Since I first saw one, I have wanted a Yamaha SA503 TVL. They went out of productions before I could get one, and they never pop up on the secondary market when I have the cash to get one.

However, I think I now have something close enough- a Reverend 2011 Manta Ray 390 LE. Even though it, too, is out of production, and their run may have been more limited (only about 99 were made), they're more common on the used market. And less expensive. Here's mine:

Lets compare the specs:

Yamaha SA503 TVL
Set Neck
24 3/4" = 628mm
Fingerboard Rosewood
Radius 14" = 355mm
Frets 22
Body Maple
Neck Maple
Bridge Chrome Bigsby Tremolo
Pickups Bar Single Coils X 3
Pickup Switch Dual 3-Way Selector Switches (All Access System)
Controls Volume 1, Volume 2, Volume 3, Master Tone
Colors Black, Translucent Blood Red

Reverend Manta Ray 390
body: semi-hollow with 6 mm solid maple flat top on korina, and 'shooting star' f-hole.
Black back and sides with cream binding. 18" x 14-5/8" x 1-3/4"
pickups: three Reverend P-90s, output/tone calibrated for each position. Hum cancelling when combined
neck: glued-on, one-piece korina, tilt-back headstock
truss rod: dual-action, access at headstock
scale: 24-3/4"
fingerboard: rosewood, 12" radius, single-layer binding, pearloid block inlays
frets: 22 medium jumbo
neck profile: medium oval
nut: 1-11/16" (42.86 mm) width, graphite
tuners: Reverend Pin-Lock Tuners
bridge: TOM w/ roller saddles, and Bigsby B70 tremolo
controls: custom volume, tone and bass contour

My experiences so far:

The neck is the heralded Reverend neck. Medium oval- not too big, not too small. Action is nice. The Bigsby is what it is.

The body feels so nice against me, with a large leather padded strap. It projects pretty well for a flat-topped semihollow. (I know, I know, like that matters...)

The sound is awesome. The 3 P90s sound HUGE, but they also have subtlety. Very responsive. Played some surf, jazz, punk, new wave, alt-rock, classic rock and metal on it so far, and nothing tripped it up. With the Bass contour knob, I can get super twangy or super heavy.

I might have to get another one... And I don't say that about many guitars.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
excellent
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Alas, no- I have never gotten around to recording myself.

But trust me, I am the SHIT and it is da BOMB!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
It projects pretty well for a flat-topped semihollow. (I know, I know, like that matters...)

Very important for those Kumbaya moments gathered around a bonfire on a sandbar in the middle of the Mississippi River.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I might have to get another one... And I don't say that about many guitars.

Wait. I thought you said that about ALL your guitars.
Last edited by dspellman at Oct 21, 2014,
Quote by dspellman
Very important for those Kumbaya moments gathered around a bonfire on a sandbar in the middle of the Mississippi River.

Damn skippy, son!

Wait. I thought you said that about ALL your guitars.

Nope. I like variety- I have just over 20 guitars now, and while I would buy guitars of those brands again, there are precious few I would buy the exact/substantially the same model of again.

So, for instance, I have 6 Jon Kammerers. Of those, the only "duplicates" are a Scorpius solidbody with a trem and a semihollow hardtail version.

I have 2 Fernandes Ravelles: one with the Sustainer in the neck, one LE Goldtop with the SD 59 & 4JB pickups. I'd like to get a SHIN Koi- which has the same pickups as the Goldtop.

I want to get a second Dean Cadillac to drop a set of engraved BareKnuckle Rebel Yells into, so it can be my Steve Stevens fanboi guitar.

I'm seriously contemplating a second Reverend Rick Vito for slide...but I may go with a Warhawk 390 II for that instead.

And now this Manta Ray is being all sexy & seductive...

Hell yeah Danny! That's a beaut, I enjoy a good new reverend day! Now get a new amp already!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13

Mmmm...that is an excellent suggestion.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1257936

All New Guitar Day threads must contain two of the following three items:

Pictures of your guitar
Clips/video
A reasonably thorough review.

This means more than "I like it, it's green, here are the specs." Please write at least a few complete sentences that would help someone who hasn't tried your guitar understand what you like about it. Specs are nice to include but don't add any content that couldn't already be found online - so add your own flavor and content to your review!

Each of these must be user-created. This means you must write the review or take the pictures or make the video. Stock photos or someone else's youtube videos are not acceptable.

Threads without these requirements will be closed and the user will be given a warning.

I can only see one out of the three wanted items...

Double standards ?

Oh and HNGD
*psst*

Look under the listed specs, and you'll see a summary of my experiences with it thus far.