I have a new 15 watt 1x8 LINE 6 amp I am going to use for practice for the first time. I mean even at 1/4 way turned up this guy sounds loud, do you think this will be sufficient to match the drums when at full volume during practice? We're playing metal, and its in a larger room, plenty of space between me and the drummer. How should I set up the amp, and specific direction or anything?
Not really. But to maximize its effectiveness, get it off the ground and point it at your heads. You'll probably hear it but it will sound shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Why do you say no? I've read other people saying 15 watts is sufficient...
It's 15 watts of a Line 6 solid state. Not the same as 15 watts of tube power.
People who say 15 watt is enough assume a lot of other things. Watt doesn't mean much at all. No, I don't think your amp will be near enough.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by mrnothing
Why do you say no? I've read other people saying 15 watts is sufficient...

Since it's metal, your drummer will play loud. People sometimes underestimate how loud drums are. There's the tube vs. solid state notion, but I think there's more to that than the idea that tube amps are rated differently, Cathbard might explain that.

The other glaring obstacle for you, other than the power rating, is that you'd be playing through a 1×8. If it was a 4×12 or more, then it might be more of a debate.
Last edited by chrismendiola at Oct 22, 2014,
It's pretty simple really. Power is supposed to be rated at a certain %THD. 5% IIRC. The amp can go louder than that but it's distorting more. You can run a tube amp much further into distortion than a SS amp before it sounds bad. So even though a tube amp is rated at 15W, the reality is that it can push quite a bit more before you want to set fire to it. Power amp distortion in a SS amp is atrocious so in practical terms 15W is all you've got.
But even then, you aren't talking about a lot of dB difference. The problem isn't the power, the problem is that a 15W Spider sounds like shit at all volumes and just doesn't cut through. Don't get hang up on power ratings, other factors are more important. The crappy little 8" speaker being a big part of that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 22, 2014,
Does it get much louder at max volume level comparing to 1/4? Most likely it won't be 4 times louder.
It probably won't work unless you get it at ear level and your drummer is pretty quiet. And if it does work, the sound will be much less than ideal.

If your going to be playing with others you need a new amp that is able to keep up.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
8" speaker? Solid state? Playing metal, you say? Nah, brotha, you won't be able to even hear your amp. But as others have said, if that's all you can do, put the amp up high and point it at both of your heads. It'll just sound trebley, small, and lacking in depth. But at least you might be able to practice. Also, if you can get a plexi-glass screen for your drummer (like they use in some churches), that could help reduce his volume so that you have a more even mix.

I used to have a Marshall Valvestate 65 watt combo (12" speaker) and that wasn't enough to be heard over my drummer. Later I bought (more like I was scammed into ignorantly buying) an MG 100 halfstack to combat that problem. I still had a hard time hearing myself over the drummer, since anything over "5" on the volume of that P.O.S. made its terrible tone even worse -- unlistenable, in fact.

I suggest saving for a 60+ watt high-gain tube combo of some sort. It will absolutely work for your situation and you'll be able to "feel" your riffs which is very important in metal.
Last edited by KailM at Oct 22, 2014,
How is your economy at the moment? Can you imagine saving about 300-500 bucks for a new amp? Maybe even less if you find a good deal.
Tube 15 watt (n my case Orange Tiny Terror) managed to hang with a drummer in a metal project. Had to set it on max. On the other hand the buzzy mess that is the Spyder is barely noticeable without a drummer, so the answer will be definitely "no".