I found a blues riff online that I'm trying to learn, but it calls for me to fret this chord, which it calls Eb9: xx5686.

Whether I bar the lower three strings of the 6th fret or play the two 6th fret notes with my ring and middle fingers, my pinky just does not reach the 8th fret. Well, it just barely gets over the 7th fret, but not enough.

This is sort of discouraging, since I've been playing 3 years. Is this considered an advanced chord, or is it something any aspiring player should have in his/her bag? If the latter, then I guess I really need to get to work on some stretching exercises...

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!
i just played it fine like this:

Index-5
Middle-6
Ring-6
Pinky-8

I laid my index kinda sloppily muting the A. It seems fairly awkward, especially if playing it in a progression. I do suggest the stretching excises. I put my right hand inbetween fingers on my left hand and spread my right hand (hope that makes sense) as far as I can without it hurting to much.
Barre on the 6th fret. That should help.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yea, it's much easier to just barre the 6th fret with your middle finger so its:

6 middle
8 pinky
6 middle
5 pointer
I can sort of get the four notes to ring true using the middle finger to bar the three bottom strings. However, I have to have the hand at a really weird angle compared to what I'm used to in order for the bar to work on the high E string while fretting the D string with my index and B string with my pinky.

While I cannot get the four notes to ring true at all if I do not bar the 6th fret, I do have a feeling that with stretching / reaching exercises, I ought to be able to get the pinky to reach far enough to fret the 2nd string 8th fret while my middle & ring are both fretting strings on the 6th fret, and it looks to me like this avoids the weird hand angle I have to use to play this chord using a 6th fret bar.

While it seems like more work to get the stretch I need to play this without a barre, it just feels to me like I'll ALWAYS struggle with the way I have to hold my hand to make this work as a barre, whereas at least with the other way, there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel. where I have better pinky reach and can play this chord (and chords with similar stretches) with my hand in relatively normal position.

If this were a very rare chord to play, I might just suck up barring it, but I saw it's in another blues riff I wanted to learn, so I'm thinking it might be a common blues chord, which has me thinking it would be worth the effort of learning to stretch it out.

Ken
1) That's really just a terrible chord voicing - it's awkward.

2) that's not a 9 chord - there is no 9 it's a 7th chord voicing without the root, and a bad one at that.

3) Eb9 would be xx5666 - you bar the top three strings with your third finger. That's a usable voicing you will be using your entire life! play the root if you're playing alone, as in : x65666 - since it will fill the space a bit better.
yea, I wasn't paying attention last night, the chord in the OP is a G diminished and would be easier to play the same exact notes this way:
x
x
Personally, I wouldn't bar this (my knuckle collapses). I agree with iMDesigner.

Make sure you're wrist isn't bent, and especially not so you're "hugging" the guitar neck, otherwise that will definitely reduce how far you can reach.

The chord is an Eb7 with a 3 in the bass.

Here's a couple of simple shapes, but nice voicings, in a progression for part of a blues in E.
Pretty tense sound. 2 bars per chord, for example.

05665x 08998x 06777x 05666x 05665x
E13 ------G13/E -- F13b9---E13b9 E13
Quote by reverb66

2) that's not a 9 chord - there is no 9 it's a 7th chord voicing without the root, and a bad one at that.

3) Eb9 would be xx5666 - you bar the top three strings with your third finger. That's a usable voicing you will be using your entire life! play the root if you're playing alone, as in : x65666 - since it will fill the space a bit better.

I agree. The voicing sounds pretty bad. I wouldn't even try to play it. The voicing reverb66 suggested would sound better and be easier to play.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by jerrykramskoy
The chord is an Eb7 with a 3 in the bass.

Yea, if another instrument is playing the Eb. I still don't see why wherever he's learning it from called it a 9 chord.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
Yea, if another instrument is playing the Eb. I still don't see why wherever he's learning it from called it a 9 chord.

