Is using PC speakers a decent alternative for recording? Monitors are expensive

I would be using a Pod HD plugged into my laptop using USB, using Reaper as the DAW.

Any problems with that set up? I just wanna keep it simple?
Are you using your laptop speakers, then? Those things are horrible.

But I would say it depends on what you're trying to do. PC speakers are not a decent alternative, but if you're just recording to hear yourself play or whatever, then they'll be enough. If you're trying to actually record songs, then no they won't be good.
They can be OK for comparing your mix etc, but you'll need some decent headphones for when you're recording & mixing.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Good enough for monitoring your playing. Not anywhere near good enough for mixing.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yes, even as a hobbyist. Unless you want you want to make your life much much harder and your music sound worse, pick up a pair of monitors. You can easily find a decent pair for fairly cheap.
Quote by fly135
Go on Craiglist and buy a nice cheap used stereo used monitors.

FTFY
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by LivinJoke84
Is using PC speakers a decent alternative for recording? Monitors are expensive

No, and no they are not really.

M Audio do some ones that work really well for less than $100.

Use a pair of $100 phones as well to check out the detail

($100 phones - $1000 speakers)
Decent headphones and speakers are a pretty important part of recording... the hearing your music part.

I have used these effectively and consider them sort of a minimum monitor investment. With a few good reference tracks you can get good results.

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studiophile-Active-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B0051WAM64
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Spend $100 on some good headphones and use those. Not ideal for mixing, but at least they'll be far more flat and revealing than any speakers at that price.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I agree with most of the above. A good set of monitors is essential to a quality mix and computer monitors just aren’t designed for the kind of flat sound you need for recording mixes. As for headphones, the only thing I would caution is make sure you don't buy a set of headphones with accentuated EQ like Dr. Dre, Beats or other “celebrity” or “DJ” headphones that pump up the bass and high end tremendously. Your mix will sound great to you and horrible on any other system.
Quote by Cajundaddy
Decent headphones and speakers are a pretty important part of recording... the hearing your music part.

I have used these effectively and consider them sort of a minimum monitor investment. With a few good reference tracks you can get good results.

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studiophile-Active-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B0051WAM64

Hmmm, they're much cheaper than the ones I was looking at. The Krk Rokit speakers are about a tonne EACH
Quote by LivinJoke84
Hmmm, they're much cheaper than the ones I was looking at. The Krk Rokit speakers are about a tonne EACH

There's a HUGE difference. If the rokits are in your budget, you can pass right over the AV40s. They're the ABSOLUTE bottom level that anyone should monitor on. Rokits will last you a long time, mine have been treating me well for 3 years or so, and the more time you spend with any set of speakers, the better you will get at referencing on them.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite