Hi all,

I'm looking for a USB audio interface to connect my guitar (Strat) to my Win8 PC. Something like the Apogee Jam but for PC.

I'm not planning any recording or major sound editing - basically I'm looking for a way to play my guitar while my wife and kids are asleep.

Basic setup, Guitar -> A. Interface -> PC -> A virtual amp SW (probably Amplitube) -> Headphones.
No vocals or other instruments are needed.

My budget is <100$ but if there is no good option in that budget or there's something way better for a few dollars more I'll do it.

What is important to me is minimal latency and as good sound quality as possible (of course...)

I'm currently thinking of the StealthPlug CS but haven't found enough reliable reviews on it yet.

I will appreciate your help with this,

Thanks!
Get an unbranded guitar link.
They come for as low as £5 on amazon.co.uk and you can get them from every online store.
Well most of them anyway.

Then go in the recording section of this forum and read the stickies.
All of them.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Get an unbranded guitar link.
They come for as low as £5 on amazon.co.uk and you can get them from every online store.
Well most of them anyway.

Then go in the recording section of this forum and read the stickies.
All of them.

+1.

But read the stickies first.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Thanks for the replies,

I've read the stickies regarding the guitar links before.
Is there no added value for the ~50$ to 100$ interfaces (Stealthplug, Peavey xPort, Fender Slide etc...) over the simple guitar links?

Should I just not bother with any <100$ interface and cough up the dough for the Scarlett 2i2 for example?

Thanks again
the more expensive ones have a pad. You dont want an interface without one or else you will be dealing with too high a signal that clips or too low a signal thats weak. With an interface, ideally, you want the highest clean signal possible before it starts to clip, and thats achieved in an interface with a pad.

I use a tascam us-100. it cost me $70 and its built like a tank. I think its discontinued now, but if you can find one, its a really great plug and play interface.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Last edited by bustapr at Oct 21, 2014,
Quote by eyalna
Is there no added value for the ~50$ to 100$ interfaces (Stealthplug, Peavey xPort, Fender Slide etc...) over the simple guitar links?
Not anything worth noting.

The more money in these interfaces in particular goes in brand and more features you don't need, so since you're just starting out and you won't get a significant improvement unless you spend a lot more money you may as well get one of these unbranded guitar link's.
Quote by eyalna
Should I just not bother with any <100$ interface and cough up the dough for the Scarlett 2i2 for example?
Not with the 2i2 in particular 'cause it has very little input headroom and no input gain reduction, which in short words results in distortion if you plug a guitar with mid to high output p/ups straight into an instrument input.

Also you gotta get experience - maybe you'll end up not even liking the whole amp sims thing, who knows... ?
If I was you, I wouldn't spend much money for such thing at the beginning.
Quote by bustapr
the more expensive ones have a pad. You dont want an interface without one or else you will be dealing with too high a signal that clips or too low a signal thats weak. With an interface, ideally, you want the highest clean signal possible before it starts to clip, and thats achieved in an interface with a pad.
You chatting with sam lately?

The content of that quote box is so inaccurate it hurts.

A pad is a simple piece of circuit that reduces the input signal's strength.
If the interface's input headroom is high enough, or if the input gain knob goes below unity gain, pads are superfluous.

You want a pad only with an interface such as the 2i2 (which is the 2i4) 'cause it has low input headroom, meaning it'll not be able to receive a very strong signal before distorting it.

To put it simply, if you got an audio interface which is good and designed with care and so on, pad switches are useless switches more than anything else.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I'm playing a Start' Plus that has 3 Gold Lace Sensors.
Do you think / know if the output is considered low/high?

Thanks
If you're not planning on recording, have you ruled out the other options? It seems daft to buy an interface to listen to you playing guitar instead of its actual purpose, to record instruments. I hate to be that guy who suggests you something outside of your specified parameters, but some devices are designed for you to be able to play through headphones. Is there a reason you want to go with an interface?
Well,
I tried connecting headphones directly to my Amp - It didn't sound good, the sound was very flat.
I want to be able to connect my guitar to my PC so I could benefit from virtual amp software (i.e Amplitube / CS) and all the different amps/effects they offer (I sold all my pedals a few years ago). It's the best solution for me, to play while my family is at home / sleeping.

Is there another way to connect my guitar to a PC?

Thanks!
Quote by eyalna
I'm playing a Start' Plus that has 3 Gold Lace Sensors.
Do you think / know if the output is considered low/high?
Pretty low output, you shouldn't have any problem.

Still, I don't think it'd be a hell of an idea - say one day you'll wanna track a guitar with hotter p/ups...

Also for not much money than the 2i2 you can get much better sounding stuff, so I'd still recommend starting out with cheap stuff to decide if the thing's for you, and then step up with the quality if you'll feel like what you have's not good enough.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by eyalna
Well,
I tried connecting headphones directly to my Amp - It didn't sound good, the sound was very flat.
I want to be able to connect my guitar to my PC so I could benefit from virtual amp software (i.e Amplitube / CS) and all the different amps/effects they offer (I sold all my pedals a few years ago). It's the best solution for me, to play while my family is at home / sleeping.

Is there another way to connect my guitar to a PC?

Thanks!

A Zoom G3 could be a good investment.

All the effects & amp sims you'll need, good for practice through headphones, good for use with an amp, and a USB interface should you ever want to start recording.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
You definitely don't want to hook your guitar through an audio interface just to listen to it through headphones or even your computer speakers. However, a cheap option that allows you to do that plus provides the amp modeling that you need to make it sound right is the Line 6 Toneport.

But buying an multifx will do what you want without the computer. The cheapest decent one being the Zoom g1on at $50.
Thanks for all the replies!

I think I'll stick with the audio interface options, since I have put aside the money for it and having one might encourage me to start recording some stuff and progress a bit with my playing.

I dropped the Stealthplug since I understand now that it is yet just another guitar link with fancy branding.

So staying with the interfaces, from what I gather, in 99.99$ section i have these contenders:
1. iTrack Solo
2. Scarlett Solo (which I don't really know where it defers from the iTrack)
3. Line 6 Pod Studio GX

Any of them good?
Any other models you recommend better?
Should I skip them and move to the 150$ zone?

Thank you all for your help and patience!
For the third time, $100 will not get you a noticeably better sound than a guitar link.
Also the stealthplug does the same thing a guitar link does and it's similar to that but it's not a guitar link.

None of them three are good imo.

If you want something better than a guitar link get something that's really an improvement - a mackie onyx blackjack or a land duo capture ex.
That though will set you back of $200 more or less, and you may (probably) not be good enough at the rest to put it to good use.

Why won't you get a guitar link?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I already ordered an unbranded guitar link from ebay - I just didn't want to wast 21 days of delivery waiting for a Chinese junk.

But OK, I'll wait to try it out.
In case I won't like it I'll take a lock at the mackie onyx blackjack.

Thank you all for all the help!