Okay, relax, all you Metallica nuts! That new guy who plays bass near his ankles, used to play in a band called Suicidal Tendencies. On 1992's "The Art of Rebellion", check out track 2, "Accept my Sacrifice". About 17 seconds in starts this nasty sounding bass riff. Any idea on how Rob got that sound? I've been playing bass for over ten years, but i'm not an "effects guy"( although I have used an Ibanez PD7 Phat head for a little sustain). Sounds to me like Bass>envelope filter>distortion>wah>amp. Any thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1dYtKyIsOI&feature=player_detailpage

Thanks!
Sounds a bit like talkbox... I don't know. I haven't really heard of anybody using talkbox with bass.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
He does have quite a bit of hardware! *jealous* . I did see some wah pedals in there, as well as tons of other effects. I wonder if he even remembers what he used over 20 years ago. Like I said, I'm not much of an effects user, but I love the way that riff sounds! I don't think its a talk box. Sounds to me like he is letting up quick off the wah pedal, but with a sick gravelly tone.
It could be the EHX Bass Balls. That has kind of a similar sound to it.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115