Hello,
I am writing this shit because I watched Sound City movie and I am feeling completely lost and overwhelmed.

Since age of 13 I have been dreaming about becoming a rock musician, perhaps playing a role in the music industry - just make it in music. At the age of 15 music completely overtaken me and I bought my first guitar, a simple acoustic guitar. For 2 long years I was teaching myself playing it, playing songs that I liked back then. I still love them. At the age of 17 I decided that it's time to buy a serious instrument and my mom bought me my first electric guitar, Gibson Les Paul Custom Lite. Although this thought that it's too late to begin this path, it never stopped me. One year later I started to take private electric guitar lessons with an amazing musician. This dream of mine was still alive and was burning with fire, I would never stop practicing.

So here I am now, watched this movie about Sound City studio, the greatest studio in the ****ing universe, listening to the most biggest musicians of our time. I was always aware about auto-tune in pop music and Pro Tools in general music. But after I watched that movie, it felt like it's the ****ing end of the rock music. LIKE IT'S ALL ****ING DEAD. It felt like it's telling me "stop practicing, it's useless. Better go smoke some ****ing weed and start to watch TV" or something like that. I'm feeling lost. I don't really know what to do, it makes me cry at some point... Should I keep practicing? Or just move on with my life and get a boring life like most of the people got: graduate from the school, get a diploma, get a ****ing job and die knowing that I didn't change shit in this world and you didn't achieve something you always wanted.

This whole thing might sound ridiculous but I really don't know what I am now and what the **** am I supposed to do. I also can't stop thinking that I was born in the wrong age, in the wrong place...
Also I didn't know where else to dump this shit.
So you've given up your dream of becoming a rock musician because there are people who don't make music the way you want it to be made?

Also, calm down, it's completely natural to not know what you are supposed to do.
A lot of people have these big dreams about the future, but in reality it never turns out the way they imagined it. It's great to have something to live towards, but you shouldn't forget that things can always go wrong. You should always take into account that things can change or are not as great as you imagined.

If you want something really bad, you have to do everything you can to make it so. Don't wait until it just kinda happens to you.

And before you start sacrificing everything, make sure that you want to do what you want to do for the right reasons. Ask yourself why you seem to want it so badly.
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Oct 21, 2014,
I'm not giving up anything. Yet...
It's not really about people who don't make music the way I want it. It's more about the way music is supposed to be made... I don't know...

I mean, mostly I was talking about the movie and how it affected me. Did you watch it? Those people in there, they are my heroes, you can say that their art, their music, are the reasons I keep doing this. And at the end they are like "oh, **** this digital shit, I quit. It's all over."
Quote by RiseAgain
Those people in there, they are my heroes, you can say that their art, their music, are the reasons I keep doing this. And at the end they are like "oh, **** this digital shit, I quit. It's all over."

You don't have to follow your heroes blindly, do what they didn't, keep going and be the one to do what he wants, how he wants.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by RiseAgain
It's more about the way music is supposed to be made... I don't know...

Look, it's great that you're into rock music. And it's great that you perhaps think it's the best type of music or whatever. But I think you're making it (and music) out to be more than it actually is. It's just music. There's no cosmic law containing the guidelines for the production of the only music that is deemed worthy in the eye of the big amp in the sky.

People like certain sounds. People will make those certain sounds. People will experiment with the sounds they make. People will keep changing the sounds just because they like listening to different sounds.

You prefer a certain way of making music. Other people prefer another way of making music. Even if people start farting into a cup and calling that music, that's their right. I sure as hell won't want to listen to it, but it still doesn't make the music I want to make any more "real" than their farts-in-a-cup music is.

I mean, mostly I was talking about the movie and how it affected me. Did you watch it? Those people in there, they are my heroes, you can say that their art, their music, are the reasons I keep doing this. And at the end they are like "oh, **** this digital shit, I quit. It's all over."

I haven't seen the movie, but if they want to give up because things are going digital, that's their choice. I personally find that silly.

You have two choices, either you can adapt to changes (which are inevitable), or you can work harder to keep the things you want to keep.