Me neither! It isn't a 9th. But the higher the number, the greater the kudos for the teacher :-)

Yes, agree about someone else playing the Eb root missing from the bass of the chord.

cheers, Jerry
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Oct 22, 2014,
Okay, well, I had been googling to find some basic/standard/"must learn" blues riffs, and I quickly found two that used this chord shape, so I had thought it might be a common blues thing. Then I starting thinking maybe this kind of stretch was a common part of guitar playing in general that I had been neglecting.

With respect to other voicings for the same chord (whatever it's called), I think in the context of the particular blues riffs at issue, it is played where it is because of the notes/chords you play around it, without moving the handle up or down the neck so you can riff it faster. If I were to move to a different part of the neck for this, I'd have to consider transposing the whole riff to the new part of the neck, or I might have an issue with how fast I can move back and forth between different parts of the neck.

But based on the posts above, I am thinking this chord may be an aberration / rarity, and it's just coincidence I found it in two riffs during my search, so I won't sweat it, I'll just focus on other -- more playable -- blues riffs.

Ken
Quote by krm27
I found a blues riff online that I'm trying to learn, but it calls for me to fret this chord, which it calls Eb9: xx5686.

Whether I bar the lower three strings of the 6th fret or play the two 6th fret notes with my ring and middle fingers, my pinky just does not reach the 8th fret. Well, it just barely gets over the 7th fret, but not enough.

This is sort of discouraging, since I've been playing 3 years. Is this considered an advanced chord, or is it something any aspiring player should have in his/her bag? If the latter, then I guess I really need to get to work on some stretching exercises...

Ken

well, it's a diminished triad. There are 2 ways you could play it

you either use all 4 fingers, or you barre with the middle.

as far as it being a "bad" voicing. it is what it is. There is no other voicing for a diminished triad on the top 4 strings.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by krm27
Okay, well, I had been googling to find some basic/standard/"must learn" blues riffs, and I quickly found two that used this chord shape, so I had thought it might be a common blues thing. Then I starting thinking maybe this kind of stretch was a common part of guitar playing in general that I had been neglecting.

Ken

It's probably not all that common, but there's no reason not to learn it and be able to play it. It is a kind of weird shape, with that pinky stretch, but it shouldn't be too hard. Try that shape as an open chord, so that you can easily play all the notes (xx0131), and see if you like the sound of that chord voicing. If you do, practice that pinky stretch so you can move the shape around, and have that chord in your arsenal.
I don't mean to sound mean or discouraging but if you can't stretch your index - pinky from 5-8 you need to practice more >.< that should be so natural..it's not even stretching lol its just placing your fingers naturally on the fretboard
Here's a lovely sounding couple of chords, where stretches and/or weirdness are required to play them.

Am9: 5x541x
Am11: 5 7 9 5 8 10 This requires playing the 9th fret with little finger, and curling it to also fret the 10th fret on the high E.
Quote by bloodandempire
I don't mean to sound mean or discouraging but if you can't stretch your index - pinky from 5-8 you need to practice more >.< that should be so natural..it's not even stretching lol its just placing your fingers naturally on the fretboard

You apparently missed the point. The index to pinky stretch is not the issue, of course I can do a 5-8 stretch from index to pinky. It's not even a stretch, it's just having your four fingers cover four frets, no big deal. The problem is when you put the ring finger on the 6th fret, then stretching the pinky to the 8th fret is tricky (at least lower on the neck, obviously gets easier the higher up on the neck you go). And if you try to bar the G, B and high E strings on the 6th fret with your middle finger, which requires the hand to be pulled down to a point that it is again a tough stretch to get the pinky to the B string, 8th fret, without muting the high E. I tried it both ways without success before starting this thread to get feedback on this.

And thanks to those who offered something constructive along those lines. I can tell that either of these fingerings would be "doable" with practice and stretching exercises, and now i don't feel so bad about having trouble with this chord in the first place.

Ken
Nobody in the history of blues has or is now playing that voicing....let's move on people!
Quote by reverb66

Lol agreed.