I've got a combo amp that has great speakers but each speaker has it's own speaker cable unlike most cabs in which the speakers are all connected to one speaker jack. Here's a pic of what I'm dealing with.

(Invalid img)

They are Celestion Classic Lead 80 watt 8 ohm speakers. I plan on getting both a EVH 5150 III 50W head, and a Randall RG1003H 100W head which I'm going to run through this combo amp. What settings do I need to get these amps running without burning down the house? Is there some kind of Y speaker cable that I can just connect the combo's speakers to and then just set the amps to the 8 ohm output setting? Is it that simple?
The 5150 III 50 watt has two speaker output jacks. Plug both speakers in and switch the selector to 4 Ohms.

You could also rewire those two speakers to use only one speaker plug.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Last edited by lemurflames at Oct 21, 2014,
Yes and No.

Yes in that there are Y-cables like that, but no in that you'll need to set the head to 4 ohms since the speakers will be in parallel. Make sure you get a mono Y cable, not a mono to TRS.

Those are good speakers BTW, I ran one for quite some time with a Crate Palomino V16 and was very pleased.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Yes and No.

Yes in that there are Y-cables like that, but no in that you'll need to set the head to 4 ohms since the speakers will be in parallel. Make sure you get a mono Y cable, not a mono to TRS.

Those are good speakers BTW, I ran one for quite some time with a Crate Palomino V16 and was very pleased.

Damn, so that means the Randall 100 watt head wouldn't work right? As the head has two speaker outputs but the combo's speakers are only 80 watts apiece. I would have to rewire them to one single speaker plug. Something I don't have the skills to do...
Last edited by 2FoolForSchool at Oct 21, 2014,
Quote by 2FoolForSchool
Damn, so that means the Randall 100 watt head wouldn't work right? As the head has two speaker outputs but the combo's speakers are only 80 watts apiece. I would have to rewire them to one single speaker plug. Something I don't have the skills to do...

The Randall requires a minimum load of 4 ohms.

Buy this : http://www.zzounds.com/item--HOSYPP111

Plug both speakers into it, plug it into the Randall.

That's it.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
The Randall requires a minimum load of 4 ohms.

Buy this : http://www.zzounds.com/item--HOSYPP111

Plug both speakers into it, plug it into the Randall.

That's it.

But the 80 watt speakers can handle the 100 watt load of the head? Gotta be sure, can't have my "cab" getting blown out by an inferior backup head when I'm enjoying the bliss of the 5150 III.

This is all completely new to me I've dealt with nothing but SS combos since I started playing. This 5150 will be the first high end amp I've ever played out of. I'm very lucky I ran into a random thread that was talking about how the parallel outputs split the impedance. I was going to plug both speakers into each speaker output jack and switch the impedance to 8 ohms. With my lack of experience/knowledge a lot could go horribly wrong which is why I'm getting a solid state as a backup.
^ there are two of them so they're good for 160W. (assuming the same impedance for each speaker, which I'm guessing is the case.)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ there are two of them so they're good for 160W. (assuming the same impedance for each speaker, which I'm guessing is the case.)

Well I know that's the case with a normal cab. But each speaker in my combo has it's own plug.(as shown in the picture I posted in the OP) If you plug each speaker into the paralleled speaker jacks each speaker would take the full force of the 100 watt head which would be 20 watts too much if I understand how parallel speaker outputs work.

Hope I'm not getting annoying, I'm just playing it safe.
Last edited by 2FoolForSchool at Oct 22, 2014,
Quote by 2FoolForSchool
Well I know that's the case with a normal cab. But each speaker in my combo has it's own plug.(as shown in the picture I posted in the OP) If you plug each speaker into the paralleled speaker jacks each speaker would take the full force of the 100 watt head which would be 20 watts too much if I understand how parallel speaker outputs work.

You're not annoying, just wrong. A head that puts out 100w max puts out 100w max regardless of how many speakers are attached or how the speakers are wired.

It may deliver less (in the case of a SS amp) depending on impedance, but it won't deliver more.

Double the speakers, halve the wattage to each.

If it helps, think of your combo speakers as 2 1x12 cabs, which is basically how they are wired if they each have individual jacks.
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Oct 22, 2014,
Quote by Arby911
You're not annoying, just wrong. A head that puts out 100w max puts out 100w max regardless of how many speakers are attached or how the speakers are wired.

It may deliver less (in the case of a SS amp) depending on impedance, but it won't deliver more.

Double the speakers, halve the wattage to each.

If it helps, think of your combo speakers as 2 1x12 cabs, which is basically how they are wired if they each have individual jacks.

Oh so the only difference between a regular 2x12 cab and what I'm dealing with would be the cabinet would not split the 8 ohms into 4 ohms handling. Got it... Thanks for the info/help folks can't wait to get a hold of my gear!
Quote by 2FoolForSchool

No worries, I'm super-cautious too.

Yeah as arby said, it'll be alright. you're still splitting the signal equally between the two speakers ok.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
No worries, I'm super-cautious too.

Yeah as arby said, it'll be alright. you're still splitting the signal equally between the two speakers ok.

Sweet. I bought this combo used and it broke down within a day, great to know I can still put it to good use.
Quote by 2FoolForSchool
Sweet. I bought this combo used and it broke down within a day, great to know I can still put it to good use.

Consider that it wouldn't hurt you to learn a little about wiring and how to solder.

Rewiring those speakers is perhaps the easiest project you could possibly start with, and knowing how to do this type of stuff allows to you configure your gear the way YOU want it to be and to do it inexpensively.
Charles Darwin