It's great that you find role models in these people, and if it makes you happy to follow in their footsteps, that's great too. But they're trying to hold on to ideals which aren't as universal as they once were. And the only way they seem to know of to keep those ideals in place is by complaining how no one shares their ideals anymore.

It's like when people say grunge killed metal in the 90s. That's not true.
There was metal. There were people who liked metal. Then there was grunge. There were people who liked grunge, and then some people who liked metal thought: 'well, I think I like grunge more than metal', and they stopped listening to metal and only listened to grunge. Things just changed.

The fact is that rock musicians are working in an industry (the music industry). Just like any other industry it's going to be subject to change. If you want to stay in business, you'll have to find a way to market your product. That could be by finding and trying to appeal to a different target audience, by changing your product or by changing your business plan or whatever.

If you don't want to be in that business, you'll have to make music as a hobby or try to do it on your own terms (and most likely by yourself/with a small group of like-minded people).
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Oct 21, 2014,
Quote by Pastafarian96
You don't have to follow your heroes blindly, do what they didn't, keep going and be the one to do what he wants, how he wants.

Yeah, I know... I don't follow them blindly. It's more like a push to me. And I'm constantly looking for that push.
Yeah, I guess I overreacted or something... You're right. Thanks.

I'm gonna try to sleep now...
I think you haven't really seen the movie if this is what you got from it.
The movie is about the "EVOLUTION" of recording.

It's not even remotely close to a bad thing that people use software these days. there's still good music coming from studio's where they use a digital form of recording.

Next thing you're going to tell me is that you cried when analog watches became digital too?

and if you would have paid attention, you would've seen that they made a new studio with the gear from Sound City and Foo Fighters and a few other bands have already recorded albums the old way again.

Maybe you should go watch this if you want your "believes" back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sreMiSry_g

It's not about the recording side of things, but it's inspiring nonetheless.

Also you might want to go watch the TV-series Dave Grohl made for their new album when it comes out.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Last edited by BjarnedeGraaf at Oct 21, 2014,
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf

It's not even remotely close to a bad thing that people use software these days. there's still good music coming from studio's where they use a digital form of recording.

Next thing you're going to tell me is that you cried when analog watches became digital too?

and if you would have paid attention, you would've seen that they made a new studio with the gear from Sound City and Foo Fighters and a few other bands have already recorded albums the old way again.

Maybe you should go watch this if you want your "believes" back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sreMiSry_g

It's not about the recording side of things, but it's inspiring nonetheless.

Also you might want to go watch the TV-series Dave Grohl made for their new album when it comes out.

I did listen to that album. It has absolutely nothing to do with my problem...

I'll certainly take a look on this video.

Also I'm pretty bad at expressing myself on words... but this should do the job:
http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/gene-simmons-future-of-rock
Quote by RiseAgain
It felt like it's telling me "stop practicing, it's useless. Better go smoke some ****ing weed and start to watch TV" .

this is literally the answer man
In those old days it would cost loads to make a decent demo.
Now you can do something pretty decent on just Garageband.

I just finished making an album in a pro studio. Trust me, you'll enjoy it even if it's done on a DAW (digital audio workstation e.g. Pro-Tools or Logic).
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
It's now about the way that it's made anyway. it's the joy of giving life to the musical ideas in your head, be that it's done by tape recording or by pro-tools. if you're so focused on the way to record it you are thinking about music the wrong way.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
It's now about the way that it's made anyway. it's the joy of giving life to the musical ideas in your head, be that it's done by tape recording or by pro-tools. if you're so focused on the way to record it you are thinking about music the wrong way.

I don't think you can call it the wrong way of thinking about it.
I agree, at least on a personal level, that the idea is what's most important for music. However, I think the amount of emphasis put into the process is just individual preference. Some people want to replicate their original idea for others to hear as accurately as possible, and others just want to take their idea, guide it through their process and see what comes out.

Though I would agree with you that focusing obsessively on one part of the process can make you lose sight of the bigger picture.
I have seen the film. Pretty cool watch

Don't worry so much, ok?

