everyone is recommending you do what I've said along.

You have lots of killer amps and guitars already.

You also have a studio, teach lessons and have killer chops. Therefore, the answer is obvious.

yea 311 you hit it on the head for recording. part of the reason i never did it was because i thought i would need to lay out $2k for a computer and interface and protools, etc. now that i realize i can do it cheap and get decent results, its gonna happen (whenever i figure out the computer aspect (8.1) i will get it going)

thank you very much for complementing my chops. that is very nice of you.

it will be recording then something else down the line.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
ok, let me clarify this, Reaper WILL WORK on win 8.1. If you have doubts, just download the free trial and see if it works on a firends computer or whatever.
Page 1 of 2