Just keep practicing and keep learning more about (and making) music.

Yes, through a combination of bad management and ill preparation during the rise of digitally recorded music as well as a refusal to adapt to the current market, Sound City closed. Yes, it had a Neve Console. Yes, a lot of amazing records by amazing musicians were made there. Is it kind of sad that you, me, and bob down the street will never ever have a chance to record a record there? Yes.

Does that mean that you should throw your guitar in the trash bin and give up? Hell no!

I'll admit the industry seems to be in a strange place right now and the prospects aren't very bright, but if this is something you want then you need to work hard and become 'the best' as well as figure out where the money can be made and how you can survive. You need to not be so worried about a recording studio that closed and more worried about becoming the kind of musician with the chops to record in a studio.

If you like the way traditionally recorded tunes sound, then make that a part of your process. You may have to make some compromises, but you can certainly record in that way. Just because a studio that was devoted to that process closed, doesn't mean that rock is dead lol.
Lol this guy. Just make music for the love of it. If you feel you have nothing to prove then you can never be disappointed.
Quote by RiseAgain

So here I am now, watched this movie about Sound City studio, the greatest studio in the ****ing universe, listening to the most biggest musicians of our time. I was always aware about auto-tune in pop music and Pro Tools in general music. But after I watched that movie, it felt like it's the ****ing end of the rock music. LIKE IT'S ALL ****ING DEAD.

good riddance

now lets have some proper music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGdJrvskdv0
stop listening to rockstar bullshit, find your local punk scene and start actually enjoying yourself.

music's a lot more fun when you're not chasing some ambitious "play in a sold out stadium" pipe dream.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by willT08
good riddance

now lets have some proper music

Video

I feel like I'm at a hipster party on a college campus drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon listening to a guy with a bad looking beard wearing Real-D glasses talking about his record collection when I listen to this..

I don't know how I feel about that.

EDIT: Scratch the Pabst. It's definitely a 'Summer Shandy' type party.
Last edited by mjones1992 at Oct 21, 2014,
Quote by mjones1992
I feel like I'm at a hipster party on a college campus drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon listening to a guy with a bad looking beard wearing Real-D glasses talking about his record collection when I listen to this..

what the hell is america
Quote by willT08
what the hell is america

the greatest place on earth brother
i don't know why i feel so dry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd0JodHUe74

^tastefully sampled progressive DAW music

^https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqZFGkqK1vw

^fookin wub choon m8

VS real music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA7Mzo73cd4

I'd rather aspire to part of the greatest live band in existence, and make wubz in a DAW on the side. Pull a Devin Townsend and produce a bunch of numbskulls, this allows you to have financial capability whilst still making music.
Legato and fluidity in your playing is where it's at

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by mjones1992
I have seen the film. Pretty cool watch

Don't worry so much, ok?

Just keep practicing and keep learning more about (and making) music.

Yes, through a combination of bad management and ill preparation during the rise of digitally recorded music as well as a refusal to adapt to the current market, Sound City closed. Yes, it had a Neve Console. Yes, a lot of amazing records by amazing musicians were made there. Is it kind of sad that you, me, and bob down the street will never ever have a chance to record a record there? Yes.

Does that mean that you should throw your guitar in the trash bin and give up? Hell no!

I'll admit the industry seems to be in a strange place right now and the prospects aren't very bright, but if this is something you want then you need to work hard and become 'the best' as well as figure out where the money can be made and how you can survive. You need to not be so worried about a recording studio that closed and more worried about becoming the kind of musician with the chops to record in a studio.

If you like the way traditionally recorded tunes sound, then make that a part of your process. You may have to make some compromises, but you can certainly record in that way. Just because a studio that was devoted to that process closed, doesn't mean that rock is dead lol.

Finally someone who pretty much understood what am I trying to say. I calmed down a little bit right now but this whole thing is heartbreaking.

Anyway, no one seems to notice this article I left here yesterday:

Quote by RiseAgain
Finally someone who pretty much understood what am I trying to say. I calmed down a little bit right now but this whole thing is heartbreaking.

Anyway, no one seems to notice this article I left here yesterday:

you seriously take heart in what a washed up old rocker, who is known to be a huge dick, says about rock being dead?
The next Foo Fighters album will probably be another mainstream hit. Linkin Park is still a mainstream band.

Stop being so negative about this shit.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
He says that it's not gonna be the same at all for new bands. He says that new bands won't make it as they did.

Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
The next Foo Fighters album will probably be another mainstream hit. Linkin Park is still a mainstream band.

Yeah. So what? That's not my ****ing point.
Last edited by RiseAgain at Oct 22, 2014,
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf

+1000
Quote by Telecaster7
Oh dear, current affairs...
Quote by RiseAgain
He says that it's not gonna be the same at all for new bands. He says that new bands won't make it as they did.

you're being a little bitch. stop crying about it and just make some goddamn music
Anyone who listens to gene simmons is an idiot.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by RiseAgain

buddy you're just romanticising the past.

people were upset when cds came. now everybody thinks the kids should buy more cds

things change and that's a good thing but the important stuff stays the same.
Quote by Telecaster7
Oh dear, current affairs...
Quote by ultimate-slash
For as long as they'll stay appealing to a large audience.

I love how this post seems to make no sense anymore because the post before it was edited.

Just trust me on this everyone, it made sense earlier.
Quote by ultimate-slash
I love how this post seems to make no sense anymore because the post before it was edited.

Just trust me on this everyone, it made sense earlier.

wait... you tried to make sence of this?
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Well, I did try to make sense of all of this, but the points I try to make usually get overlooked because I'm very bad at actually getting to them

But that post I made was a reply to TS asking how long Linkin Park would be mainstream, but he changed his question to > "Yeah. So what? That's not my ****ing point."

That's why that particular post of mine didn't make sense anymore.
ahhh, gotcha! well you definitly made sence there
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by RiseAgain

Gene Simmons has always been and always will be 100% in it for the money. who gives a shit if you're not gonna make it to be some bullshit stadium rock *****s.

if you're in it to be a rich asshole though, by all means listen to Simmons.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo
if you're in it to be a rich asshole though

Not at all. But dude, you define rich as an asshole. That's just wrong.
Quote by RiseAgain

if the shoe fits.

and it fits on quite a few feet.
Quote by RiseAgain

Jake has a point, and Gene is an ass. I used to love KISS when I was younger, but he has some incredibly out of touch and downright ignorant viewpoints and prides himself on being a 'rich asshole'.

You can certainly be rich and not be an asshole, but if Gene Simmons is your idea of being rich and not being an asshole, I think most people will consider you an asshole whether you like it or not.

I feel like you're refusing to acknowledge the current state of the industry and would rather whine about it than adapt. This is the exact same attitude that the industry took on when the internet hit and now the entire industry looks like something out of a post-apocalyptic horror flick. A lot of good that attitude did.

Rock music isn't 'in'. If your goal when you picked up a guitar was to get rich and live out that 'rockstar dream', then yes, you were totally born in the wrong time. The fact is, the industry screwed itself in the bumhole with it's reaction to the internet and piracy. It's no longer commercially viable to take risks on acts that aren't working in genres that are tried and true at making money.

You can do 1 of 3 things:

1. Go sell that electric, go buy a nice acoustic-electric and start studying acoustic pop and electronic music. This will get you closer to what I believe your 'dream' is. Be sure to pay attention to what's going on in the Billboard 200. It'll still end up being more work than you thought it was.

2. Go make music you love and worry about bettering yourself as an artist and making enough to survive. This will require you to readjust your 'dream' quite a bit. No more fortune and fame, sorry! Just hard work. This is the 'for the love of music' approach.

3. Go find another career that pays well. Music can certainly be just a hobby. You can love your hobby. Hobbies are good Then you can stop worrying about this crap.
Gene Simmons is dumb as shit and rock always sucked.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.